Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Head Coach South Laurel: Jon Walker
Jon Walker, 29 years old, spent several years as Assistant Coach for the Hazard Boys Basketball team.
Coach Walker was introduced to the team yesterday at South Laurel High School. I spoke with several people after the meeting and everyone seems to be excited to have Coach Walker taking over the program!

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/ba...e05e4.html
Congrats Jon !!!
Good hire for SL
Yes, I do believe this is a outstanding hire for South Laurel. Everyone at South Laurel seems to be happy with the hire. The media got to see a copy of South Laurel's schedule for this upcoming season and it's a rough schedule, Walker will be tested in his first season.
They had the best athletes in the district last year. Most of it is returning. Cards and Whitley should battle for the district.
To be fair, everyone was happy with the last coach til the season got started.
HD28 Wrote:To be fair, everyone was happy with the last coach til the season got started.
The results were much better than in the past few years. Wins make people happy unless the right people don't play.
HD28 Wrote:To be fair, everyone was happy with the last coach til the season got started.

Untrue. There were many red flags before season ever kicked off.

UKisN1 Wrote:The results were much better than in the past few years. Wins make people happy unless the right people don't play.

If by "right" people, you mean best players, then you are correct: the "right" people didn't play. So even though the win record was better, still not where it could have been. Neither of which has a thing to do with the real reason the previous coach was dismissed.
Well if there were red flags, folks were silent about them. Most I talked to were ecstatic to get a coach with a regional championship on his resume without giving him a teaching job.

As far as the "best" players not playing; that's ridiculous. Sounds like sour grapes.
Hope this coach want be brought in for practicing too hard and setting rules and following them. Good luck Coach Walker.
Id say South Laurel will win state this year.
UKisN1 Wrote:Hope this coach want be brought in for practicing too hard and setting rules and following them. Good luck Coach Walker.

I was around South Laurel last season as a member of the media outlet and let me tell you, any coach that had the off the court issues that went on last season would have been fired. Unless you were around you don't know what all went on. It was a mess last season, plus the team had a losing record. So, with all the mess and the record South Laurel had every right to get rid of the coach. Everyone's problems with the last coach was about much more than coaching basketball. (I won't go into details) and understand I have no ties to anyone at South Laurel.
With that being said, South Laurel went out and got a great young coach with coach walker. From everything I have heard (which I'm not with the same media outlet as before) South Laurel went hard after coach walker.
South got a good young coach but a better person. South is on the right track to have a really good next few years.
CA3 Wrote:I was around South Laurel last season as a member of the media outlet and let me tell you, any coach that had the off the court issues that went on last season would have been fired. Unless you were around you don't know what all went on. It was a mess last season, plus the team had a losing record. So, with all the mess and the record South Laurel had every right to get rid of the coach. Everyone's problems with the last coach was about much more than coaching basketball. (I won't go into details) and understand I have no ties to anyone at South Laurel.
With that being said, South Laurel went out and got a great young coach with coach walker. From everything I have heard (which I'm not with the same media outlet as before) South Laurel went hard after coach walker.

Guess we' will just take your word for it.. You don't seem to have an axe to gring...:eyeroll:
Will he use the same tailor? Last guy was a clothes horse.
The tailor was let go also. ha
HD28 Wrote:Well if there were red flags, folks were silent about them. Most I talked to were ecstatic to get a coach with a regional championship on his resume without giving him a teaching job.

As far as the "best" players not playing; that's ridiculous. Sounds like sour grapes.

I don't think Walker has a regional championship as a coach.
Jackson Wrote:I don't think Walker has a regional championship as a coach.
I think they was talking about previous coach