Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Running Back In Eastern KY ????
I'm taking Corey Smith from Hazard. He's dynamite! I'd put him up against anyone.
Lot of the kids at lesser programs would thrive running behind some of the lines at better schools. Kids like Troxell have taken their teams to another level.
Would love to see some of these kids running behind Belfry's man Mountain line
Myles Hurst is a great back and kid. He has had to overcome a lot in life. Football became his escape and gave him a purpose. He has never missed one off season workout or practice.

He will be greatly missed at Jackson Co. and playing football is not the main reason...he is just a good kid, everything you could hope for In a player and person!

With nothing but the utmost respect for ALL the RB's mentioned, they all work hard, they bust their tail and deserve nothing but praise and admiration.....I would take Myles Hurst over anyone...he is my guy and I love like a son!!'
The Cross Movement Wrote:Myles Hurst is a great back and kid. He has had to overcome a lot in life. Football became his escape and gave him a purpose. He has never missed one off season workout or practice.

He will be greatly missed at Jackson Co. and playing football is not the main reason...he is just a good kid, everything you could hope for In a player and person!

With nothing but the utmost respect for ALL the RB's mentioned, they all work hard, they bust their tail and deserve nothing but praise and admiration.....I would take Myles Hurst over anyone...he is my guy and I love like a son!!'
Great post and story. This is why I find football to be such a great sport. It allows some kids to find a path out of difficult home situations. I don't know the young man, but hopefully the love of football leads him to play in college and get a degree as a result.
Mason County has a nice upcoming back in Devine. If they can somehow get more kids out to play football and add more size and strength to their O-line...this kid may be dangerous. He has great field vision and he is just a junior.
Patric Edwards

Rush attempts-103
Yards-951
TDs-10
YPG-119
Name worth mentioning
oldschool77 Wrote:Great post and story. This is why I find football to be such a great sport. It allows some kids to find a path out of difficult home situations. I don't know the young man, but hopefully the love of football leads him to play in college and get a degree as a result.

You are right. This young man is an overcomer, and football has given him a vehicle to something positive. Most kids would be dead or in jail with his background. No young person should have to go through what he did. He did not crawl into a hole and feel sorry himself. He did not or does not expect anything to be handed to him. He works and digs. He is so loyal and faithful you can sometimes take it for granted.

I will miss this young man a lot!
Phelps and it's not even close.
Tiger77 Wrote:Phelps and it's not even close.

Kent Phelps SR
7 Games
81 Carries
862 Yards
16 TD's
123 Yards Per Game
10.6 Yards Per Carry

Joe Jackson Soph.
8 Games
82 Carries
1,061 Yards
16 TD's
133 Yards Per Game
12.9 Yards Per Carry

What are you smoking TIGER 77, or have you been visiting BIGMELONHEAD?

I will not take a position on who is the best because both of them are great players and kids. But to get on this board and say that it is not close show how blind you are.

Kent best weapon is his speed and Joe best weapon is his toughness. Two difference styles of back but make not mistake they both great high school players and it is very close.
Also Jackson is averaging 1 carry less per game than Phelps...
E's Army Wrote:Lot of the kids at lesser programs would thrive running behind some of the lines at better schools. Kids like Troxell have taken their teams to another level.

I agree. Troxell has rushed for over 1700 yards. 213 yds a game. Scored 21 Td's. He is a very good Running Back and just a Jr. so he will be around and in the talk next season.
Confusedinglepar
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I agree. Troxell has rushed for over 1700 yards. 213 yds a game. Scored 21 Td's. He is a very good Running Back and just a Jr. so he will be around and in the talk next season.
Confusedinglepar

Troxell deserves all the praise he is getting. He is a great hard working young man! Very happy to see him get the proper respect and recognition he deserves! Good back, better young man!
Football is a great character builder. It makes men out of boys.
Since I am a high school football geek and have too much time on my hands, I decided to get the numbers and post the Top 4 RB in EKY(statistically) per class 1A-5A.

1A
Dalton Cook, 1469 yds, 14 TD, Lynn Camp
Cory Smith, 1387 yds, 17 TD, Hazard
Kent Phillips, 1,021 yds, 18 TD, Paintsville
Kendal Brock, 824 yds, 17 TD, Harlan

2A
Brody Johnson, 1294 yds, 20 TD, East Ridge(7 games)
Jordan Hampton, 1276 yds, 19 TD, Shelby Valley
Jordan Doan, 1214 yds, 14 TD, Somerset
Seth Johnson, 1147 yds, 12 TD, Shelby Valley

3A
Brandon Troxell, 2056 yds, 25 TD, McCreary Central
Myles Hurst, 1825 yds, 18 TD, Jackson County
Nathan Skidmore, 1346 yds, 20 TD, Powell County
Dawson Bingham, 1236 yds, 15 TD, Estill County

4A
Joe Jackson, 1186 yds, 17 TD, Johnson Central
Dylan Fultz, 958 yds, 3 TD, Rowan County
Donavan Arthur, 871 yds, 7 TD, Knox Central
Holdan Barnett, 605 yds, 8 TD, Rockcastle County

5A
Jordan Neace, 1461 yds, 15 TD, Perry County Central
Patric Edwards, 1052 yds, 11 TD, Southwestern
Matt Sizemore, 687 yds, 6 TD, North Laurel
Jose Rodriguez, 678 yds, 5 TD, North Laurel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
In my 100% honest opinion you put Catron from Belfry on any other team and he would rush for 150-200 yards a game easily. Most good back get the ball around 20 times a game. That doesn't happen at Belfry, Cameron carries the ball 3-4 times a game and that's it. Only game against Pikeville, he did get 5 carries and went for 210 yards. I haven't seen a back do that to Pikeville or any other quality team.
proud44pirate Wrote:In my 100% honest opinion you put Catron from Belfry on any other team and he would rush for 150-200 yards a game easily. Most good back get the ball around 20 times a game. That doesn't happen at Belfry, Cameron carries the ball 3-4 times a game and that's it. Only game against Pikeville, he did get 5 carries and went for 210 yards. I haven't seen a back do that to Pikeville or any other quality team.

I'm sure you know much better than I do, but I believe that Belfry has 4 or 5 that are averaging over or close to 10 yards per carry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
checkmate9113 Wrote:Also Jackson is averaging 1 carry less per game than Phelps...

True and Phelps has played 1 game less than Jackson plus in 6 of the 8 games played he played the 1st Half of the game but still has 18 TD's (tied for 1st in the state, in 1A) AND in only 8 games! Just stats but yes it is VERY CLOSE between these 2 great Johnson county Backs! Glad to see Johnson county Football as strong as it is!
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I'm sure you know much better than I do, but I believe that Belfry has 4 or 5 that are averaging over or close to 10 yards per carry.

Including 2 freshmen.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I'm sure you know much better than I do, but I believe that Belfry has 4 or 5 that are averaging over or close to 10 yards per carry.

Belfry has I think 5 backs over 400 yards rushing and Wellman would be the 6th had he not sat out the past three weeks.

Catron averages 12.9 per carry. He averages a TD every 6.7 carries.

By my count I see Belfry with 5 guys averaging over 10 per carry.

I would say Catron, Hunter, and Wellman would easily be the #1 HB and top rusher for probably 80% of the State.
I might average 5 yards per carry behind their line.
oldschool77 Wrote:I might average 5 yards per carry behind their line.

A VERY fair point