Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro 42 Prestonsburg 30
Final
Congrats to Middlesboro !
(11-04-2022, 11:19 PM)BEChargers Wrote: Congrats to Middlesboro !
Boro was up 28-0 at the half looked really good.  2nd half was the total opposite as Prestonsburg won the 2nd half 30-14.  Was a tale of two halves.  Will be a tall task for the Jackets next week as Shelby Valley beat Prestonsburg by 47

Never know i guess just live to fight another day. Middlesboro has done that alot this season look really good in the 1st half and fall apart in the 2nd half.  Going both ways is tough cause Middlesboro only has like 24 players on the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tazcat's post:
  • BEChargers
Congratulations Middlesboro!!
Always good to see Middlesboro doing well. Go Jackets!!!
Congrats Middlesboro on a hard earned W. You guys have a very solid team.
If pburg didn’t come out flat that first half, I believe they would have won this one. They didn’t play worth a hoot that first half and lost because of it.
Congrats to Boro.
I hated to see that 28-0 score at halftime. It was good to see that P-burg fought back but that is just too big of a hole to dig out of most of the time.

For those that saw the game, did Prestonsburg just come out flat in the first half or did Middlesboro take their foot off of the gas in the second half?
(11-05-2022, 10:43 AM)The Scoop Wrote: I hated to see that 28-0 score at halftime. It was good to see that P-burg fought back but that is just too big of a hole to dig out of most of the time.

For those that saw the game, did Prestonsburg just come out flat in the first half or did Middlesboro take their foot off of the gas in the second half?

Flatter than a pancake. We were rattled. The first TD was a 65+ yard bomb to Wilson. The next score was on a miscue on a punt. The snapper snapped the ball before the PBurg punter was set. Middlesboro scooped and scored with the ease.

That took the life out of PBurg and then Middlesboro put 2 great drives together to make it 28-0.

PBurg scored 2 TDs within 20 seconds of each other after half to really make it a game. Ethan Jarvis ran a TD in and then on the next play from scrimmage Gavin Stephens scooped and scored a 50 yard fumble recovery TD.

Middlesboro’s passing attack was too much. Also, anytime they needed a 1st down, Grigsby got it. He’s an incredible athlete!

It was a very competitive game in the 2nd half, but 28-0 is too big of a hole.

Larry French was incredible in this one and proved why he’s an elite coach.
I’m not saying this to be mean at all; BUT- Coach Brewer would have been a HERO and an overachiever in Stanton for as long as he wanted to stay. He did great there! Maybe this job at Pburg is not a great fit; or maybe more time is needed to overcome what the cherry picking of Pburg kids to the “Ville’s” did to the program. Either way; I just think of the what if’s because that’s what boards like this are for……
(11-05-2022, 02:53 PM)ROTC Wrote: I’m not saying this to be mean at all; BUT- Coach Brewer would have been a HERO and an overachiever in Stanton for as long as he wanted to stay. He did great there!  Maybe this job at Pburg is not a great fit; or maybe more time is needed to overcome what the cherry picking of Pburg kids to the “Ville’s” did to the program.  Either way; I just think of the what if’s because that’s what boards like this are for……
Personally I think he has Prestonsburg headed in the right direction. He went from having 2 wins in each of his 1st 2 years to 8 this year. Let's not forget the program was in a terrible situation when he took over in my opinion.
I believe if they stick with him he will he will continue to show improvement. I don't see anyone they could bring in that would be much of an upgrade over coach Brewer. I'm rooting for him, mountain football is better when Prestonsburg is strong. They start winning at the level they were accustomed to the players will be less likely to go out of district to play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • waughdaddy59
I can’t help but agree with Wolfcat I mean Coach Brewer has had to deal with a bad hand since arriving at Pburg. The program was down bad and he has managed to get things headed in the right direction.
(11-06-2022, 11:11 AM)wolfcat Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 02:53 PM)ROTC Wrote: I’m not saying this to be mean at all; BUT- Coach Brewer would have been a HERO and an overachiever in Stanton for as long as he wanted to stay. He did great there!  Maybe this job at Pburg is not a great fit; or maybe more time is needed to overcome what the cherry picking of Pburg kids to the “Ville’s” did to the program.  Either way; I just think of the what if’s because that’s what boards like this are for……
Personally I think he has Prestonsburg headed in the right direction. He went from having 2 wins in each of his 1st 2 years to 8 this year. Let's not forget the program was in a terrible situation when he took over in my opinion.
I believe if they stick with him he will he will continue to show improvement. I don't see anyone they could bring in that would be much of an upgrade over coach Brewer. I'm rooting for him, mountain football is better when Prestonsburg is strong. They start winning at the level they were accustomed to the players will be less likely to go out of district to play.
 He also had what 16 or 18 seniors on as roster of about 33? He should have won some games with the JV schedule he played this year Prestonsburg will be way down for a while.
Prestonsburg come out flat and like others mentioned, Middlesboro hit on a big pass play and then Pburg made a mistake on their next drive and Mboro got an easy scoop and score and so the Blackcats were down 14-0 right off the bat. I don’t know if it was the long bus ride or being off two weeks or what, but Pburg just had zero energy in that first half. Never did have much good field position in the first half either and Mboro had their way passing. I think Grigsby ran maybe 1 designed run the first half and it was pretty obvious Prestonsburg was prepared for their running game, but was not for the their passing game. 1, 3, 8, and 18 won their 1v1 battles all game. Prestonsburg just couldn’t match up in space with those guys.

