Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active schools that have never been to the Boys Sweet 16
Keep in mind.... only use ACTIVE KHSAA schools that have not been to the Boys Sweet 16. Meaning, if a team competes in District play and they are placed for competition in one of the 16 regions.... they are considered active.

14th Region: Jenkins, Riverside Christian, Owsley County, Estill County, Jackson City, Letcher County Central & Wolfe County

15th Region: Magoffin County, Pike County Central & The Piarist School.

16th Region: West Carter, Menifee County, Raceland & Lewis County.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
13th Region: (Please Correct if wrongSmile

49th- Jackson Co., OBI, Red Bird
50th- Whitley Co.
51st- Pineville, Lynn Camp, Barbourville
52nd- Harlan Co.
That's a neat fact. Would've thought Owsley or Magoffin made at least once.
9th region back to 1939 - Beechwood, Ludlow, Heritage Academy, Covington Latin, Villa Madonna, Lloyd Memorial, Cooper. Silver Grove was also a 9th region team for many years and never made it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
West Carter should be the favorites going into next year along with Elliott co in the 16th. May be the year West makes it to Rupp.
With the 2017 Regional tournaments on tap.... does any team break the streak this year?
Pike County Central and The Piarist school didn't make it to the 15th Region tournament, so their streak continues.

Magoffin County did make the 15th region tournament, so they have a shot to break their streak.
Fattestpat Wrote:That's a neat fact. Would've thought Owsley or Magoffin made at least once.

Owsley was region runner-up in 1983 and 1985. 1982-Lost in 2 o.t. to MC Napier in the regional semi-finals. 1988 and 1989-Lost to Buckhorn in semi-finals. 1990, 1991, 1992, 1999, and 2000 had a legitimate shot to win region.

Wolfe lost in the semi-finals in 1986 and 1987 to some really good Hazard teams. Regional runner-up to Hazard in 2001.
West Cater has a shot as a first timer also Cooper out of the 9th Region has a shot . Lexington Christain Harlan County and Southwestern. One if not 2 of these teams will make it to the sweet 16 in a couple of weeks.
hoghead Wrote:West Cater has a shot as a first timer also Cooper out of the 9th Region has a shot . Lexington Christain Harlan County and Southwestern. One if not 2 of these teams will make it to the sweet 16 in a couple of weeks.

Southwestern has been, Steve Wright took them to the final four just a few years ago.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Owsley was region runner-up in 1983 and 1985. 1982-Lost in 2 o.t. to MC Napier in the regional semi-finals. 1988 and 1989-Lost to Buckhorn in semi-finals. 1990, 1991, 1992, 1999, and 2000 had a legitimate shot to win region.

Wolfe lost in the semi-finals in 1986 and 1987 to some really good Hazard teams. Regional runner-up to Hazard in 2001.

I remember those 86-87 Wolfe and Hazard teams, Hazard lost to PRP in final four in 86 of State Tournament, Wolfe lost the next year in OT to Hazard and both were top 20 teams in the State. Wolfe had a couple of guards that played in college, Bird played at Clinch Valley and Johnson played at Cornell. The 14th region was strong in the 80s (MC Napier went to the final four of State Tournament too I think in early 80's)

Wolfe has never been to State but I think they have a shot this year, in a very very balanced regional tournament.
This would be Magoffin's best shot at breaking that streak, but it'll be tough as always to beat Central.