Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A Championship
mysonis 55, what was the final statistics and your take on the game, I respect your opinion more than most.
blue55 Wrote:mysonis 55, what was the final statistics and your take on the game, I respect your opinion more than most.

Here are your stats.

http://khsaa.org/football/2017/2afinal.pdf

At the end of the 3rd Quarter Danville had 312 yards to Mayfields 179. It was 28-8 at that time.

Cardinals put on a lot of yards in the 4th as Danville wore down and scored on the last play of the game which was meaningless.

Just as easily been 35-15
Well, I got back last night and therefore haven't had a chance to check the stats. Bottom line, the Ads were better than I really expected. I think the teams were pretty close to equal but, Mayfield shot themselves in the foot early. The Ads drive the initial drive right down our throats and scored. Mayfield had a chance to answer. They false started, had a hold and then dropped a wide open pass to end our first drive. They rallied back shortly after and took an 8-7 lead. According to the administrator of another site (a Beechwood fan who don't like Mayfield) we actually scored the two point conversion and should have been up 10-7. Then the Ads called a brilliant play and caught us over pursuing, on a reverse, and there wasn't any catching 7 in the open field, which was good for 7. Then stalemate ensued for a bit. The Ads drive the ball back down the field and threw a pass to our db in the endzone, which gave the Ads 7 points. It is what it is, we benefitted from a bad call in 2015 for 7 and the Ads did here. I really don't think the Cards ever recovered. We had a really good drive to about their 10 and apparently the wr fumbled and the Ads recovered. It would have cut that lead to manageable. We managed to make it 35-21 at the end. But, you could make the argument that it should have been a 5 point game. I agree with some saying we didn't look like ourselves out there. I haven't seen that many dropped passes and penalties in a game all year. But, they are young. Most of the skill spots are juniors, seniors or freshmen.
Man there's a lot of talent right there in Boyle county. Guess it's not called title town for nothing.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well, I got back last night and therefore haven't had a chance to check the stats. Bottom line, the Ads were better than I really expected. I think the teams were pretty close to equal but, Mayfield shot themselves in the foot early. The Ads drive the initial drive right down our throats and scored. Mayfield had a chance to answer. They false started, had a hold and then dropped a wide open pass to end our first drive. They rallied back shortly after and took an 8-7 lead. According to the administrator of another site (a Beechwood fan who don't like Mayfield) we actually scored the two point conversion and should have been up 10-7. Then the Ads called a brilliant play and caught us over pursuing, on a reverse, and there wasn't any catching 7 in the open field, which was good for 7. Then stalemate ensued for a bit. The Ads drive the ball back down the field and threw a pass to our db in the endzone, which gave the Ads 7 points. It is what it is, we benefitted from a bad call in 2015 for 7 and the Ads did here. I really don't think the Cards ever recovered. We had a really good drive to about their 10 and apparently the wr fumbled and the Ads recovered. It would have cut that lead to manageable. We managed to make it 35-21 at the end. But, you could make the argument that it should have been a 5 point game. I agree with some saying we didn't look like ourselves out there. I haven't seen that many dropped passes and penalties in a game all year. But, they are young. Most of the skill spots are juniors, seniors or freshmen.

I thought the 2 point conversion was good as well. But it wouldn’t have mattered since the Ads responded quickly.

I think that this year Danville was just the better team.

Future, as always, looks bright for the Cards.
Our boys showed their youth. You cannot win state if you drop passes and have penalties. They will learn and grow. I think the Ads will fare far less next year. I hate the off season.
Does anyone know if the regions flip for semi-state in’18? In other words, will Mayfield play at the Region 2 winner in the semi’s or will they face Region 3?
Region 3 will play winner of Region 1 in 18.