Prestonsburg played much better in the second half and cut the lead down to 28-14 midway through the 3rd, but the 4 touchdown hole was just too much to overcome like others have said because I don’t think Pburg’s defense was going to be able to do enough to complete a comeback against that offense.

Hats off to Ethan Jarvis. That dude absolutely deserves to nominated for Mr. Football. I’ve not seen many running backs play with as much toughness and grit than that guy at Prestonsburg and there’s been some great ones. He deserves to be mentioned as one of the best to ever suite up for Prestonsburg.

Middlesboro has a very good football team. I was very impressed with them and thought they played with a lot of energy and toughness. They brought it and that made a huge difference in this game.

All in all, Prestonsburg had a really great season compared to years past under coach Brewer. And like another posters said, the program is headed in the right direction. There’s still a lot of challenges the staff needs to face going forward to continue making improvements, but building this program back to its former glory days is going to take time and a lot of dedication from more athletes, their families and the community. Folks just need to be patient and slow down on expectations. There’s talent coming up and they’ll have to play freshman on varsity going forward for a few years so again, expectations shouldn’t be high. Biggest problem that this program has had to deal with (other than transfers) is the negativity from folks who don’t have a clue at what they’re talking about. It’s toxic and makes things more challenging for all involved.

I’d also like to thank the 13 seniors that played their last football game as a Blackcat the other night. Those guys have been through more losing and negativity than any other class in my lifetime and they continued to show up, works their butts off, and play football. They played in some fun and great football games these last two years and brought a lot of life back in the program that’s been missing. I’m proud of those guys and I’m thankful they chose to be Blackcats.
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Red and Black, waughdaddy59
(11-06-2022, 01:06 PM)SlickRick Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 11:11 AM)wolfcat Wrote:
 He also had what 16 or 18 seniors on as roster of about 33? He should have won some games with the JV schedule he played this year Prestonsburg will be way down for a while.
This is nonsense. Take a lap.
I’m rooting for the Blackcats and Coach Brewer!
Hats off to this group of seniors for grinding it out, and sticking with the program during difficult times. A lot of players would have packed up and left, but these young men fought through all of the adversity and ended their senior season with a respectful 8-3 record and a playoff appearance. As far as Brewer goes, I have mixed emotions. This year was a step in the right direction, and a lot of excitement was brought back to the program. As I have said in the past, Brewer has a hard time getting kids out and that concerns me. I know certain people may think I'm being negative, but I'm just calling it like I see it. without being biased. Brewer seems like a good guy, but after his fifth year, one would think he would have more than 17 underclassmen coming back. Out of those 17, only six or seven start, or have any varsity experience. I'm not calling for his job, but changes need to be made, one way or the other. Brewer will be rebuilding over the next two years, and you have to ask yourself, how will this effect the talent coming up in the feeder system? If we take a couple of steps back, will these kids stick with program, or will they look elsewhere. I think this is a serious question that needs to be answered? I'm not trying to throw any one under the bus, but if we are going to get back to our "glory days" of past, we have to be able to put a solid product on the field, in hopes of keeping the younger talent intact. Hail Blackcats!
(11-07-2022, 01:46 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Hats off to this group of seniors for grinding it out, and sticking with the program during difficult times. A lot of players would have packed up and left, but these young men fought through all of the adversity and ended their senior season with a respectful 8-3 record and a playoff appearance. As far as Brewer goes, I have mixed emotions. This year was a step in the right direction, and a lot of excitement was brought back to the program. As I have said in the past, Brewer has a hard time getting kids out and that concerns me. I know certain people may think I'm being negative, but I'm just calling it like I see it. without being biased. Brewer seems like a good guy, but after his fifth year, one would think he would have more than 17 underclassmen coming back. Out of those 17, only six or seven start, or have any varsity experience.  I'm not calling for his job, but changes need to be made, one way or the other. Brewer will be rebuilding over the next two years, and you have to ask yourself, how will this effect the talent coming up in the feeder system? If we take a couple of steps back, will these kids stick with program, or will they look elsewhere. I think this is a serious question that needs to be answered? I'm not trying to throw any one under the bus, but if we are going to get back to our "glory days" of past, we have to be able to put a solid product on the field, in hopes of keeping the younger talent intact. Hail Blackcats!

Since 2012, Prestonsburg has averaged a roster size of 36 and under Brewer they’ve averaged 32. So 30-40 is just what this program is always going to be.

Prestonsburg has always been a quality program because they’ve produced quality talent. Never been the biggest or strongest, but always was skilled and talented. Program has lacked that lately and I think anyone that’s been paying attention can see that. The rise of a good soccer program has played a role and losing 15 kids to Paintsville set this program back. I hate making excuses, but it is what it is. Keeping the current kids and their families coming up as Blackcats and you’ll start seeing more talent and skill. I wholeheartedly believe that.

Prestonsburg has 4-5 freshman that will likely start or play major minutes on varsity next season. They’ll go through some growing pains, but they’ll have some play makers and some good leaders around them that’ll help bring them up to speed. Pburg returns 3 starters on offense and 4 starters on defense next season. The current underclassmen need to step up and take this off season very seriously and stay in shape and hit the weights hard. I think the goal next season should be getting into the playoffs and building from there.
Ouch- that sound honest but brutal for this program going forward.