Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshman Maxey or Sophomore Green?
Wondering everyone's opinion on who they would rather have, Tyresse Maxey or Quade Green?
It's hard to say considering Maxey has never touched a college floor yet. But I'm not high on Green at point guard. He's more of a SG that is too short in my opinion. He seems to be a player that is more about himself getting his points than him leading the team and getting everyone involved. But he may do better this year as a point guard but I don't see him starting at point over Quickly.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:It's hard to say considering Maxey has never touched a college floor yet. But I'm not high on Green at point guard. He's more of a SG that is too short in my opinion. He seems to be a player that is more about himself getting his points than him leading the team and getting everyone involved. But he may do better this year as a point guard but I don't see him starting at point over Quickly.

That's true but in my opinion, Maxey will be a stud! I'm agree with you on Green completely, he's an undersized sg. Wouldn't bother me if he transferred, as long as we get another guard in this class.
Wildcats11 Wrote:That's true but in my opinion, Maxey will be a stud! I'm agree with you on Green completely, he's an undersized sg. Wouldn't bother me if he transferred, as long as we get another guard in this class.

Hagan's and Quickley will be our major guards for this years class? Are you talking about the 2019 class?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Hagan's and Quickley will be our major guards for this years class? Are you talking about the 2019 class?

No I'm talking 18, and it's not set in stone if Hagens is even reclassifying yet. With Hami gone to the draft, we will need another guard as of right now for this coming season. KJ is a 3 and Herro will play a lot of 3 so we need someone else in my opinion.
IMO Hami was way more selfish than Quade throughout most of season, but Hami came along and played better team ball toward the end. Quade seems more selfish because of the last impression he left us with was with that awful 3-point attempt. But I think Quade has potential to be a leader like a mix between Briscoe and Ulis, as a 3-4 year player.
FrozenColonel Wrote:IMO Hami was way more selfish than Quade throughout most of season, but Hami came along and played better team ball toward the end. Quade seems more selfish because of the last impression he left us with was with that awful 3-point attempt. But I think Quade has potential to be a leader like a mix between Briscoe and Ulis, as a 3-4 year player.

Quade isn't half the passer or half the defender Briscoe was. Only thing about him that reminds me of Ulis is his small stature. He can hit an open 3 from time to time but I've not saw much else he can do other than that. I usually praise all UK players, good or bad but there's something about Quade that I'm not big on.
Quade.
According to KSR, Cal has told Quade Green that he wanted him to come back next season
Green = Experience
Strikeout King Wrote:According to KSR, Cal has told Quade Green that he wanted him to come back next season

Well I wouldn't expect Cal to tell him to leave but we will have 3 guards better than him. Just because Villanova won with experience doesn't mean Quade's experience will win us anything. Hagens, Quickly and Herro are better in HS than Quade would be as a senior at UK. I'll take talent over experience every time and I think Most of college coaches agree.
Many probably don't know this, but Green was a two guard early in his high school and AAU career and only switched to the point later on. That's kind of important to note when projecting how much growth and ceiling he has as a point guard.

He didn't seem to sulk or complain when Shai took over for him and did what he could to adjust to a new role and to playing somewhat out of position.

Watching him play, I think he is a willing passer, has nice court vision, and seems to understand passing angles. His biggest adjustment in year one seemed to be to the speed and athleticism of the game, so I think he comes a long way in his second year. Offensively, he has a good shot, and could really pick up if he adds a runner or floater. Don't know if he's going to get incredibly better on defense because most of his limitations seem to be things that you can only incrementally enhance at best (i.e., size, foot speed, overall athleticism, etc.).

To an earlier comparison to Ulis, what Green reminds me of in him is his toughness and grittiness. You don't see people questioning whether he's giving it his all or not. Playing all freshman guards this year was frustrating, especially early on, and if he's gone, next year could be more of the same.

Biggest question is whether he's going to be satisfied with being a second string point guard most, if not all, of his college career. With what we thought UK had three weeks ago, I at least could have seen him being the point while Quickley played a combo-two that would slide over to the point situationally, with Johnson firmly at the three.

Fast forward (and I'm going to assume that Hagans reclassified and qualifies for the class of 18), and I don't know if he holds both he and Quickley off for the entire year. If nothing else, it at least puts him in a situation where he has competition for his spot breathing down his neck.

If Maxey is added to the mix in '18, then it is tougher, though maybe not as much as most immediately think. Maxey is more of a two who plays point in high school and could be used as a point situationally, but he seems to be more of a scorer and less of a facilitator.

I could see a situation much like the platoon one where Cal tries to find a rotation where his guards spend most of the time paired together in rotations (i.e., the Harrisons playing together and Ulis and Booker playing together). How that would shake out is anyone's guess, but I'd think that Quickley is going to start regardless, and I could easily see him starting at the one. Maybe it's Green and Quickley together in the starting unit with Hagans and Maxey coming off the bench, but it would likely be something that wouldn't be decided until the team at least had a couple of games under their belt (thus taking the option of a transfer off the table).

I'm hoping that Green stays, and think that we are a better team if he does, but given how things are looking, that might not be likely, especially with him considering a smaller school back home. LaSalle's coach was his lead recruiter while at Villanova, so there's probably already a strong relationship between the two and he knows he'd be given a huge role there. Couple that with him soon being back home for the summer with friends and family who could be encouraging him to return.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:Many probably don't know this, but Green was a two guard early in his high school and AAU career and only switched to the point later on. That's kind of important to note when projecting how much growth and ceiling he has as a point guard.

