Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athletic Transfer Restrictions Approved...
http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/35051.html

Student athletes who transfer from a public to a private school, or vice versa, when entering high school would be ineligible to play but could practice with their team for one year under a rule the state Board of Education approved Thursday.

The rule was a softer version of a previous proposal that would have blocked transfer students in those situations from completely participating in their sport at the high school level for a year.

The original proposal would have created a system of "feeder" middle schools for certain private high schools. Students would have been required to sit out a year or two of sports participation if they transferred to a high school outside their assigned feeder system

The proposal was part of a broader debate about athletic competition between public and private high schools around the state. Some public school officials have complained that private schools recruit top players and have an unfair advantage by offering financial aid.
When does this take effect?
NightFlier Wrote:When does this take effect?

Could be as soon as the 2008-2009 school year.

Will this apply to all students or just those who competed on a high school team as middle school students? I have read a couple of different versions of this proposal and I can see where it might create some problems.
my only problem with this is that what if someone who is in 8th grade and wants to play football during highschool but the highschool he should go to, doesn't offer it. So he transfer's to a school that offers football, his freshman year. Now he misses his freshman year of play. Which is not a good thing because thats a real good time to ease into any sport. But thats my only real problem with this rule.