Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgia 13 Kentucky 12
Final.

Better game than most thought.
The ball just didn't bounce their way. So many close calls . Wiped out pick six was HUGE!

From a poster on another board:

"The defense gave up 13, you absolutely need to put more on the shoulders of your offense.

If I'm calling the game, we absolutely take a fade route shot with 9 seconds left at the half. We absolutely go for it on 4th and 2 the first drive of the 2nd half. We absolute DO NOT PUNT THE BALL WITH A CHANCE TO CONVERT AND KICK A FG WITH TIME EXPIRING.

Valiant effort from the team, squandered by the coaching staff. "
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • -STAT-
(09-15-2024, 12:30 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The ball just didn't bounce their way. So many close calls . Wiped out pick six was HUGE!

Was extremely early but the missed call where we got a 15 yard penalty after one of our players got his helmet ripped off and thrown to the ground that ended in a punt was a tough one.

We'll get that call during basketball season but hardly ever during football.
We got nothing to lose why punt with 4th and 4 with 3 minutes to go? Georgia's offense had momentum. We had zero shot getting that ball back with time to do anything.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Bluecat
I'm just happy this team doesn't suck. The offense though...
(09-15-2024, 01:40 AM)Spud6 Wrote: We got nothing to lose why punt with 4th and 4 with 3 minutes to go? Georgia's offense had momentum. We had zero shot getting that ball back with time to do anything.

Did that look familiar, Spud?   Zac Taylor punted the ball on fourth down last week with even less time remaining. The Patriots had run the ball all over Cincy all game long. Everyone in the stadium, but the dumb Bengals' coach knew Cincy wasn't getting the ball back. When you are in a position to win the game, especially with Burrow and Chase, you don't punt your last opportunity away. Same for Stoops tonight. KY might not be in the position of having the ball to beat GA again for another decade. You've got to seize the moment and give your offense a chance to make a play for history.
(09-15-2024, 01:40 AM)Spud6 Wrote: We got nothing to lose why punt with 4th and 4 with 3 minutes to go? Georgia's offense had momentum. We had zero shot getting that ball back with time to do anything.

STOOPS HAS NO BALLS!!!!!
I'm beyond pleased with this game. Moral victories don't count, but man this was a good one. Compared to last week, what a turnaround!
Would Justin Haddix have punted the ball on fourth down with 3 minutes to go and down by 1 point? Would Hal Mumme? Spurrier?
(09-15-2024, 02:11 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: I'm beyond pleased with this game. Moral victories don't count, but man this was a good one. Compared to last week, what a turnaround!

I DO think moral victories count.  UK fans were hot and rowdy from the very first, and I was so pleased with the defense.  I even got a little bit of confidence back for the QB.
I'm pleased with this game, and hope and pray that we can play this way for the rest of the season.  If we do, it'll be worth watching.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Cactus Jack, The Red Eminence
I gotta watch this one.  Ol Cletus feel in the water trying to put a fish on the stringer.  Ol Cletus was flopping and splashing in the water, hollering help me Kong help! Ol Kong just calmly said stand up.  Cletus was just in 2-3ft of water!
Ol Cletus finally got out of the water. Thought we'd get to keep fishing,  but Ol Cletus was upset he was wet.  Whining and crying around until we pack up and left. 
So that's how I got back in time to catch the game  Big Grin

Glad I got to watch this one.  Don't think anyone thought it'd be this close.  Believe we kinda shocked the nation in a way.  

If we can play Georgia that close,  we should be able to hang in there with anyone.  Gotta get something more going on offense. 

Idk what all was said or went on in practice this past week.  Things turned around pretty quick for the most part.
[-] The following 1 user Likes King Kong's post:
  • The Red Eminence
Just don't understand why we punt there. We go for it and don't get it then we are on defense anyhow. We get it and we are close to a potential game winning FG. I just don't understand it.
(09-16-2024, 08:51 PM)Bluecat Wrote: Just don't understand why we punt there. We go for it and don't get it then we are on defense anyhow. We get it and we are close to a potential game winning FG. I just don't understand it.

Go and fail to convert and they're more likely to be in field goal range.

We punt and pin them deep, then hold and we're in better position to kick a winning field goal.

Think we were beat either way honestly. They were the better team and they had all the momentum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • The Red Eminence
Man, so much to take away from this game. I think we were all on the same page that Kentucky wouldn't have a chance in hell to win, that it would get ugly early.

In Stoops tenure, there have always been 2 constants that are aligned with him. Undisciplined football teams, and conservative clock management.
The latter really showed tonight at the end of the first half, just so conservative w/ the play calling & time management. At least give your offense a chance to get in the end zone, getting a field goal was going into the locker room, but a TD would've been massive. Also, the pick 6 would've been massive as well, I told my wife when it got overturned that that's the life of a Kentucky football fan, had a feeling that the game would change from that point and Georgia would turn it up, but much credit to UK defense, they held strong and really shut down a potent UGA offense.

