Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conditioning in '08
It's almost September, has anyone started their lifting and conditioning programs?
Godspeed Wrote:It's almost September, has anyone started their lifting and conditioning programs?

No...It's football season baby. No body doesn't care about baseball or basketball while its football!:letsparty
bluegrassballa Wrote:No...It's football season baby. No body doesn't care about baseball or basketball while its football!:letsparty
Nobody doesn't care? I guess we can tell you're from the mountains. But I'm pretty sure that baseball is pretty important to those who play. So now is the time to begin. Football starts back in may DURING baseball season. Basketball is the same, it gets started early before the dead period. Does the word head start mean anything to you?
Godspeed Wrote:Nobody doesn't care? I guess we can tell you're from the mountains. But I'm pretty sure that baseball is pretty important to those who play. So now is the time to begin. Football starts back in may DURING baseball season. Basketball is the same, it gets started early before the dead period. Does the word head start mean anything to you?

For the most part area baseball coaches are the ones that dont really care. Even the more successful ones from the mountains are just content to win their region or semi state tournaments. For the most part, kids in the mountains really dont have a clue as of what it takes to be successful at the next level, and how competetive it gets for playing time . That is why you see so many kids that come from the mountains end up quitting if they do per chance happen to make it to the college level. They just cant handle the culture shock of being on teams full of players that have busted their hind ends year round their entire careers. It is up to the high school coaches to indoctrinate the kids on a work ethic of what it takes to make it at the next level. It takes a rare breed of player and one who truly loves the game to do something on his own during the offseason to make himself an athlete or player.

Is it no wonder that teams such as Dunbar or PRP are in the championship hunt year after year after year? Baseall is a year round sport for just about all of the players at those type of programs.

Of course kids in the mountains think and get told they are basketball players too. That's THE BIG LIE.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:For the most part area baseball coaches are the ones that dont really care. Even the more successful ones from the mountains are just content to win their region or semi state tournaments. For the most part, kids in the mountains really dont have a clue as of what it takes to be successful at the next level, and how competetive it gets for playing time . That is why you see so many kids that come from the mountains end up quitting if they do per chance happen to make it to the college level. They just cant handle the culture shock of being on teams full of players that have busted their hind ends year round their entire careers. It is up to the high school coaches to indoctrinate the kids on a work ethic of what it takes to make it at the next level. It takes a rare breed of player and one who truly loves the game to do something on his own during the offseason to make himself an athlete or player.

Is it no wonder that teams such as Dunbar or PRP are in the championship hunt year after year after year? Baseall is a year round sport for just about all of the players at those type of programs.

Of course kids in the mountains think and get told they are basketball players too. That's THE BIG LIE.
So are you agreeing with me, that it is baseball season for some already? Or is this just your opinion?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:For the most part area baseball coaches are the ones that dont really care. Even the more successful ones from the mountains are just content to win their region or semi state tournaments. For the most part, kids in the mountains really dont have a clue as of what it takes to be successful at the next level, and how competetive it gets for playing time . That is why you see so many kids that come from the mountains end up quitting if they do per chance happen to make it to the college level. They just cant handle the culture shock of being on teams full of players that have busted their hind ends year round their entire careers. It is up to the high school coaches to indoctrinate the kids on a work ethic of what it takes to make it at the next level. It takes a rare breed of player and one who truly loves the game to do something on his own during the offseason to make himself an athlete or player. Is it no wonder that teams such as Dunbar or PRP are in the championship hunt year after year after year? Baseall is a year round sport for just about all of the players at those type of programs.

I totally agree with you Mr. Kimball. Most coaches in the mountains could care less what there players do in the off season. Then there are those coaches, basketball and football, that tell kids if they play any other sport than basketball and football, they aren't welcome on the team. Athletic directors, are usually to blame. Why? Because basketball is the most popular sport in the mountains and football is second. Nothing else matters. But go look at your college rosters and see which sport "little Johnny" is playing in. I'll bet you $1 to a donut it's baseball. Yea, mountain kids can go on to play at ALC, Pikeville, Union. or any other mountain college (and nothings wrong with that all are good colleges.). What erks me is the these so called basketball and football coaches tell their players that they'll get scholarships to a big name school. And it doesn't happen. I want all who read this to got look at UK's, UL"s and most DI, DII's rosters for all these major sports and see if I'm stretching the truth.

As for conditioning. Do it now and throughout the Winter. It is beneficial to you.

