Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Sweet 16 Draw on 02/15/23
What are the odds of two East KY regions battling in the first round? Seems to happen every year!  What is everyones thoughts on seeding for the Sweet 16?
Yeah does and the 7th always seems to draw the 11th
Blind draw is dumb and stupid either rotate regional match ups or seed the tournament
I like the idea of seeding. Just don’t know what you go off of? RPI??
I think since KHSAA uses RPI for football, they could use it for basketball as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stone Jack Baller's post:
  • Bluecat
Leave it as is. Draw is at least fair to everyone because it removes complaints of misseeding.

If you're looking at RPI, there's the issue of how to properly account for games against out of state teams. According to the formulation, this could cut down on playing in out of state tournaments or events that get kids more exposure, or conversely, might be a way for teams with the reputation and resources to schedule these as a way of artificially inflating their RPI (e.g., playing an Oak Hill or Montverde and taking all the good that comes from it with no downside to a horribly lopsided loss).

It would also unfairly punish schools in regions on or near the state's border (ex. Paducah Tilghman, McCracken Co., Ashland Blazer, etc.) who usually play a handful of out of state games each year, most likely to keep their schedule balanced and travel costs down.

Probably most convincing to posters here would be that the mountain regions (13th, 14th, 15th and 16th) would be the lowest seeds year in and year out. Something tells me that most BGR posters wouldn't be in favor of having to open with the 7th, 11th, 9th, 4th, or 2nd each year.

If anything, a blind draw is more unfair to the favorites than it is to the underdogs. Over the past 25 years, you'll be pressed to find many instances of the 13th, 14th, 15th, or 16th advancing against the remainder of the regions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cactus Jack's post:
  • 16thregionballer, Tailback44
Do not tell Bracken County fans that they draw for the state tournament. They'll boycott it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OhHereWeGo's post:
  • Black Bear Cuz
Leave as is. Every district should seed.
(02-04-2023, 10:19 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: What are the odds of two East KY regions battling in the first round? Seems to happen every year!  What is everyones thoughts on seeding for the Sweet 16?
Impossible to do with a true seed format where all participants have already played twice. RPI is a man made construction, not settled on the court, and would be biased and political. It probably works okay for the NCAA and is a necessity at that level but I’m not sure how accurate a statewide tournament could be. So, I’m just fine with the way it is. 

On a side note, Man made ranking are not always accurate. It’s one reason Notre Dame football has about 5 or 6 national championships back in the old days when polls were used to determine that title, when other teams should have had the championship. Alabama for one got screwed a few times. Michigan State also.
The Sweet 16 Draw is scheduled for 1 pm tomorrow.
(02-14-2023, 02:34 PM)Grannyshot Wrote: The Sweet 16 Draw is scheduled for 1 pm tomorrow.

Popcorn ready.
First Day:
Region 5 vs Region 1
Region 6 vs Region 8
Region 4 vs Region 12
Region 3 vs Region 16

2nd Day:
Region 11 vs Region 15
Region 7 vs Region 14
Region 2 vs Region 9
Region 10 vs Region 13
Tough draw for all of the mountain regions save the 16th. Maybe as tough as you could have made it on the 14th and 15th.

13th Region could have been worse (7th, 4th, or 11th), but only marginally-- they've drawn a region that's likely going to send one of the top six teams in the field. Get past that one and you've got the winner of the 2nd and 9th, most likely followed by the winner of the 7th and 11th most likely lurking in the semis. Should North Laurel get there, at first glance the second game, looks pretty bad, but it's encouraging that they've beaten Covington Catholic and that they played Lyon County extremely tight on a neutral floor without Chadwell or Davidson. It takes a lot of assumptions to even get to that point, but I'd have to think that they'd be extremely gassed if they were able to get to the semis.

Top bracket sets up very favorably for the 4th Region. I'd have to think that Warren Central and Bowling Green are very happy and that they would be favored against almost any team up there. 1st, 6th, and 8th are obviously in a good place for a sneaky deep run.
That last session on Thursday should be a dandy. Whoever makes it to Saturday out of that quad will have beaten two very good teams.
The bottom bracket is tough.. BUT should produce some great games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grannyshot's post:
  • Bluecat
Damn another horrible draw for the 14th.
EVANGEL CHRISTIAN- STATE CHAMPS