Obviously had our chances in the 4th, and I guess I'll be one of those that dies on the hill of going for it on 4th, scared money don't make money. Just showed that Stoops is his own worst enemy, but I guess that's why we're all on here and he's making $9 mill a year. I wasn't heartbroken with this loss, would've loved to see them pull off a monumental upset and make history, but like I also told my wife "Kentucky football, hope for the best but expect the worst"
[-] The following 1 user Likes -STAT-'s post:
  • King Kong
(09-17-2024, 12:55 PM)-STAT- Wrote: Man, so much to take away from this game. I think we were all on the same page that Kentucky wouldn't have a chance in hell to win, that it would get ugly early.

In Stoops tenure, there have always been 2 constants that are aligned with him. Undisciplined football teams, and conservative clock management.
The latter really showed tonight at the end of the first half, just so conservative w/ the play calling & time management. At least give your offense a chance to get in the end zone, getting a field goal was going into the locker room, but a TD would've been massive. Also, the pick 6 would've been massive as well, I told my wife when it got overturned that that's the life of a Kentucky football fan, had a feeling that the game would change from that point and Georgia would turn it up, but much credit to UK defense, they held strong and really shut down a potent UGA offense.

Obviously had our chances in the 4th, and I guess I'll be one of those that dies on the hill of going for it on 4th, scared money don't make money. Just showed that Stoops is his own worst enemy, but I guess that's why we're all on here and he's making $9 mill a year. I wasn't heartbroken with this loss, would've loved to see them pull off a monumental upset and make history, but like I also told my wife "Kentucky football, hope for the best but expect the worst"

Good post.

Interesting tidbit from the Old School Hound Sports Bureau. Only 3 times in the past five years has Gorgia been held to less than 20 points on the road in a regular season game.

...  All three times were at Commonwealth Stadium.

And now you know...the REST... of the story.
[-] The following 4 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • -STAT-, Cactus Jack, Granny Bear, King Kong
(09-17-2024, 01:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 12:55 PM)-STAT- Wrote: Man, so much to take away from this game. I think we were all on the same page that Kentucky wouldn't have a chance in hell to win, that it would get ugly early.

Good post.

Interesting tidbit from the Old School Hound Sports Bureau. Only 3 times in the past five years has Gorgia been held to less than 20 points on the road in a regular season game.

...  All three times were at Commonwealth Stadium.

And now you know...the REST... of the story.

@Old School Hound I actually had seen that stat as well, I guess that is something for Kentucky to be proud of, but like you & Paul Harvey said, the rest of the story.
1. Its Georgia
2. You them on the ropes
3. If you go for it and dont make it, no one will care, its Georgia
4. You took the (cat) way out
5. You told your offense you dont trust them to make a bit play in a big game
6. You lost the locker room further than you already have

FIRE STOOPS!!!
(09-17-2024, 08:06 PM)plantmanky Wrote: 1.  Its Georgia
2.  You them on the ropes
3.  If you go for it and dont make it, no one will care, its Georgia
4.  You took the (cat) way out
5.  You told your offense you dont trust them to make a bit play in a big game
6.  You lost the locker room further than you already have

FIRE STOOPS!!!

He makes about $8, 999,000 more than you do but, in this case, I kinda agree. You have a chance for a once in a decade(or two) win against GA.  Needed to be bolder in a game like this. Also, come on, take a shot at the endzone at the end of the first half. FGs, instead of TDs will come back to haunt against #1 teams. Stoops lack of boldness cost them, again.   He and Zac Taylor are two peas out of the same conservative pod. Taylor punted the ball away in the fourth quarter down 6 and just a bit more than two minutes remaining. What a nut!!!  Sure, everyone knows I live on the nutty end of Crazy street myself but I'm not being paid millions to coach football. I coach from behind a keyboard for free.
Let me ask this. If UK went for it on 4th and got absolutely wrecked, giving Georgia perfect field position to put the game away, what would you say? Would you say something along the lines of "What was Stoops thinking? Football is game of field position, why would anyone go for it? He lost us the game!" 

Maybe not. Maybe if Stoops went for it and allowed a Georgia touchdown then this forum would be filled with congratulations to Coach Stoops on his brave gamble. I doubt it.
Insightful and very very valid!!!
(09-17-2024, 11:13 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: Let me ask this. If UK went for it on 4th and got absolutely wrecked, giving Georgia perfect field position to put the game away, what would you say? Would you say something along the lines of "What was Stoops thinking? Football is game of field position, why would anyone go for it? He lost us the game!" 

Maybe not. Maybe if Stoops went for it and allowed a Georgia touchdown then this forum would be filled with congratulations to Coach Stoops on his brave gamble. I doubt it.

