Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Girls Basketball
Was just looking at some social media posts and couldn’t believe the talent that has left Belfry in recent years.   Two top 10 freshman should be playing for us and a host of others that have transferred out.  What is the deal and how long will this continue?   Is it a coaching issue or facilities issue?   Had to be something
Isn't Belfry the newest high school that was built in Pike County? Big upgrade over the old high school gym, that place was so hot. May be a coaching issue. Honestly, I know they are all about football at Belfry but with all of the athletes there, they should be a powerhouse in all sports, but that's not the case. Always struck me as odd.
(09-10-2024, 02:27 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: Isn't Belfry the newest high school that was built in Pike County? Big upgrade over the old high school gym, that place was so hot. May be a coaching issue. Honestly, I know they are all about football at Belfry but with all of the athletes there, they should be a powerhouse in all sports, but that's not the case. Always struck me as odd.
I agree.  I think it’s a coaching issue.  I can name at least five to six girls that have left. Maybe the administration doesn’t care about wins in girls basketball.  At some time you’d think the coach would be accountable
(09-10-2024, 02:27 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: Isn't Belfry the newest high school that was built in Pike County? Big upgrade over the old high school gym, that place was so hot. May be a coaching issue. Honestly, I know they are all about football at Belfry but with all of the athletes there, they should be a powerhouse in all sports, but that's not the case. Always struck me as odd.
Belfry isn’t a large school by any means. Google search has their enrollment 9-12 at 506. That’s about the size of Breathitt and Knott down my way. With those numbers you can be good some years but won’t have the number of athletes to be good in all sports consistently, certainly not in the “powerhouse” category.
It’s hard to not go to Pikeville Sports Academy when you live that close to it. Pikeville has took many from Belfry and other programs in the area. But then again, can you blame the kids for transferring? I can’t. I’d go to Pikeville to if I lived in that area. So I cant really put all the blame on Belfry’s coach.
(09-11-2024, 08:54 AM)Medusa Wrote: It’s hard to not go to Pikeville Sports Academy when you live that close to it.    Pikeville has took many from Belfry and other programs in the area.  But then again, can you blame the kids for transferring?  I can’t.  I’d go to Pikeville to if I lived in that area.  So I cant really put all the blame on Belfry’s coach.
I disagree.  You can say they all went to Pikeville but that’s not true.  They have left for JC and Martin to avoid playing for him

(09-11-2024, 08:38 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
Belfry isn’t a large school by any means.
Google search has their enrollment 9-12 at 506. That’s about the size of Breathitt and Knott down my way. With those numbers you can be good some years but won’t have the number of athletes to be good in all sports consistently, certainly not in the “powerhouse” category.
it’s not an enrollment numbers issue.  The kids were there and left to avoid playing for the high school.
(09-11-2024, 10:00 AM)HatfieldMccoy Wrote:
(09-11-2024, 08:54 AM)Medusa Wrote: It’s hard to not go to Pikeville Sports Academy when you live that close to it.    Pikeville has took many from Belfry and other programs in the area.  But then again, can you blame the kids for transferring?  I can’t.  I’d go to Pikeville to if I lived in that area.  So I cant really put all the blame on Belfry’s coach.
I disagree.  You can say they all went to Pikeville but that’s not true.  They have left for JC and Martin to avoid playing for him

Google search has their enrollment 9-12 at 506. That’s about the size of Breathitt and Knott down my way. With those numbers you can be good some years but won’t have the number of athletes to be good in all sports consistently, certainly not in the “powerhouse” category.
it’s not an enrollment numbers issue.  The kids were there and left to avoid playing for the high school.
Hopefully a change is made soon. Hearing all they have this year is middle school kids.
(09-17-2024, 02:25 PM)Realtalk101 Wrote:

Hopefully a change is made soon. Hearing all they have this year is middle school kids.
Seriously?  How is that even possible?   Not one high school girl on the team?  Why no high school girls?

(09-17-2024, 08:12 PM)HatfieldMccoy Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 02:25 PM)Realtalk101 Wrote:

Seriously?  How is that even possible?   Not one high school girl on the team?  Why no high school girls?
Do they plan to play a full varsity schedule and will this effect the middle school program’s games?