Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley
I don't try to hide that I am a huge SV fan and I hope no one faults me for it. I was just thinking tonight about what a great run we have had in this new millenium,I went back and looked at all the wins and losses and here is some of the most impressive data...

Since the the 2000-2001 season (this is the 8th season since then) Shelby Valley is 120-17 against regional competition a win percentage of 88%.

Currently they are on a 19 game win streak against regional competition dating back to the regional championship game against Johnson Central at the Expo in the 05-06 campaign.

Also they are currently on a 38 game home win streak.

During that time period SV has captured 4 out of 7 regional titles. (02,03,05,07) As well as 4 out of 7 district crowns.

That is a pretty impressive run for any school in the 15th. Especially one that until 01-02 had never won a regional title.

I had just never thought about what a good run Shelby Valley basketball was really on...
And it looks as if things are only going to get better in the Valley! Very impressive indeed!
Larry Legend Wrote:I don't try to hide that I am a huge SV fan and I hope no one faults me for it. I was just thinking tonight about what a great run we have had in this new millenium,I went back and looked at all the wins and losses and here is some of the most impressive data...

Since the the 2000-2001 season (this is the 8th season since then) Shelby Valley is 120-17 against regional competition a win percentage of 88%.

Currently they are on a 19 game win streak against regional competition dating back to the regional championship game against Johnson Central at the Expo in the 05-06 campaign.

Also they are currently on a 38 game home win streak.

During that time period SV has captured 4 out of 7 regional titles. (02,03,05,07) As well as 4 out of 7 district crowns.

That is a pretty impressive run for any school in the 15th. Especially one that until 01-02 had never won a regional title.
I had just never thought about what a good run Shelby Valley basketball was really on...
You might want to go back and check it out, but I'm pretty sure that there were some boys just from Virgie that were able to accomplish that very same thing all by themselves on several occasions.:confused:

Taint nothin nu!!!!
Yeah, and don't forget the 1942 Dorton team...
this all started with with 2 great seniors in the 2000-2001 season with two great seniors: Shannon Akers and CHASE HALEY
The team SV has now mostly consist of players whom played together as an AAU team and had great success and that success has carried over to their High School career. Congrats. SV on a great season and good luck the rest of the season. This season will not be the only one you will be talking about because of this young but experienced SV team.
That is impressive. Even since the 99-00 season Shelby Valley's overall record is 201-59. The region record is 136-22, and the 59th district record since the 99-00 season is 54-6. Impressive indeed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VERY VERY impressive...Looks as if it may get alot better within the next 3 seasons....but after that i think Valley may come back down to earth alil.Smile..all good things come to an end somehow someway...
KC 1973 Wrote:The team SV has now mostly consist of players whom played together as an AAU team and had great success and that success has carried over to their High School career. Congrats. SV on a great season and good luck the rest of the season. This season will not be the only one you will be talking about because of this young but experienced SV team.

AAU has been the ticket to Shelby Valley's success. However, once the current sophomore class graduates, things could easily turn south for Shelby Valley.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:However, once the current sophomore class graduates, things could easily turn south for Shelby Valley.

While there probably will be a dropoff from the current group, don't look for things to go totally south. There are still some potentially nice players in the Dorton/Virgie pipeline...
Not bad. Of course Virgie was good before. SV has done well and even if they do have a drop off which happens to all schools, they will bounce back in the years to come. SV and their prior schools have always been good.
A very impressive run indeed. Just look at the rafters in Valley's gym and you can see the regional dominance the program has had in this decade. It SHOULD continue to be this way until this current group of players has graduated. I have heard that Virgie's basketball teams have hit the skids since that team went through so unless Dorton is having good success, Valley's days of control in the 15th should be up by the turn of the decade. But either way this is extremely rare to see one school control a region for a complete decade. Hats off to coach Rowe for starting it and to Booher for continuing the revamped tradition at Valley.
The group that will be freshmen when this sophmore group graduates are currently 6th graders, so it's hard to project exactly what type of players they will make. However, both Dorton and Virgie have some potentially nice players in those lower grades...
I have watched, coached and respected this bunch since their early days of AAU!
They have no greater friend here in the 57th than me!
Their parents are great too!!!
The King Wrote:The group that will be freshmen when this sophmore group graduates are currently 6th graders, so it's hard to project exactly what type of players they will make. However, both Dorton and Virgie have some potentially nice players in those lower grades...

Thats good to hear. I don't think that Valley will be a dominant force like recently but still the region may always be up for grabs.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:AAU has been the ticket to Shelby Valley's success. However, once the current sophomore class graduates, things could easily turn south for Shelby Valley.

Agreed. Hopefully Valley will win some more regional titles in the next 3 seasons, because after that sophomore class is gone it may be a while until they have a chance to win it again.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Those are some pretty impressive numbers for any team.
I am a Belfry fan fan but am impressed with the run.

To be honest though, unless the holdback rule is changed in Pike County it will be a long long time before a region title is won from Pike County after this Soph class is gone.

That rule is only hurting the future of programs like SV, PC, Belfry, and ER.

Shelby Valley is example #1 of why it is a GOOD thing to hold your child back for maturity reasons.