What I would've said? "well that sucks, but hey at least he went for it and gave his team a chance to win against the best team in the country."

I know for a fact I haven't said those words many times in his tenure, if any at all. We probably would've lost the game either way, but at least if he'd went for it on 4th, we can say we actually had a chance to convert and keep the drive going. It is what it is now tho, not one for moral victories, but have to love that they actually competed and went toe to toe with Georgia, and not shit the bed like they did against Carolina.
  • The Red Eminence
(Yesterday, 10:10 AM)-STAT- Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 11:13 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: Let me ask this. If UK went for it on 4th and got absolutely wrecked, giving Georgia perfect field position to put the game away, what would you say? Would you say something along the lines of "What was Stoops thinking? Football is game of field position, why would anyone go for it? He lost us the game!" 

What I would've said? "well that sucks, but hey at least he went for it and gave his team a chance to win against the best team in the country."

I know for a fact I haven't said those words many times in his tenure, if any at all. We probably would've lost the game either way, but at least if he'd went for it on 4th, we can say we actually had a chance to convert and keep the drive going. It is what it is now tho, not one for moral victories, but have to love that they actually competed and went toe to toe with Georgia, and not shit the bed like they did against Carolina.
I think you make a great point about the game likely being lost at that point. I know that I can be too conservative at times when it comes to field position, and I do see the appeal of going for it. Still, I can't fault his call to punt. My main point with the question is that I worry too many UK fans arrive at the conclusion Stoops messed up and then look for evidence. I appreciate your response, and I think you make a good point in this and your South Carolina post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Eminence's post:
  • -STAT-
(Yesterday, 10:44 AM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:10 AM)-STAT- Wrote:

I think you make a great point about the game likely being lost at that point. I know that I can be too conservative at times when it comes to field position, and I do see the appeal of going for it. Still, I can't fault his call to punt. My main point with the question is that I worry too many UK fans arrive at the conclusion Stoops messed up and then look for evidence. I appreciate your response, and I think you make a good point in this and your South Carolina post.

I appreciate that, and I can see it from both sides of the coin as well. Obviously Stoops thought that punting it was the right call, defense played a heck of a game against a Georgia offesne that is always capable of reeling off some big plays or chunk yards and they really picked up the tempo in the 2nd half. I guess he thought the defense could get one more big stop, even hold them to a FG which would still be a one possession game? So many scenarios and what ifs.
  • Cactus Jack
I'm not as bothered by the punt as many seem to be. Georgia's defense is their strength and both team's defenses played well enough to win. It was Georgia's offense that wasn't playing well.

We'll never know, and maybe we do convert our last 4th down. Still, I think there's a better chance that our defense stops a Georgia offense that's pinned deep than our offense converting 4th and long against their defense.

Statistically, I honestly wonder if failing on 4th would mean that Kentucky's best chance to win would have then been to let Georgia score immediately to get the ball back and try to tie and go to overtime. In that scenario, win probability would be effected by whether Georgia would go for, and subsequently convert, a field goal or two point conversion. I know letting them score right away assumes that they score instead of getting a first down and going down immediately and that we stop them if they went for two, but I could see that being our best statistical chance if we fail to convert.
A certain HS coach from Danville texted me and said that Mark Stoops absolutely sucked goat testicles for his decision to punt the ball down one point and 3 minutes to go. Said he would go for it 100 times out of 100 in that situation.
I would say if you trust your defense to punt, then you should trust them if you dont make it on 4th down.  Be aggressive, go for the win, dagger to the heart, its Georgia.   

You done lost to South Carolina, it cant get worse.
I'm in the no guts, no glory camp. One other thing, do you think Kirby Smart + vast majority of Georgia fans wanted Kentucky to go for it or give them the ball back? Rhetorical, of course they were happy to see the punt...
Hypothetical because I realize I'm in the minority here-- if you are Stoops or Hamdan and you decide to go for it, what are you drawing up to convert and why do you think it beats anything a defensive minded coach with better talent like Smart can dial up at that point in the game?

I'll concede that they might have kept something up their sleeve on 1st and 10 from the 49 when Wilcox ran for two yards, but after that, they've probably ran through any "beaters" that they felt like they had left on 2nd & 8 and 3rd & 8.

By 4th & 8, there's a very solid chance that a Fake Punt might have been the biggest surprise we had left.
I disagree. Georgia would have absolutely been looking for a fake punt in that situation. I say just draw up a roll out pass play. You have 3 excellent receivers and a QB who can run if he sees daylight. I know the odds aren't in our favor but still better to me than giving the ball back to the #1 team in the nation with a couple minutes left. At least try to win the game ourselves rather that have to have the #1 team fail to get a first down on offense and then fail to keep us from scoring with very little time left on defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack