Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Teams NOT to Win the Sweet 16
Over the years, there has been a lot more great teams that did not win the Sweet 16 than great teams that won it. Five of the teams that were absolute powerhouses that didn't win the state tournament are:

* 1975/76 Male Bulldogs. This team, led by future UofL great Bobby Turner and future UofL and NBA great Darrell Griffith won the 1975 Sweet 16. With both Turner and Griffith back, Male had maybe the most loaded team of the entire decade of the 70s. If I remember correctly, they were upset in the opening game of the district tournament. BTW, the Sweet 16 was won by little known Edmonson County that year in what is considered the "game that saved the Sweet 16."

* 1998 Lexington Catholic. The Knights were considered by many to be a shoe-in winner at the Sweet 16. Many were even saying they were the best in the history of Kentucky High School basketball (which may have been a bit of stretch). LexCath, led by four division 1 players, had beaten the likes of Oak Hill Academy and was ranked #3 in the entire nation in USA Today. Lexington Catholic had also beaten national power De La Salle (MN). LexCath was ahead by 7 points and shooting free throws with only 38 seconds to go in the Sweet 16 semi-finals before Scott County went on a scoring flurry and ended the game by outscoring LexCath 13-3 in the last 38 seconds to win by 3 on a last second 35 foot shot by Rick Jones. Many (me included) think this was the best game they have ever seen at the Sweet 16. BTW, Scott County ended the year ranked #13 in USA Today.

*1999 Scott County. Scott County had most of their scoring back in 98/99. They were ranked #6 in the nation in USA Today throughout most of the season. They were led by three division one players, Rick Jones (Vanderbilt) Scott Hundley (Vanderbilt) and AW Hamilton (Wake Forest). They won the most prestigious tournament in America at the City of Palms. They had beaten the nationally ranked Joe Jackson led Little Rock Central in the tournament semi-finals. The Cards entered the Sweet 16 with only one loss. They had played Ballard 3 times, defeating the Bruins twice. However, Ballard beat the Cardinals badly in the state finals.

* 2000 Ballard. Much like Scott County the year before, Ballard had everyone back in 99/2000. They were ranked nationally throughout the year and were beating powerhouse programs from all over the nation. They won the prestigious City of Palms Tournament as well. However, the Bruins were beaten in the regional tournament by the Male Bulldogs, who was also nationally ranked.

* 2001 Male. The 2000/2001 Male Bulldogs were absolutely loaded and nationally ranked in USA Today. If they could only make it out of the tough 7th Region they were the clear favorite to win the Sweet 16. The Bulldogs won the 7th Region and cruised through the state tournament until lightly regarded Lafayette upset the Bulldogs in the state finals. Lafayette had entered the Sweet 16 with 11 loses and was considered no real match for Male.

I'm sure there have been other nationally ranked teams that didn't win the Sweet 16. Who are they? It takes more than having a great team to win the Sweet 16.
The 1988 Clay Co. Tigers are my pick. They returned four starters and the 6th man from the 87 state championship team, their only loss all year before the state championship game was a two-pointer to Eau Claire, SC in the Beach Ball Classic, where they won two games. They won the LIT, beating Bardstown with Boo Brewer, PRP who had Andy Penick and Allan Houston’s Ballard team in a 24-hour span. They got as high as third in the nation in USA Today’s poll. ABC sent Dick Schaap down to do a national story. Kids would line up under the goals in pregame to watch Russ Chadwell dunk in warmups. He finished second in the Beach Ball Slam Dunk contest. They had the misfortune of drawing into the lower bracket in the state tournament, which meant Ballard played the early game Saturday, got extra rest while Clay beat a great PRP team for the second time in a game that was I think 91-88 and took so much out of them. Ballard, which was sensational as well, then won the state title rematch as Clay just finally ran out of gas. That was the game where Richie had 51. You’ll never convince me that Clay wouldn’t have won that one too if they had the Sunday final format like now. Oh, and best of all every one of those kids in 87 and 88 were just home grown kids. They were a true phenomenon, if you’re not old enough to remember it, you really missed something unique. Don’t think you’ll ever see anything quite like it again.
Van Hagar Wrote:The 1988 Clay Co. Tigers are my pick. They returned four starters and the 6th man from the 87 state championship team, their only loss all year before the state championship game was a two-pointer to Eau Claire, SC in the Beach Ball Classic, where they won two games. They won the LIT, beating Bardstown with Boo Brewer, PRP who had Andy Penick and Allan Houston’s Ballard team in a 24-hour span. They got as high as third in the nation in USA Today’s poll. ABC sent Dick Schaap down to do a national story. Kids would line up under the goals in pregame to watch Russ Chadwell dunk in warmups. He finished second in the Beach Ball Slam Dunk contest. They had the misfortune of drawing into the lower bracket in the state tournament, which meant Ballard played the early game Saturday, got extra rest while Clay beat a great PRP team for the second time in a game that was I think 91-88 and took so much out of them. Ballard, which was sensational as well, then won the state title rematch as Clay just finally ran out of gas. That was the game where Richie had 51. You’ll never convince me that Clay wouldn’t have won that one too if
they had the Sunday final format like now. Oh, and best of all every one of those kids in 87 and 88 were just home grown kids. They were a true phenomenon, if you’re not old enough to remember it, you really missed something unique. Don’t think you’ll ever see anything quite like it again.