He didn't seem to sulk or complain when Shai took over for him and did what he could to adjust to a new role and to playing somewhat out of position.

Watching him play, I think he is a willing passer, has nice court vision, and seems to understand passing angles. His biggest adjustment in year one seemed to be to the speed and athleticism of the game, so I think he comes a long way in his second year. Offensively, he has a good shot, and could really pick up if he adds a runner or floater. Don't know if he's going to get incredibly better on defense because most of his limitations seem to be things that you can only incrementally enhance at best (i.e., size, foot speed, overall athleticism, etc.).

To an earlier comparison to Ulis, what Green reminds me of in him is his toughness and grittiness. You don't see people questioning whether he's giving it his all or not. Playing all freshman guards this year was frustrating, especially early on, and if he's gone, next year could be more of the same.

Biggest question is whether he's going to be satisfied with being a second string point guard most, if not all, of his college career. With what we thought UK had three weeks ago, I at least could have seen him being the point while Quickley played a combo-two that would slide over to the point situationally, with Johnson firmly at the three.

Fast forward (and I'm going to assume that Hagans reclassified and qualifies for the class of 18), and I don't know if he holds both he and Quickley off for the entire year. If nothing else, it at least puts him in a situation where he has competition for his spot breathing down his neck.

If Maxey is added to the mix in '18, then it is tougher, though maybe not as much as most immediately think. Maxey is more of a two who plays point in high school and could be used as a point situationally, but he seems to be more of a scorer and less of a facilitator.

I could see a situation much like the platoon one where Cal tries to find a rotation where his guards spend most of the time paired together in rotations (i.e., the Harrisons playing together and Ulis and Booker playing together). How that would shake out is anyone's guess, but I'd think that Quickley is going to start regardless, and I could easily see him starting at the one. Maybe it's Green and Quickley together in the starting unit with Hagans and Maxey coming off the bench, but it would likely be something that wouldn't be decided until the team at least had a couple of games under their belt (thus taking the option of a transfer off the table).

I'm hoping that Green stays, and think that we are a better team if he does, but given how things are looking, that might not be likely, especially with him considering a smaller school back home. LaSalle's coach was his lead recruiter while at Villanova, so there's probably already a strong relationship between the two and he knows he'd be given a huge role there. Couple that with him soon being back home for the summer with friends and family who could be encouraging him to return.

Good post! 👍🏼
Anyone would take talent over experience, but to win a national championship you need to have both. If you look at past championship teams, they always have experience at the guard position. Even championship teams who started three or more freshman, always had experience at the guard position. Look at UK's championship team, you had Lamb and Miller. Duke's 2015 championship team, had a veteran guard in Cook. I'm sorry, but Green can give us the experience we need next year to make a run at a championship. Without Green, history tells us that we will come up short once again. I hope I am wrong, if he decides to leave, but it's just too hard for two freshman guards to lead a team to a national championship.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Anyone would take talent over experience, but to win a national championship you need to have both. If you look at past championship teams, they always have experience at the guard position. Even championship teams who started three or more freshman, always had experience at the guard position. Look at UK's championship team, you had Lamb and Miller. Duke's 2015 championship team, had a veteran guard in Cook. I'm sorry, but Green can give us the experience we need next year to make a run at a championship. Without Green, history tells us that we will come up short once again. I hope I am wrong, if he decides to leave, but it's just too hard for two freshman guards to lead a team to a national championship.

What did Quade show during the season that made you think having his experience would help. Miller had NBA talent, Quade does not. Having experience is good as long as they can play. I've not saw anything from Quade except a few open 3's?? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Wildcats11 Wrote:What did Quade show during the season that made you think having his experience would help. Miller had NBA talent, Quade does not. Having experience is good as long as they can play. I've not saw anything from Quade except a few open 3's?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Miller was a 6'7 guard. Quade is a 5'11 SG. Big difference!
Green all day. There were about 4 frosh on this years team that are at least 3 year players and 2 of them are already gone
And all 4 players were better than Green. Same thing is gonna happen this year if he comes back. Talent is actually deeper this coming year so he is riding the bench for sure if he comes back. All he is is a spot up shooter and we have at least 2 freshman coming in that's better at that plus can do other things Green can not.
Talent, Talent, Talent, that's all we hear. I don't know, but Kansas State beat our rear ends with less talented guards, who were upper classman. Do you think there were any more talented guards than John Wall and Eric Bledsoe in "09", yet some unknown senior from West Virginia put on a clinic in the elite eight. Did UNC have more talented guards than us, the year before last. The bottom line is, talent can only take you so far and personally I'm glad that Green is going to bring some much needed experience to our back court next year. As far as Green, he is tough, competitive, and one of our best shooters.
Wildcats11 Wrote:And all 4 players were better than Green. Same thing is gonna happen this year if he comes back. Talent is actually deeper this coming year so he is riding the bench for sure if he comes back. All he is is a spot up shooter and we have at least 2 freshman coming in that's better at that plus can do other things Green can not.

If I'm not mistaken, he led the EYBL in both assists and steals-- and the assists margin wasn't even close.
Wildcats11 Wrote:Good post! 👍🏼

Thanks.
Today is the day that Maxey makes his decision