Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding Kentucky Basketball
How long do you guys think it will take to get the University of Kentucky basketball program back on it's feet?
It's really, really bad right now, but it could be a lot worse I guess. I kind of feel like Billy G is getting really sick of trying to coacch a bunch of players he didn't recruit and is just trying to survive until he gets a couple more of his recruiting classes at UK.
I'd say in about a year or 2, once Gillespie gets all of his players in and Tubby's old one's out, that things will make a turn-around. Nothing against Tubby's class, but Gillespie is an outstanding recruiter and does a great job of bringing in good players. It took Pitino 2 years to have the UK program back to it's former stature, and I'd say it will be the same for BCG. I'm not worried about the future, things are looking good IMO.
Pupaw Wrote:I'd say in about a year or 2, once Gillespie gets all of his players in and Tubby's old one's out, that things will make a turn-around. Nothing against Tubby's class, but Gillespie is an outstanding recruiter and does a great job of bringing in good players. It took Pitino 2 years to have the UK program back to it's former stature, and I'd say it will be the same for BCG. I'm not worried about the future, things are looking good IMO.

I agree!

BCG has a lot of talent coming in for the next three years. Very bright future for the Kentucky Wildcats!
I agree with both of you. I think that we all need to give billy Clyde a little time. Tubbys players are horrible and truthfully i don't like them but once Gillespie gets all of the players he wants then this UK program will be a top of the national ranks once again.. I give him 2 or 3 years. Probably Patterson's junior year
3 years
I will give him at least two years. Give him time to get his recruits in and we will be fine.
I say at least 2 years. Meeks and Jasper will be Seniors, Patterson will be a junior, we will have Darius Miller and DeAndre Liggins as Sophomores, and no doubt 2-3 outstanding freshman to go along with G.J. Vilarino. Hopefully we'll have a compliment to Patterson by then, but there's no doubt Gillispie is working on it. I give him 2 years AFTER this season, and 3-4 for a National Championship.
Kentucky basketball wont be a top teir program until all/most of Tubby's recruits are bled out of the system.

The biggest problem right now is just sheer lack of talent..
One year- To get it going. Two years- To get back to elite status. Three years- To begin being a consistent national championship contender year in and year out.
Pretty much, Liggins and Miller will help but not send us over the edge ( get Hopson and it may speed the process up). 09 anything can happen regarding recruiting but in 2010 we get Ross-Miller and Euton, by then we will be a force to be dealt with.
I just hope Patterson stays,but I say he will go to the NBA soon.
RavenBoy Wrote:I just hope Patterson stays,but I say he will go to the NBA soon.

According to his mom, he is staying all four years.
blackcat_student Wrote:According to his mom, he is staying all four years.
Man I hope so!
gish_7 Wrote:Man I hope so!
Gilispie and Patterson cut a deal. Together they will bring the most storied program in college basketball back to national prominence. Patterson will be a 4 year player at UK.
If it takes more than 3 year to get Kentucky back to contention they might let him go...
I cant believe im saying this but i miss tuby lol this team is a joke and to be honest all we have is Paterson....it will take a while before we are back dominating games.....
he recruited 3 of the starters didnt he??
LIPS Wrote:I cant believe im saying this but i miss tuby lol this team is a joke and to be honest all we have is Paterson....it will take a while before we are back dominating games.....

You miss Tubby? Why?
I loved Tubby while he was here but you can not deny the fact that the program was heading in the wrong direction. *remember this is Kentucky*. If we are falling from elite status because of lack of recruiting discipline then that coach should not be at the helm anymore. Tubby was burnt out with the amount of work that is required for this job and yes he left the program in the shape it is in now (with or without Meeks and Jasper). I respected the man but there is no denying the facts.
blackcat_student Wrote:According to his mom, he is staying all four years.

Alex Legion's mother said we were going to win the national championship, and we know how that worked outRolleyes Smile Smile
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Alex Legion's mother said we were going to win the national championship, and we know how that worked outRolleyes Smile Smile

Legion's mom seems to limit her sons decisions to what she thinks is best. If she does not want him to fight through practices and be apart of a special team in a couple years then so be it.
I heard something about Legion leaving because something with his G/f.
RavenBoy Wrote:I heard something about Legion leaving because something with his G/f.

First time I have heard that one.
I think it was that practice was too intense.
What I have heard is that it was CBC's mouth, his verbal beatings, and that he was homesick. (these could all be wrong)
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:First time I have heard that one.
I think it was that practice was too intense.
What I have heard is that it was CBC's mouth, his verbal beatings, and that he was homesick. (these could all be wrong)

i just seen the bracketology if it was selected today on www.espn.com and kentucky was no where to be seen and there were only 4 SEC teams in it. I think the fact that there are that low amount of sec teams says alot, usually there are 7 to 8.
Yeah atleast 2 years, 3 tops.
2 years and the cats will be a top ten team but you will see the worst Ky team you will ever see the rest of the season.They could lose 17 or 18 games.
I think UK will turn things around down the road, but to be the Kentucky team everyone knows of it will take another year or 2.