The only game I missed that year was the Beach Ball Classic and the LIT tournament that year. This was a team of a lifetime for me 64SUR Confusederiously:
You missed 6 great games! 😂😂One of the Beach Ball games we beat Simi Valley, CA 95-91, they had Don MacLean who became UCLA’s all-time leading scorer. Great times, impossible to believe it’s been 30 years, seems like just a couple years ago.
1996 UHA, not even sure if they made it to the state. Pretty sure they had Barns, Victor, and Swanagen. All three played D-1 (Temple, UT, and Notre Dame).
I’ll just throw in 1957 Pikeville. Just because John Bill Trivette never got to claim a Championship in a run of mountain teams winning it.
Mountain Wrote:1996 UHA, not even sure if they made it to the state. Pretty sure they had Barns, Victor, and Swanagen. All three played D-1 (Temple, UT, and Notre Dame).

If I remember correctly, this great team was beaten in the opening game of the district tournament.
1992 Clay County
The 1997 & 1998 Paintsville teams.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Rojas, I believe you are correct about that UHA team. I know they did win the Class “A” that year, during a time period when the Class “A”State was really strong.
rojas Wrote:Over the years, there has been a lot more great teams that did not win the Sweet 16 than great teams that won it. Five of the teams that were absolute powerhouses that didn't win the state tournament are:

* 1975/76 Male Bulldogs. This team, led by future UofL great Bobby Turner and future UofL and NBA great Darrell Griffith won the 1975 Sweet 16. With both Turner and Griffith back, Male had maybe the most loaded team of the entire decade of the 70s. If I remember correctly, they were upset in the opening game of the district tournament. BTW, the Sweet 16 was won by little known Edmonson County that year in what is considered the "game that saved the Sweet 16."

* 1998 Lexington Catholic. The Knights were considered by many to be a shoe-in winner at the Sweet 16. Many were even saying they were the best in the history of Kentucky High School basketball (which may have been a bit of stretch). LexCath, led by four division 1 players, had beaten the likes of Oak Hill Academy and was ranked #3 in the entire nation in USA Today. Lexington Catholic had also beaten national power De La Salle (MN). LexCath was ahead by 7 points and shooting free throws with only 38 seconds to go in the Sweet 16 semi-finals before Scott County went on a scoring flurry and ended the game by outscoring LexCath 13-3 in the last 38 seconds to win by 3 on a last second 35 foot shot by Rick Jones. Many (me included) think this was the best game they have ever seen at the Sweet 16. BTW, Scott County ended the year ranked #13 in USA Today.

*1999 Scott County. Scott County had most of their scoring back in 98/99. They were ranked #6 in the nation in USA Today throughout most of the season. They were led by three division one players, Rick Jones (Vanderbilt) Scott Hundley (Vanderbilt) and AW Hamilton (Wake Forest). They won the most prestigious tournament in America at the City of Palms. They had beaten the nationally ranked Joe Jackson led Little Rock Central in the tournament semi-finals. The Cards entered the Sweet 16 with only one loss. They had played Ballard 3 times, defeating the Bruins twice. However, Ballard beat the Cardinals badly in the state finals.

* 2000 Ballard. Much like Scott County the year before, Ballard had everyone back in 99/2000. They were ranked nationally throughout the year and were beating powerhouse programs from all over the nation. They won the prestigious City of Palms Tournament as well. However, the Bruins were beaten in the regional tournament by the Male Bulldogs, who was also nationally ranked.

* 2001 Male. The 2000/2001 Male Bulldogs were absolutely loaded and nationally ranked in USA Today. If they could only make it out of the tough 7th Region they were the clear favorite to win the Sweet 16. The Bulldogs won the 7th Region and cruised through the state tournament until lightly regarded Lafayette upset the Bulldogs in the state finals. Lafayette had entered the Sweet 16 with 11 loses and was considered no real match for Male.

I'm sure there have been other nationally ranked teams that didn't win the Sweet 16. Who are they? It takes more than having a great team to win the Sweet 16.