Of course kids in the mountains think and get told they are basketball players too. That's THE BIG LIE.[/quote]
Godspeed Wrote:So are you agreeing with me, that it is baseball season for some already? Or is this just your opinion?
Agreeing with you totally.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Agreeing with you totally.
Thanks alot. I agree with you as well 100%.:rockon:
Well I do know Lee county starts conditioning in Oct and plays through July.............about 2 and a half months off............that is pretty close to a year long program.
One of my friends at LCA said they started in August! They are comitted at that place.
Panther Thunder Wrote:One of my friends at LCA said they started in August! They are comitted at that place.
Powell usually starts in August, but they didnt start till about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Magoffin county has been doing conditioning since August this year as well.
Bath county doesnt start until february, early march, most players play other sports and dont have time
Mr.Kimball Wrote:For the most part area baseball coaches are the ones that dont really care. Even the more successful ones from the mountains are just content to win their region or semi state tournaments. For the most part, kids in the mountains really dont have a clue as of what it takes to be successful at the next level, and how competetive it gets for playing time . That is why you see so many kids that come from the mountains end up quitting if they do per chance happen to make it to the college level. They just cant handle the culture shock of being on teams full of players that have busted their hind ends year round their entire careers. It is up to the high school coaches to indoctrinate the kids on a work ethic of what it takes to make it at the next level. It takes a rare breed of player and one who truly loves the game to do something on his own during the offseason to make himself an athlete or player.

Very true. If schools want to have a good baseball program they need to be conditioning year around and playing summerball. Most coaches in the area don't want to put the time in with their kids. Kids that play three sports are told they can't participate in other things while playing that sport. They don't care about what is best for the kid just what is going to be best for them. You can look around the area and see the teams that do some work in the winter opposed to the ones that don't because they are ready to play in the first game insted of being in baseball form around mid-point during the season.
1911 Wrote:Very true. If schools want to have a good baseball program they need to be conditioning year around and playing summerball. Most coaches in the area don't want to put the time in with their kids. Kids that play three sports are told they can't participate in other things while playing that sport. They don't care about what is best for the kid just what is going to be best for them. You can look around the area and see the teams that do some work in the winter opposed to the ones that don't because they are ready to play in the first game insted of being in baseball form around mid-point during the season.
Lets just get realistic here. Of the three major sports, in this area baseball gives the student/athlete the best chance of playing at the next level. Basketball may be king in the minds of folks in this area but it offers the very least chance of playing at the next level. You can talk about mountain tradition in basketball all you want, but the fact is, times and the game have changed. We haven't had anyone out of the 15th region sign to play D1 basketball in 10 years now, but every year this board gets tons of predictions that either this player or that player have D1 written all over them. Never happens does it? Very seldom do we ever get anybody that can actually play at the DII NAIA level, let alone the NAIA DI level. When was even the last time we had any body sign around here that actually gets playing time at the NAIA DI level? Very seldom, but in the minds of most around here, the NAIA DI or NAIA DII levels is very much beneath them, they all think they are going NCAA D1.

I really think that the school systems are the ones cheating kids in this area by not pushing the baseball programs as the #1 sport. Facilities are becoming better, but still have a long way to go. Floyd County has been an absolute embarassment to the entire state when it come to baseball facilities. Prestonsburg does look like it will now have a nice place to play, but lets look at reality again, it certainly was not done or accomplished with a vision from the Floyd Co. school system. I thought the idea was to get as many kids as possible the oportunity to help get a college education payed for. Why keep on feeding the impossible dream, get real and actually help kids, instead of living in the 1950's "Hoosiers" fanasty world. Football does offer some limited options for our area youth at playing at the next level, but reality also says , unless your are a lineman and have huge bulk with the ability to run, your chances of playing football at the next level are almost nill as well. Lawrence Co. has produced a few skill players in past years that went on to play at the next level, but other than that name one player other than David Jones that fit in that category out of the 15th region. Ryan Brown is the only kid I can think of that actually had a shot.

Again shame on the school systems for not paying baseball coaches nothing more than peanuts. I can partially see why most head high school baseball coaches dont want to dedicate themselves to 12 months work for $2,000, if they are lucky enough to get that. Give them equal billing as far as pay as a football or basketball coach and then DEMAND that they condition and run their programs year round like football and basketball programs do. A true PROGRAM is a year round program, not one that starts on Feb. 15 and ends the middle of May. Pay them for putting in their time. I know that the common thought is that baseball is not a revenue producer, but when was the last time you saw a school system actually promote the game and try to attract spectators? It dont happen.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Lets just get realistic here. Of the three major sports, in this area baseball gives the student/athlete the best chance of playing at the next level. Basketball may be king in the minds of folks in this area but it offers the very least chance of playing at the next level. You can talk about mountain tradition in basketball all you want, but the fact is, times and the game have changed. We haven't had anyone out of the 15th region sign to play D1 basketball in 10 years now, but every year this board gets tons of predictions that either this player or that player have D1 written all over them. Never happens does it? Very seldom do we ever get anybody that can actually play at the DII NAIA level, let alone the NAIA DI level. When was even the last time we had any body sign around here that actually gets playing time at the NAIA DI level? Very seldom, but in the minds of most around here, the NAIA DI or NAIA DII levels is very much beneath them, they all think they are going NCAA D1.

