Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central in 3A
i think they have ranked Floyd central in 3A to quick its not going to be anywhere near a 3A school. what does everyone think
big dawg, small yard Wrote:i think they have ranked Floyd central in 3A to quick its not going to be anywhere near a 3A school. what does everyone think
SF average enrollment projection for 2015-2018 is 153. AC's is 232. Combined that's 385 which is larger than Belfry and in the mid to high 3A category. There would have to be a substantial drop (nearly 20%) in enrollment when the schools combine to even be close to dropping in class as Magoffin Co is the smallest true 3A at 315.

Given that it is a new facility I do not see a drop of that magnitude. Add in the fact that Sheldon Clark pulled out of district play the KHSAA will want a 4th team if at all possible in 3A district 6. Welcome to the Belfry district.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:SF average enrollment projection for 2015-2018 is 153. AC's is 232. Combined that's 385 which is larger than Belfry and in the mid to high 3A category. There would have to be a substantial drop (nearly 20%) in enrollment when the schools combine to even be close to dropping in class as Magoffin Co is the smallest true 3A at 315.

Given that it is a new facility I do not see a drop of that magnitude. Add in the fact that Sheldon Clark pulled out of district play the KHSAA will want a 4th team if at all possible in 3A district 6. Welcome to the Belfry district.

Why did Sheldon Clark pull out of District play?
If it's barely a 3A school, it's awfully small for a new school. Why wasn't Betsy Layne included? How big would it be then?
Adding in Betsy Layne would have been tough for the demographics of Floyd County. Walking into a tough situation, you can have a gem or a bust. If Bill Letton is the HC, they may give Belfry a run for their money in a couple of seasons.
I'm not that familiar with Floyd County, but it didn't seem like it was a very long trip from Allen Central to Betsy Layne.

I don't know if anyone could be expected to field a team to compete with Belfry. How many playoff games have Allen Central and South Floyd won? It kind of reminds me of when Wheelwright and McDowell merged, except at least Wheelwright had some success in the 1970s.
It's more about the central location for the school. Abner Mountain is light years away from Pike/Floyd Holler.

As far as team success, it will depend on a lot of variables. They will have state of the art facilities and equipment. With the right coach they can make a run. Not saying they will, because I have no idea who they will hire. It could be Nick Saban, or it could be Coach Daddy. Even then, the school will need some luck and a lot of hard work.

The premise behind Allen Central and South Floyd failures was the success of Prestonsburg.
It's still a small school with no tradition coming from the feeder schools. Have the junior high programs been really good lately? Belfry, from what I've heard, is boosted by its location on the West Virginia border, but the Floyd school isn't located in a spot to draw players from other areas.
Prestonsburg had some nice teams in the past but it doesn't seem like they are drawing a lot of great players from South Floyd or Allen Central lately.
I'm curious how far lights years is in Floyd? Harlan and Perry kids come from about 30 miles away on the ends of those counties.
I'm just going to throw this out there: I'm in no way saying Floyd Central can or will compete or beat Belfry at anytime. I'm just saying if they can replace Prestonsburg as the top football school in Floyd County they may have the chance with the right support system in place.