They were an unbelievable talent. That was my senior year in high school as well. When I was a junior they won the state tournament, and my team would have played them in the second round if we had won our opening game. We were both in the same bracket. They went on to beat Knott Co. Central in that 2nd round game by what was at that time the most lopsided game in state tournament history. But it would have been something to tell the grand kids that you got to play against those guys....

The team that beat Male in '76 was no slouch team either. That Ballard team was loaded with future college stars as well as 3 future NBA players, Jeff Lamp, Lee Raker, Terry Gates, and Jerry Eaves..

Ballard went on to win the '77 state title and Bo Davenport became a state celebrity in '76.

And yes you are correct, there was heavy talk at that time about going to a class system. The 1976 tournament indeed saved the "Sweet 16".
Van Hagar Wrote:The 1988 Clay Co. Tigers are my pick. They returned four starters and the 6th man from the 87 state championship team, their only loss all year before the state championship game was a two-pointer to Eau Claire, SC in the Beach Ball Classic, where they won two games. They won the LIT, beating Bardstown with Boo Brewer, PRP who had Andy Penick and Allan Houston’s Ballard team in a 24-hour span. They got as high as third in the nation in USA Today’s poll. ABC sent Dick Schaap down to do a national story. Kids would line up under the goals in pregame to watch Russ Chadwell dunk in warmups. He finished second in the Beach Ball Slam Dunk contest. They had the misfortune of drawing into the lower bracket in the state tournament, which meant Ballard played the early game Saturday, got extra rest while Clay beat a great PRP team for the second time in a game that was I think 91-88 and took so much out of them. Ballard, which was sensational as well, then won the state title rematch as Clay just finally ran out of gas. That was the game where Richie had 51. You’ll never convince me that Clay wouldn’t have won that one too if they had the Sunday final format like now. Oh, and best of all every one of those kids in 87 and 88 were just home grown kids. They were a true phenomenon, if you’re not old enough to remember it, you really missed something unique. Don’t think you’ll ever see anything quite like it again.
prove that they were all home grown Confusednicker:
My brother grew up with all of them. I know there mommy’s and daddy’s. I umpired all of their little league games. I can take you to every single one of their childhood homes. I had a teacher tell me when they were in the 1st Grade! we’ve got a group that’s gonna win the state tournament some day. Don’t worry PJ Dog, it might happen in Whitley Co. someday too. Just don’t hold your breath. Or on second thought do.
Van Hagar Wrote:My brother grew up with all of them. I know there mommy’s and daddy’s. I umpired all of their little league games. I can take you to every single one of their childhood homes. I had a teacher tell me when they were in the 1st Grade! we’ve got a group that’s gonna win the state tournament some day. Don’t worry PJ Dog, it might happen in Whitley Co. someday too. Just don’t hold your breath. Or on second thought do.

What years did the Smith kid that was tragically killed in a 4-wheeler accident play? I think he may have played with the Shawn Pennington teams. He wasn't a great scorer but was a very solid rebounder and defensive player.
Bob Seger Wrote:They were an unbelievable talent. That was my senior year in high school as well. When I was a junior they won the state tournament, and my team would have played them in the second round if we had won our opening game. We were both in the same bracket. They went on to beat Knott Co. Central in that 2nd round game by what was at that time the most lopsided game in state tournament history. But it would have been something to tell the grand kids that you got to play against those guys....

The team that beat Male in '76 was no slouch team either. That Ballard team was loaded with future college stars as well as 3 future NBA players, Jeff Lamp, Lee Raker, Terry Gates, and Jerry Eaves..

Ballard went on to win the '77 state title and Bo Davenport became a state celebrity in '76.

And yes you are correct, there was heavy talk at that time about going to a class system. The 1976 tournament indeed saved the "Sweet 16".

At one time the University of Virginia's starting lineup was Ralph Sampson and 4 guys from Louisville.
rojas Wrote:What years did the Smith kid that was tragically killed in a 4-wheeler accident play? I think he may have played with the Shawn Pennington teams. He wasn't a great scorer but was a very solid rebounder and defensive player.

I'm pretty sure Eddie Smith was a senior on the '85 team that lost to Hopkinsville in the championship. That team had Smith, Jamie Hoskins, Sean Pennington, Richie Farmer, Woody Asher & Mark Jackson.
nedreader Wrote:I'm pretty sure Eddie Smith was a senior on the '85 team that lost to Hopkinsville in the championship. That team had Smith, Jamie Hoskins, Sean Pennington, Richie Farmer, Woody Asher & Mark Jackson.
That’s right, he was sort of a typical Bobby Keith post player, wide bodied and tough, though probably a little taller and a little more skilled than most of Bobby’s other kids like that over the years.
Would have to add some of those U. Heights teams of the 90’s. Couldn’t get much more talented Barnes, victor, Swanigan and company