Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgetown College 91 Oklahoma City 83
GC advances to quarterfinals
Georgetown College men's basketball took a punch in the mouth Friday, trailing 8-0 in the first few minutes of the 2018 NAIA Division I Men's Basketball National Championship second round showdown. Oklahoma City University came out on fire, but seventh year coach Chris Briggs showed no fear with complete trust in his players never calling a timeout in that stretch.

The No. 9 Tigers (27-6) responded to the No. 8 Stars (24-9) early run and weathered a deficit at halftime to win 91-83. GC advances to Saturday's quarterfinal action. Tip is set for 1 pm EDT and the opponent will be the winner of the Peru State-LSU Alexandria game which plays later Friday.

"We are used to that," Briggs said of hot starts by opponents. "We get a lot of teams that come out with fire. It is good for our guys to see what a team is made of, take a knockout punch early and bounce back from it.

"I have faith they are going to bounce back. I have a tough group of guys. We had a really good response for 10 or 12 minutes after our rough start. We let it slip a bit before half, but came back out and got going again."

Two posts players had a lot to say about the bounce back. Jahyde Gardiner scored the Tigers first six points and Malik Dow came off the bench to create several steals, rebounds, back taps that led to energy and easy baskets for GC.

Gardiner finished with 14, including six-of-six from the foul line. Dow did not scratch the scoring column, but his three rebounds, one steal and two forced turnovers were better than points.

"He gets points in my book for those hustle plays," Briggs said. "He's diving on the floor, back tipping, getting rebounds, creating energy. That's key.

"Jahyde was great, really solid today. I thought as a team we played really well. Shadell (Millinghaus) had another big game. Quan (Poindexter) played great. Eljay (Cowherd) gave us great defensive minutes, slowing down OKC's best scorer. Devon (Rowan) had a tip in. Troy (Steward) hit some big free throws down the stretch. It was just great team basketball."

Millinghaus led the team with 28 points and eight rebounds. Poindexter had 15 points and Steward 13. Each had six rebounds. Cowherd finished with 12 point, four rebounds, three assists and one block, locking down on Ridell Camidge.

Camidge played a large role in the 8-0 and eventual 13-4 start for the Stars. He hit his first three three-pointers, seemingly dialed in for the long haul. Cowherd stepped up his pressure, cooling off the long distance shooter, who finished with a team-high 19 points and made just one more three. His third three made it 13-4 with 16:57 still on the clock in the first half. His final made three came 55 seconds into the second half to pull the Stars within one, 49-48.

The game went back and forth early in the final 20 minutes. GC broke it open with a 9-0 run. OKC got it back within a possession several times late in the half, but never tied it up again.

There were six ties and 17 lead changes – 11 in the second half.

http://www.georgetowncollegeathletics.co...e/3110.php
Congrats to Tigers.
Way to go Tigers.