I really think that the school systems are the ones cheating kids in this area by not pushing the baseball programs as the #1 sport. Facilities are becoming better, but still have a long way to go. Floyd County has been an absolute embarassment to the entire state when it come to baseball facilities. Prestonsburg does look like it will now have a nice place to play, but lets look at reality again, it certainly was not done or accomplished with a vision from the Floyd Co. school system. I thought the idea was to get as many kids as possible the oportunity to help get a college education payed for. Why keep on feeding the impossible dream, get real and actually help kids, instead of living in the 1950's "Hoosiers" fanasty world. Football does offer some limited options for our area youth at playing at the next level, but reality also says , unless your are a lineman and have huge bulk with the ability to run, your chances of playing football at the next level are almost nill as well. Lawrence Co. has produced a few skill players in past years that went on to play at the next level, but other than that name one player other than David Jones that fit in that category out of the 15th region. Ryan Brown is the only kid I can think of that actually had a shot.

Again shame on the school systems for not paying baseball coaches nothing more than peanuts. I can partially see why most head high school baseball coaches dont want to dedicate themselves to 12 months work for $2,000, if they are lucky enough to get that. Give them equal billing as far as pay as a football or basketball coach and then DEMAND that they condition and run their programs year round like football and basketball programs do. A true PROGRAM is a year round program, not one that starts on Feb. 15 and ends the middle of May. Pay them for putting in their time. I know that the common thought is that baseball is not a revenue producer, but when was the last time you saw a school system actually promote the game and try to attract spectators? It dont happen.

Totally agree and good post...:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
Mr. Kimball,

I would have to agree with you on the lack of vision Floyd county has concerning baseball.

They would never allow a school to go without a gym or a football field...but baseball could play in a pasture field and that would be OK.

In reality, Floyd has had some pretty good players the past few years and some decent teams particularly at Allen Central. It makes one wonder how much of their potential could of been reached had they had any kind of facility to play on.

I am 100% in agreement with you that baseball is the best avenue for a male student-athlete to get some financial help in college. Sadly, most people don't have a clue what sort dedication it takes from the local BOE, the school administration, the parents and players to get just one player to the next level...even NAIA.

In Floyd county, Allen Central has gotten as closer than the rest of the schools...but they still fail miserably versus a lot of the elite programs in the area.

To my knowledge...with the exception of AC...every baseball program in Floyd county schools had only one uniform to play home/away games in. AC kids are fortunate enough to have 3 home and 3 away complete sets of Russell uniforms.

To me, if kids don't feel like they are important enough to warrant at least 2 uniforms...then it's going to reflect in their play on the field.

All in all, baseball in Floyd is in a sad state of affairs...including Prestonsburg.

Maybe someday Floyd will get a superintendent that's a baseball fan!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Lets just get realistic here. Of the three major sports, in this area baseball gives the student/athlete the best chance of playing at the next level. Basketball may be king in the minds of folks in this area but it offers the very least chance of playing at the next level. You can talk about mountain tradition in basketball all you want, but the fact is, times and the game have changed. We haven't had anyone out of the 15th region sign to play D1 basketball in 10 years now, but every year this board gets tons of predictions that either this player or that player have D1 written all over them. Never happens does it? Very seldom do we ever get anybody that can actually play at the DII NAIA level, let alone the NAIA DI level. When was even the last time we had any body sign around here that actually gets playing time at the NAIA DI level? Very seldom, but in the minds of most around here, the NAIA DI or NAIA DII levels is very much beneath them, they all think they are going NCAA D1.

I think it is funny that kids around this area waste their time thinking they are going to play in the NBA when they should be out on the baseball field. Look at the number of kids in the 15th within the past 5 to 6 years that have gone to play baseball at the next level. I'd say only 10% of these kids worked year around. Just think what they could be if they would've actually given it a legitimate effort.
Mr. Kimball, I like the way you think. Schools don't promote the game of baseball, and they won't. It's basketball shoved down our throats and football thereafter. Yet, more kids go on to the next level playing baseball. The people in charge just don't get it.
Mr Kimball is correct.
Lawrence County has a good program and a good team returning this year but it is a very rare thing to see much support for the baseball program/team. Like he says, its not the money maker. For the most part, the folks that attend the games are mainly families of the players with a handful of honest fans in attendance. We have a great field (thanks to Coach Feltner) but the rest is pretty sad in comparison. I've been told its a waste of time trying to get any improvements. Lawrence County is not JUST a football school anymore.

We are a 3 sport family, but I do agree that baseball sure does get the shaft.