Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Co. Schools CLOSED January 17!!
1-17-07.....
Hope this goes for Floyd as well.
Is it raining or something in the county lol?
NO... but out by my house there have been like 2 or 3 accidents already.... the roads are a solid sheet of ice!!

LMAO..... Smile
well tell them to quit drinking and driving.....im sick of thislol u guys get out for literally everything
Floyd County is the one that gets out for everything.

Pike County is not. Pike County has had snow all day, the roads are bad, and the snow is literally POURING down in some places.

To be honest..... we "banked" 12 days EXTRA last year for weather purposes and only used six of them... By banking... I mean we worked extra time EVERY DAY...... We lost the 6 days we didn't use and didn't get paid for them either... I'm glad we're using them!!! LOLOL......

AND... I work in a small little isolated part of the county and we have 3 teachers that live in P'ville... I bet they are tickled to death they don't have to get out early in the morning on these roads!!!
blah blah blah lol joking but yea why does the city never get out?
Have no clue???? but........ my advice would be to transfer to public school.... teeehhee.......
phs1986 Wrote:Have no clue???? but........ my advice would be to transfer to public school.... teeehhee.......

Good one :thumpsup: .
phs1986 Wrote:Have no clue???? but........ my advice would be to transfer to public school.... teeehhee.......

Pikeville is a public school..
Panther Thunder Wrote:Pikeville is a public school..

No its not. Its a independent school.
warriorpride Wrote:No its not. Its a independent school.

That doesnt mean its a private school.....
The city never gets out because it's an independent school. The City of Pikeville gets their crew out to clear the roads because people have to go to work no matter the conditions so it's not very hard to get MOST students to Pike Independent.

PHS, I know what you are saying about conditions. Pike Co. has some baaaad spots during the winter. I know of about 10 near my house alone. I also hate the banking days and not using them. When I was in high school I begged for snow days because we earned them. My mom hates working the time and not getting paid when the snow days aren't used as well.

thetribe Wrote:The city never gets out because it's an independent school. The City of Pikeville gets their crew out to clear the roads because people have to go to work no matter the conditions so it's not very hard to get MOST students to Pike Independent.

PHS, I know what you are saying about conditions. Pike Co. has some baaaad spots during the winter. I know of about 10 near my house alone. I also hate the banking days and not using them. When I was in high school I begged for snow days because we earned them. My mom hates working the time and not getting paid when the snow days aren't used as well.

No joking..... we actually have 1 bus driver who leaves his house around 4 or so and leaves the school on his bus before 6 a.m. just to get up the hollow he has to go to...... It seems that the sun NEVER shines there!!! IMO.... it's too cold and way too dangerous to get a bunch of kids hurt in a bus accident... Good call by the "powers that be" on this one.... and tribe..... tell your momma I can feel her pain!!!! :HitWall:
I don't doubt your bus driver story at all. There are places here that I don't think has saw the light of day, ever. I had to ride a different bus one day in order to get to my grandma's house and I saw parts that I had never experienced before. The bus could barely make it and turn with warm weather, I'd hate to see it do it on ice with 3 inches of snow on the ground.

The snow plows are really weird as well. There are two mountains between Pikeville and my home. East Ridge sits atop one of them and the other starts as soon as you are off Ferrell's Creek Mountain there. Well, the snow plow will run to the top of the 2nd mountain but only in the up lane, the down lane going towards my house is screwed. It's really weird. The hollows doesn't get scraped until up into the day, IF they get it at all.

It is a good call, I agree. It personally doesn't effect me but it would be dangerous. Buses had trouble the other day when they let out in the morning because the snow was coming down quick.

I will tell my mom that you are right there with her, lol. I take it that you work at Phelps High School?

I will tell my mom that you are right there with her, lol. I take it that you work at Phelps High School?

Right place wrong school!!! LOL....
I gathered Phelps when you were talking about rural part of the county, rough drive. I played basketball of there many of times. It's not the easiest place to get to in broad day light in perfect weather, I would hate to drive it with ice on the ground.