Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Basketball
Who are the top teams in the 15th region?
Preseason, I'd have to say:
1. Johnson Central
2. Sheldon Clark
3. Magoffin Co
4. Pikeville
5. ER/Pike Central
6⬇️ Everyone else
1 Magoffin Co
2 Sheldon Clark
3 Johnson Central
4 Pikeville
5 Pike Central
6 East Ridge
7 Lawrence Co
8 Paintsville
9 Belfry
10 Prestonsburg
1 Magoffin Co
2 Sheldon Clark
3 Johnson Central
4 East Ridge
5 Pikeville
6 Pike Central
7 Lawrence Co
8 Paintsville
9 Belfry
10 Allen Central
The #10 could very well be given to either Allen Central or South Floyd as they will be in my eyes the two top teams in the 58th this year. Both are very young and could see a rise in this list towards the end of the season.
By the middle of the season look out for Pikeville to be coming on strong
1.Johnson Central
2.Magoffin County
3.Sheldon Clark
4.Pikeville
5.Pike County Central
6.Lawrence County
7.Shelby Valley
8.East Ridge
9.South Floyd
10.Belfry
Shelby Valley isn't going to have much to even consider being in the top 10 a lot of freshmen and sophomores
Can't see PCC at 5 or 6
I'm looking forward to covering some 15th region basketball this season. I'll be covering 13th and 15th this season.
Regional champion will come from the 57th district.

You heard it here first.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Sheldon Clark should be a tough out this year. Both james brothers and the rest of the crew. I haven't seen many teams but they could be the biggest team in the region. Hope for a good season in. Hopefully this is the last year they have to play in the middle school.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Regional champion will come from the 57th district.

You heard it here first.

I don't think anybody would dispute that considering everyone so far has the 57th in their top 3.
Guys I really have to disagree with all of your preseason top 10 teams. Why so high on teams like Pikeville and Pike Central? PC lost many key contributors and Pikeville will be very weak in my opinion. I would be more inclined to make a top 5, because I feel that there are only 5 who will be above average as far as separating themselves from the field.

1. Magoffin County- This is pretty obvious for me, they return a ton of talent from a team that was impressive for most of last season. I am not ready to appoint Russell as the best player in the region, but this team is built to win it all this year. I feel they have the coaching as well as the talent to run through most of the region on any given night this season.

2. Johnson Central- As long as Tommy McKenzie is around, JC is going to be king of the hill. Think about it, it took a once-in-a-generation team in Lawrence Co. this season to end the Johnson Central regional dynasty. If he can continue to reign in the sometimes egotistic Blair and Crace, it wouldn't shock me or anyone else if they did knock off Magoffin.

3. Shelby Valley- This pick has the most boom or bust value to me. After watching multiple days of summer league in multiple venues, I feel that Hicks may be on the brink of his biggest season at Valley. Every chance I had to watch this summer, his team looked the most "season ready" of all teams I saw. The team returns Lamont Wright, who will be no doubt lead in most stat categories.

4. Sheldon Clark- I am giving them this position mostly because of the return of Dylan James. However, I do not feel this team has much depth and I question surrounding pieces to the puzzle with James, so this pick could change rather quickly. For now, I'll give the Cards the benefit of the doubt.

5. *SLEEPER* Belfry- With a ton of talent and experience returning, this is the year the Pirates finally break out. Belfry will have the ability to run and gun with multiple guard lineups as well as slow the pace and play with big men.
I think its Magoffin year Johnson Central and Sheldon Clark will be right there but never count out Pikeville with the new coach.
As far as the 15th region goes, it is very weak outside of the 57th district, which is where your region champion will come from. East Ridge would get the nod in the 59th for the next best team, simply because of the amount of seniors they have returning. Shelby Valley will return one of the best players in Wright and Pikeville with Battlie should contend for runner up in that district. In the 60th, Lawrence should come out on top with PCC as runner up. The 58th shouldn't be much of a player in the region this year.
What's the thoughts on Paintsville?
Magoffin , Sheldon Clark , Johnson Central . We fight it out in the 57 .
I do think those are the best teams to start the season out!
Paintsville will be down this year... With a new (young) coach and young players I don't expect much. If they give Landon a fair shake I believe he can build a great program. But it takes the kids coming out to play that should. But I've seen usually it's about last names and bank accounts... I believe Landon will fix that issue, play the kids the deserve to play that's how you win ball games.
57th will be very competative. Magoffin, Sheldon Clark and JC are top 3 teams in region.
With the additions of Watkins and Hamilton, you now have to consider Pikeville a serious threat to win the region.
1 magoffin
2 sc
3 Jc

Everybody else

I think JC will be the team left out of the Region this year.
I haven't seen Magoffin play yet, but it will be a dogfight between JC and SC. JC really know how to dig deep and pull out wins when they're down. SC have several sharp shooters, including Dylan James, that can hit from everywhere on the floor. I have not seen a smoother shot than James' in many years. The 57th will definitely be interesting.
I am so sick of hearing one player is going here and one is going there.... One thing I know for sure the KHSAA has NO GUTS..... Sad group
District Champion/Runner up predictions:

57th:
Johnson Central
Magoffin County

58th:
South Floyd
Allen Central

59th:
Pikeville
East Ridge

60th:
Lawrence County