Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2017 season outlook
Whats the future hold?
Russell will again see gradual improvement in 2017. Another district fight between Russell and Fleming is definitely in the offing. However, I don't see them being on par with Corbin and Belfry.
Russell will be a solid team that will compete every week but I do see them stepping back with the loss of Conley and his Senior teammates. An athlete like Conley is hard to replace (leading rusher since his freshman year with over 4,500 career yards I believe and 6 interceptions on defense this season) but they also lose their 2nd leading rusher, top 4 receivers, and the majority of their defensive numbers in tackles and turnovers. They return their starting QB in Smith and Stump and will be a factor on offense. The defense will have some starters back but the rest of the team will be new faces.
Russell only loses 11 seniors, but almost all of them were starters and very productive players. I don't really see a true bell cow running back on the roster next year to replace Nick Conley. It'll likely be RB by committee. Nathan Brinkman, Cole Coburn, and Landon Duvall will give Russell a smaller, but quicker backfield. Sophomore-to-be Malakai Anderson has a huge upside. He just needs to continue filling out his frame with solid weight.

Austin Smith returns at quarterback after throwing for over 1600 yards and accounting for 16 touchdowns. He's an athletic kid with a big arm. I think a lot will be expected of him next year in terms of playmaking and leadership.

The top two receivers are gone in Brewer and Boehm. Guys like Ryan Stump and Jaeden Layne will have to step up and take on bigger roles in the passing game. Depth at receiver worries me a bit. Some unproven young receivers will be called upon to play significant roles.

I feel good about the O-line. Aaron Hill, Tucker Brown, and Austin Braden are returning starters. Russell's got its share of good young linemen coming up. The incoming sophomore class has a few kids that could work their way into some playing time. I could see Will Gunning competing for a starting job. Juniors John Giles, Jackson Doak, Cameron Jenkins, and Trey Belcher will all be in the mix as well.

Defensively, Russell has to replace two D-linemen, all three starting linebackers, and a lot of experience in the secondary.

Jacob Pierce and Seth Deboard were impact players on the line last year. They'll probably be replaced by some combination of Aaron Hill, Tucker Brown, Jackson Doak, Trey Belcher, Cameron Jenkins (would give them some size on the interior), and John Giles (assuming he's not starting at middle linebacker). Ryan Stump and Austin Braden return from last year. Stump, especially, will be a nightmare to block next year.

At linebacker, Maxx Blackburn, Evan Ison, and Blake Thompson are gone. Grant Bates returns after seeing a lot of action and starting a few games. Giles could be called upon to man the middle. The other outside position will be up for grabs. Grant Wilburn looked really good at outside backer at the JV level. Grant will likely be the quarterback in 2018, but until then, he's too good to keep off the field at another position. Could also see Malakai Anderson get a look there.

On the back end, the Devils lose a ton of experience in Conley (4 year starter), Brewer (3 year starter), and Boehm (two year starter). Nathan Brinkman returns at one corner. Coburn could hold down the other corner spot while Layne fills one of the holes at safety. Duvall, Reed Galloway, and Jacob Thompson are some other names to look for at defensive back.

Should be another good year up on the hill. Not sure what the schedule looks like. Probably the same as last year's.
I think Russell will still be solid, but will take a small step back.

Losing Conley, Blackburn, and Ison are three very tough holes to fill.

Probably a team that flirts with the 3A Top 10... probably a 7-3 or 8-2 type of team.

I think you see Fleming County close some ground on them as well as potential playoff foes Lawrence County and Pike Central. Still would lean toward them being the most likely matchup for Belfry in the Regional Finals as they should still give Fleming issues at the LOS.
Coach Maynard will have the devils ready. He is best coach in the area hands down and has talent coming back.
This will be his 4th season. I believe you will start seeing the rewards of his strength and conditioning program.
Russell and Raceland have something in common, yet again this year. The 4th year. This will be the first year that the entire team are Maynard and Salmons' kids. But, imo, works in two different ways. For Maynard its a chance to prove that his system, his way of doing things, his strength and conditioning program, his mindset of a blue-collar attitude are what it takes to get Russell back to their days of competing for Championships. Sadly for Russell, from the sounds of it, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg that is the Belfry Pirates. But, TJ has Russell talking football again and I think that for now, a goal of a district title is attainable every year and atleast playing and being comptitive for a regional title is an option in special years. Good luck to TJ and his squad this year.
Does anyone know how things are going up on the hill in Red Devil country?
Same old same old this year in Flatwoods. Russell will do fine with their cupcake district and weak out of district schedule, but when it comes time to play a physical team in the playoffs they will flounder and spin out under Maynard's soft system. Y'all can say whatever you want but proofs in the pudding last two years in the playoffs. Unless Russell can develop balance and get back to basics such as TE's and going under center it will be another embarrassment in November awaiting them at the hands of Belfry or maybe earlier depending on what Ironton or Ashland have this year.
Really? You're saying Russell's lack of success against The last two Belfry teams are a sign of softness? Then Russell was as soft as nearly 99 percent of Belfrys schedule. I seem to recall a running clock in the majority of their games. Russell along with most was just out talented. Had nothing to do with toughness. And I'm just referring to TJs first two years. We all know how Russell got during McGlones last years. Even Raceland was making them look soft.
MightyDog mark my words Russell will never beat Belfry under current system!! You and everyone else in Flatwoods can drink all the kool aid you want but your delusions of one day being a legit contender again under this regime will never happen.
Over the years TJ runs the ball much more than he throws. I don't think it has much to do with the system. Belfry is just better at nearly every position. Belfry has just been a well oiled machine the last few years.
With the losses on the team I believe that Fleming takes the district this year with a strong senior class. Russell getting second or third in the district will determine how good of a year it is for them: Meaning they can't sleep on West Carter who will also be young but could pull off a surprise with the speed they have.

Fleming has to have a sour taste in their mouths after losing in the playoffs AND losing their final regular season game against East Carter! I imagine that gave the team a lot of motivation for the offseason.
Who does Russell scrimmage this year besides East Carter at the ekc grid?
Russell's 2017 scrimmages

Aug 12 vs. East Carter at Greenup County 6pm

Aug 18 @ Wheelersburg, OH 7:00pm
At Wheelersburg? Prepare to get smacked Russell. That's a tough scrimmage.
I think they've scrimmage then the last several yrs. I heard Church hurt his arm or shoulder. Does anyone know anything about it?
I heard someone from Russell got injured in the East Carter scrimmage. I hope it's not too bad. It would be a big loss to the team.