Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Pikeville
But back to the topic....
A-TRAIN Wrote:His dad coached Phelps before and after JI played for Pikeville, just seems odd.

Butch did not coach at Phelps while JI was at Pikeville is what I am saying.
I know, I just find it funny that he coached Phelps before his son played high school ball and again after his son graduated. Wouldn't it have provided more solidity to the Phelps program had he stayed the entire time and wouldn't his son have gone down as one of the greatest players in Phelps football history?
I thought this thread was about Pikeville, not Phelps... can we stick to that and NOT Butch Joplin's coaching tenure?
I tried to get back to the topic a few posts ago.
Coaching Pikeville essential needs that have been discussed up to this point.

1. Run this program from little league on up.
2. Have an excellent weight LIFTING program.
3. Recruit? (Halls of Pikeville)
4. Thickest skin alive
5. Score points in droves
6. PLAY MORE JV GAMES
7. Bring an exciting offensive style and a very aggressive hard hitting defense
8. Find people that have been to Louisville as a player or coach and understand what its like to feel the heart beat of championships,
9. Professional with his administration, staff, and players
10. Have a passion for coaching.
What else does this program need to address to get back on top from a coaching point of view?
It's very difficult for Pikeville to recruit anybody unless they move to the city limits or live in a different county. There isn't much housing in the city either. The reason why is the county was losing too many students to Pikeville schools so they capped it. The only way you get in now is in kindergarden, and only depending on the amount of tuition students that have graduated. 10 graduate, 10 get in kindergarden and preference is shown to those who have siblings already in the city school system. This doesn't apply to say Floyd county, which the line is only about 5 miles down the road. You can live there, and pay tuition and go to Pikeville, they haven't capped it. Not yet anyway.
fairplayer Wrote:It's very difficult for Pikeville to recruit anybody unless they move to the city limits or live in a different county. There isn't much housing in the city either. The reason why is the county was losing too many students to Pikeville schools so they capped it. The only way you get in now is in kindergarden, and only depending on the amount of tuition students that have graduated. 10 graduate, 10 get in kindergarden and preference is shown to those who have siblings already in the city school system. This doesn't apply to say Floyd county, which the line is only about 5 miles down the road. You can live there, and pay tuition and go to Pikeville, they haven't capped it. Not yet anyway.
Recruiting is illegal per KHSAA by-laws and should not be discussed here.
State Champs Wrote:Coaching Pikeville essential needs that have been discussed up to this point.

4. Thickest skin alive
6. PLAY MORE JV GAMES
8. Find people that have been to Louisville as a player or coach and understand what its like to feel the heart beat of championships,

I couldn't agree more. Pikeville should have one of the states leading rushers, passers, and receivers every year, with their district competition.
A-TRAIN Wrote:no one can prove it, no one tried to, we all knew that those kids would be special athletes no matter where they played, the Harmon kid I can understand, that is just a move in the county, seen it happen many times, but the parents usually dont wait until between 8th and 9th grades to do it, the others, moving in from WV, not sure what their incentive was, but with HH coming off 3 state championships, who knows, funny thing is that they had to drive right past Belfry to get from Logan to Pikeville, never could understand why Joplin played at Pikeville when his dad coached Phelps

didnt the good basketball shooter from P-Burg come to Valley a few years back for his junior and senior years, I'm no homer, just calling it as i see it
Take it for what it's worth but the reason Daniel Harmon is at Pikeville High School is because his good friend and cousin J.P. Newsome (Golf) transferred there. (Along with Mac Fain)
Elwayfan Wrote:I couldn't agree more. Pikeville should have one of the states leading rushers, passers, and receivers every year, with their district competition.
That is one reason they don't have them. Starters only play 2-3 quarters per game in district play.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Recruiting is illegal per KHSAA by-laws and should not be discussed here.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
State Champs Wrote:Coaching Pikeville essential needs that have been discussed up to this point.

4. Thickest skin alive
6. PLAY MORE JV GAMES

Number 10 should be no. 1. Anyone without the passion shouldn't even apply.
Faith Wrote:Recruit!

The only recruit Pikeville needs is Breathitt,s John Chapman.
stripminer Wrote:The only recruit Pikeville needs is Breathitt,s John Chapman.

Best post I have seen on here in awhile. VERY true.
hawkhead Wrote:To be elite....get the coal business booming, give some daddies the jobs, their kids apartments, get Beechwood to drop football, convince Hazard to go to Class AA, and plant grass where the turf used to be !

Maybe old stripminer can help some daddies with coal jobs. haha

4. Thickest skin alive
6. PLAY MORE JV GAMES

I hear there is talk about changing from a little league format to a grade level format. For example there would be 3rd grade team, 4th grade team etc. :confused:
stripminer Wrote:Number 10 should be no. 1. Anyone without the passion shouldn't even apply.
I agree. Like Vince Lombardi said. "IF a coach doesnt have fire and enthusiasm, he will get fired with enthusiasm".

4. Thickest skin alive
6. PLAY MORE JV GAMES
11. Quality Assistant coaches whom are on the same page, (which kind of goes with #'s 8-10)
This comment was not intended to put down any of the assistants that are at Pikeville now they are all qualified assistants and asst. coaches. I was merely saying that any head coach needs to know that he has assistants that has his back and share the same goals!!!
CoachB Wrote:11. Quality Assistant coaches whom are on the same page, (which kind of goes with #'s 8-10)
[quote=CoachB]This comment was not intended to put down any of the assistants that are at Pikeville now they are all qualified assistants and asst. coaches. I was merely saying that any head coach needs to know that he has assistants that has his back and share the same goals!!![/quote]

Nice Post!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
CoachB Wrote:11. Quality Assistant coaches whom are on the same page, (which kind of goes with #'s 8-10)

Have you put your name in the hat Coach B?
No, my name is not in the hat.
Elwayfan Wrote:Have you put your name in the hat Coach B?
phs1986 Wrote:[quote=CoachB]This comment was not intended to put down any of the assistants that are at Pikeville now they are all qualified assistants and asst. coaches. I was merely saying that any head coach needs to know that he has assistants that has his back and share the same goals!!![/quote]

Nice Post!!!

I think the next coach a Pikeville High school needs to understand that his assistant coaches will be most of the coaches all ready on board.

This brings up another important point. The time table for success of Pikeville football and the next coach will depend on how the Head coach can get the assistant coaches to coach his schemes on both sides of the football.
A-TRAIN Wrote:His dad coached Phelps before and after JI played for Pikeville, just seems odd.

He coached at Phelps after JI trust me.