Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting: Jasper Johnson
Thoughts on where he ends up?

How does the move from Link back to Kentucky play in?

North Carolina has had consistent buzz, but I still think that the legacy factor is too much to overcome so long as Kentucky isn't terrible next season. 

Is this a player that Pope simply can't afford to lose this early in his tenure? 

I don't know that Johnson and Moreno both have to come to Kentucky to say that Pope is recruiting well, but missing on two in-state kids this close to Lexington is probably bad news unless he hits on the players who end up on the roster. If not, the only saving grace may be if Johnson and Moreno go elsewhere and don't pan out, but I'd never wish that an in-state kid didn't succeed just because they didn't choose Kentucky.
No kid nowhere is make or break for Pope this early or probably ever. That's why I generally don't keep up with recruiting news. Look how long Cal sucked and they never did actually fire him. So no, let's please kill the make or break talk before a Pope team ever plays a game. LOL.
(07-21-2024, 09:48 PM)jetpilot Wrote: No kid nowhere is make or break for Pope this early or probably ever. That's why I generally don't keep up with recruiting news. Look how long Cal sucked and they never did actually fire him. So no, let's please kill the make or break talk before a Pope team ever plays a game. LOL.

It's tough to shed labels once they've attached.

When you have a rabid fanbase and have lost two in-state kids that close to home and a down year overall would be a quick way to get that label, whether fair or unfair.
Johnson's commitment was huge. Pope goes 2 for 2 on in state kids he wanted and overtakes Alabama and North Carolina in doing so.

Still remains to be seen how he'll translate to landing top tier recruits nationally, but Pope has knocked it out of the park so far (despite the collective groan when he was hired).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • jetpilot