Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals problems start at the top.
Most of you guys are younger than me so I remember this franchise before they had stripes on their helmets. Back in the mid 80's I used to listen to Bob Trumpy(a former tight end for the Bengals) every night on WLW. I remember him making a statement one night thats still ringing true today. He said...."As long as the Brown family is in control of this franchise they will not compete on a consistent basis. There will be years they compete. But they will not sustain it long term due to the way the franchise is being managed."

Mike Brown is not a football man. He is worried more about the almighty dollar than he is winning. Theres no accountability. How many owners would stay with a coach for 4 1/2 years, long enough for him to go 19-53 as Brown did with Dave Shula? Brown didn't care what the record was as long as there were butts in the seats.

Also....you guys ever wonder why a guy like Dick LeBeau can succeed in Pittsburgh (twice) building one of the most feared defenses in the league year end year out, but yet when he's in Cincy, he fails? Or why Marvin was considered a defensive genius until he came to Cincy? Its the front office folks.....our scouting departments are so shorthanded its pathetic. Want proof? Compare the Bengals and Colts front office and scouting below.

Colts Football Department:
Chris Polian, Vice President of Football Operations
Steve Champlin, Director of Football Administration
Tom Telesco, Director of Player Personnel
Dom Anile, Sr. Consultant to Player Personnel
Clyde Powers, Director of Pro Player Personnel
David Caldwell, Western Regional Scout
Todd Vasvari, Eastern Regional Scout
Bob Ferguson, Special Asst. to the Dir. of Player Personnel
John Becker, Area Scout
Ryan Cavanaugh, Area Scout
Mark Ellenz, Area Scout
Bob Guarini, Area Scout
Byron Lusby, Area Scout
Matt Terpening, Area Scout
Kevin Rogers, Pro Scout
J. W. Jordan, Salary Cap/Personnel Analyst
Stefani Paul, Player Development Administrator
Jamie Moore, Scouting Assistant
Jon Shaw, Scouting Assistant
Debbie Finn, Asst. to the Director of Player Personnel

Bengals Football Department:
Pete Brown Senior Vice President - Player Personnel
Paul Brown Vice President - Player Personnel
Jim Lippincott Director of Football Operations
Duke Tobin Director of Player Personnel
Greg Seamon Scout
Earl Biederman
John Cooper
Bill Tobin - scouting consultants
Debbie LaRocco Personnel Assistant

Would you say we are understaffed? Bottom line is ...as long as he sells tickets, Mike Brown is content with mediocrity. He could care less about, hiring an adequate number of scouts to evaluate talent and character, hiring a GM with football knowledge, holding coaches accountable for poor coaching decisions and schemes or what the national perception is of his team.
I think you summed up the franchise pretty well there. The personnel decisions have killed this team. As crazy as this sounds, I knew we were in trouble when I started playing the team on Madden-you could see the lack of depth compared to 2 years ago. Add all the injuries this year & you have a recipe for disaster.
The worst part may be that there are very winnable games at the end of the season which will serve as fool's gold & convince the team officials that no changes need to be made.
I wish someone would offer Mikey a ton of money & buy the team-that's our only hope.
Just look at the teams that compete year in year out and you will find one thing they all have in common is......Strong Ownership. Also look at the teams thats turned it around and most of the time you will find a change at the top. A good example is the New England Patriots. After they lost in the Super Bowl to Chicago in '85, they were doormats until Robert Kraft bought the team in the 90's. First thing he did was put someone over football operations that knew what they were doing and it turned out pretty well for them didn't it?
Poor drafting, drafting players of minimal character, and letting Chad Johnson act like an idiot as the face of the franchise have all been major factors in their demise. It's not a quick fix with this franchise and the Bengal fans need to realize this.
Lake Chief Wrote:Poor drafting, drafting players of minimal character, and letting Chad Johnson act like an idiot as the face of the franchise have all been major factors in their demise. It's not a quick fix with this franchise and the Bengal fans need to realize this.

You pretty much summed it up.
Lake Chief Wrote:Poor drafting, drafting players of minimal character, and letting Chad Johnson act like an idiot as the face of the franchise have all been major factors in their demise. It's not a quick fix with this franchise and the Bengal fans need to realize this.

And all that goes back to lack of scouting, lack of accountability and lack of leadership in the front office.