Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Prestonsburg 26 Magoffin 18
Final from the hill at Magoffin what a game it was!!!

Jarivs was without a doubt player of the game, he lit the hornets up had roughly 140 yards of offense off two plays at the start of the second half with two touchdowns. This game would not have been that close but the blackcats had two blown coverage plays. Got to fix that defensive coverage.
37-34 was the final score-prestonsburg
(08-27-2022, 12:13 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: 37-34 was the final score-prestonsbug
no that was the final for the floyd central game
2 wins to start the season for the Blackcats!!!!
Congrats
If you did not watch this I would go back and just watch the second half, it was a rollercoaster. A very exciting half of football I honestly thought that Derossett had pulled a hat trick out and sent it to overtime. The Blackcats gave up two late touchdowns they shouldn't have but it was still a very impressive performance overall.
[-] The following 1 user Likes waughdaddy59's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Prestonsburg fans and their team brought it tonight. Lightning delay sucked, but I was really proud of our fans and how many showed up to support these boys. I’d say we had more folks there than Magoffin did at their field which was very surprising quite honestly. Maybe the build up around this game was only coming from Floyd County.

As for the game itself, I thought Prestonsburg played about as good as they have period under Brewer for the first 3 quarters. The Blackcats offense played good and I loved the play calling tonight. Derek Newsome is a up and coming offensive mind. He called a a great game tonight and the guys did a good job executing it. I thought the line was really good and Ethan Jarvis was the star of the game offensively for the Blackcats. He’s turned into a STUD running back that deserves to mentioned as one of the best in the mountains.

Defensively the Blackcats played perfect for nearly 3 quarters. Stephens, Patton, Stumbo, Little, George, Porter, Makan, Goble, Jarrell, etc all played great football tonight. They were flying around and kept Lafferty contained all game and did a great job with Barnett also. Brewer done a great job at preparing these guys for this game and the game plan was successful. Much better than what we seen against Betsy Layne.

Blackcats got careless after they got up 26-6. They started celebrating a little early and credit Magoffin, they made things very interesting late in this game. The Blackcats defense made some great plays again on MC’s final drive to seal the victory. Lesson learned for this team, the game ain’t over until that final horn sounds.

Hats off to Aden Barnett. That kid ran for his life the whole game and made some great plays with his legs to keep some drives alive. I’d take him on my team any day.

Overall, a win is a win. Really proud of our fans, players and coaches. Prestonsburg is a football school and town and it’s showed through the first two weeks of the season big time.

The Blackcats have the chance to have a special season. One game at a time.

Go Blackcats!
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, waughdaddy59
Congratulations to Prestonsburg.
Would love to see Prestonsburg get back that tradition and respect that many of us who played against some great Prestonsburg teams has. Was a time when you saw Pburg on the schedule it elevated the week I’m practice. You were playing one of the beast teams in the mountains. Congrats Pburg ‘
I couldn’t agree more, Jarvis was on fire I mean the way he started that second half was just amazing to me. 2 plays 2 touchdowns and 140 yards wow that’s crazy good in anyones book. I agree the first three quarters basically the blackcats couldn’t have played better on either side. Coach Brewer had those guys right, I just wonder what caused those break downs in coverage in the last mins of the game, blown assignments or something but as previously stated a win is a win. Good luck to both teams as they go on, magoffin has several good skill guys.
Jarvis was the player of the game, and should be considered one of the best RBs in the mountains, he deserves it. He works his tail off every week. But I was very impressed with the Lafferty kid. Man, that guy is a stud athlete. I'm kinda surprised Coach D seems to revolvehis offense around the QB (who is a good player) instead of the best player on the field. Their oline isn't good enough to focus their offense on the qb. He was running for his life all night, but it seems like it took 3 or 4 defenders to bring Lafferty down every time he touched the ball. That guy needs to be fed the rock more frequently. He's electric.

Prestonsburg looked good for most of this game, but they still lack the killer instinct to finish a game. They had Magoffin on the ropes in the 3rd but got complacent and gave up the momentum and almost lost the game because of it. The energy was great from the players and the sideline right up until that point, then it just turned. If they want to make some noise in that district they have to learn how to finish strong, but a win is a win, and 2-0 is 2-0.

Proud of the Red and Black today and I hope they continue to improve. The defense looked much improved from the BL game. Offense is firing on all cylinders. Special teams was solid. Could be a special season after some very rough seasons in the burg. I appreciate these juniors and seniors who have stuck it out and still have a passion to play the game. I'll never forget them for it! It's what Blackcat pride is all about!
[-] The following 4 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, Brutus, waughdaddy59
Great game to be at! I thought PBurg had the game in control until the weather delay, after a long delay it could be anybody’s game. I loved the grit and toughness from Magoffin. They’re a few impact players short of really challenging some teams. If John is gave a full class to have came through his system, they’ll be a team that you’ll remember playing.

Ethan Jarvis ran so well tonight! He’s such a patient runner who rarely loses yardage. He’s always going forward and waiting for his linemen to open the hole, when he gets the hole, he is gone. One of the best RBs in the mountains that most don’t know.

I thought the OL/DL from PBurg were solid. You have 3 of your captains starting both ways there in Stephens, Porter, and Jude; and they definitely impacted the game. Jude had a tremendous block on Jarvis’ 60 yard TD, Porter had a great lead block on the first TD of the game and a nice TFL late, and Stephens opened a hole on Jarvis’ 76 yard score and had the game sealing sack.

2 and 26 were studs from Magoffin as expected. 2 was running for his life all night but seemed to always find a way to extend plays. 26 I thought was better when he would run more north-south over east-west. 44 was a really good player for them as well I thought. That was one tough kid on defense. Coach John must love being able to coach him. Best of luck to Magoffin Co all year.

I’d also like to say the crowd support from Prestonsburg was tremendous. It was nice seeing students out there making some noice and some parents as well. Just a great showing for our rebuilding program.

This senior class has endured so much, but they’ve stuck with it. They’ve got some goals and missions they want to accomplish this year, and I look forward to following them on their journey. Go Cats!!
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatPride32's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, waughdaddy59
Gonna be a long year in Salyersville.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
Huge win for the Blackcats and Coach Brewer. Although, it hasn't been pretty, the Blackcats are 2-0 and they are riding a wave of momentum into a favorable match up with Phelps. The Blackcats should be 3-0 heading into another anticipated matchup with Powell County. Jarvis was the best player on the field, and the line played well on both sides of the ball. Coach D. made some adjustments after halftime and Magoffin's passing game seemed to affect the Prestonsburg secondary. Prestonsburg took their foot off of the gas and thought they had the game in hand during the 3rd quarter. Also, I didn't get a chance to see the game in person, but D&D sports did an excellent job live streaming the game. They are some of the best in the business.