Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County vs Louisville Doss (3/17)
Just to make a point of what I am talking about, look at how this thread about the upcoming game quickly turned into just how many past teams are way better than this LC team and LC pretty much had a good season just because all the other teams were down.
There was no doubt Lawrence Co was the best team in the 15th Region 2015-16. Wire to wire the proved it on the court. I agree the Region was down overall this year. I don't think that takes away from the LC team at all though. Their starting 5 can score with anybody in KY this year. It's pretty rare you have 4 1,000+pt scorers and a 2,000 pt scorer in your starting 5. All 5 were in double digits in the championship game. I thought their rebounding vs JC was what won it though.
LC is number 1 in KY scoring. Doss is #4. That makes for an exciting 1st round matchup. LC had a good bracket draw. It's been exciting to see the county unite. The HS basketball team has been 1st class with the younger kids. The Superintendant gets it. Wed the whole team took the trophy to every single school in LC to make every kid a part of it. Coach York spoke to the younger kids about setting goals and chasing dreams. With all the job cuts around here it sure is a feel good Cinderella story in the making.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Just to make a point of what I am talking about, look at how this thread about the upcoming game quickly turned into just how many past teams are way better than this LC team and LC pretty much had a good season just because all the other teams were down.

When someone makes a statement that they are good as those teams of course others will talk and compare? Like I said go back and look at my posts I was wanting Lawrence to win the regional cause I feel they are the only team with the chance to make a run at state. I have had nothing to say bad about this team other then their not as good as those teams cause their not as deep, and they haven't been recruited no where near as heavy as those other teams were from D1 or even D2 or D3 teams. Idk why most of the Lawrence County fans are so defensive. Someone brought this topic up so of course it's gonna get talked about. Not just that but alot of complaining. For example at one point Lawrence County fans were claiming the Refs were trying to give Magoffin the game when the foul count at one point was 10-2. Couple instances were some fans were begging for a walk when a JC player was inbounding the ball? Just crazy stuff. But like I said I love watching this team play and I honestly think they can beat Doss and possibly go even further if they stay out of foul trouble. I'll be there cheering them on the whole way. Just wish a lot of fans wasn't so but hurt all the time. That's what makes a lot of people not like this team as the case for a couple other teams.
Last thing I'll say about it. I wasn't the person who compared them to some of the best 15th Region teams in history. I just voiced my opinion after that. It was also my opinion that the 15th was bad this year aside from Lawrence County. I never bashed any players. The players are fine. The fans are just very difficult to discuss anything with. Good luck to Lawrence County. Hope you represent the 15th on and off the court with class.
Lawrence will surprise a lot of people
GO DAWGS!!!! Don't no nothing about either team but I'm partial to the mountains!! Louisa is a great sports community Dawgs will be ready!!
checkmate9113 Wrote:The 1996 Ashland JV team would beat this LC team by at least 25. The Paintsville team that won it all would dominate them by at least 40. No answer for Vanhoose. Not taking anything away from LC this season but that comparison is a little off don't ya think?

No they would not, and no they would not. You really just said an Ashland jv (96 team) team would beat this Lawrence Co team by 25. Come on now. I don't know why the comparison even gets made to this LC team being as good as other last teams from the 15th. All I know is I have been watching high school basketball for over 30 years now and this Lawrence county is as fun to watch as any of the past great teams. I agree the Paintsville teams of the 90's were great and Shelby Valley teams also. But shouldn't we all be rooting a little more for teams like Lawrence to do well at Rupp? I rooted for Johnson Central and Elliott Co the last few years and I will root for Buckhorn, Lawrence and Elliott county again this year. Mountain basketball teams never get the credit they deserve and are almost always overlooked. Lets all get behind these teams since our teams are out of tournament play and root them on. Rant over and good luck to our mountain teams.
Fighter09 Wrote:No they would not, and no they would not. You really just said an Ashland jv (96 team) team would beat this Lawrence Co team by 25. Come on now. I don't know why the comparison even gets made to this LC team being as good as other last teams from the 15th. All I know is I have been watching high school basketball for over 30 years now and this Lawrence county is as fun to watch as any of the past great teams. I agree the Paintsville teams of the 90's were great and Shelby Valley teams also. But shouldn't we all be rooting a little more for teams like Lawrence to do well at Rupp? I rooted for Johnson Central and Elliott Co the last few years and I will root for Buckhorn, Lawrence and Elliott county again this year. Mountain basketball teams never get the credit they deserve and are almost always overlooked. Lets all get behind these teams since our teams are out of tournament play and root them on. Rant over and good luck to our mountain teams.

What it is, and the frustrating thing is, that if it were JC, Paintsville, Shelby Valley, Boyd County, Ashland, and so on, the LC faithful would be giving out the support and credit and hoping for them to do well. Instead, now that it's LC, we are seeing people talk about recruiting, bad attitudes, no bench, and so on. Very frustrating....:ChairHit:
Motley Wrote:Last thing I'll say about it. I wasn't the person who compared them to some of the best 15th Region teams in history. I just voiced my opinion after that. It was also my opinion that the 15th was bad this year aside from Lawrence County. I never bashed any players. The players are fine. The fans are just very difficult to discuss anything with. Good luck to Lawrence County. Hope you represent the 15th on and off the court with class.

Perhaps because when LC wins a region in anything, the first thing brought up is:

1. well talent is down
2. Team X's (team LC beat) coach choked or stunk....
3. Well LC has a good team, but they wouldn't beat Team Y from 1946....

The level of frustration is growing because since 2006, LC has made this region better. If you don't believe that, then you are blind. Yet the talk up and down the river is always about "go back to the 16th". Why? So you guys can continue the cake walks you want in some districts?
Doss by as many as they want.
As big of a Johnson Central fan as I am..... I am happy for the players, coaches, students & fans for LC.

For a school that has never being to the Sweet 16, they deserve it.

When JC went to the 4A state football finals this year, I know people who hadn't been to a football game in 20+ years that made the trip to Wayne County and WKU. I can only imagine the amount of former players and LC alum that will be in Rupp Arena on Thursday.
JC's Boys have been to the Sweet 16 six times in my life..... once as a student (2000) and five times since I graduated (2006, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015) but it never gets old hearing the starting lineup for YOUR school announced over Big Bertha's speakers. Lawrence County fans, make the most of this trip. Wear your Red & Black, get there early, pack your fan sections and scream as loud as you can. No matter if you get blown out by 30+ points in the 1st round or cut down the nets on Sunday evening..... nobody can ever take the 2016 15th Region championship experience from you guys.

The last one out Louisa needs to turn the lights off............
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Fighter09 Wrote:No they would not, and no they would not. You really just said an Ashland jv (96 team) team would beat this Lawrence Co team by 25. Come on now. I don't know why the comparison even gets made to this LC team being as good as other last teams from the 15th. All I know is I have been watching high school basketball for over 30 years now and this Lawrence county is as fun to watch as any of the past great teams. I agree the Paintsville teams of the 90's were great and Shelby Valley teams also. But shouldn't we all be rooting a little more for teams like Lawrence to do well at Rupp? I rooted for Johnson Central and Elliott Co the last few years and I will root for Buckhorn, Lawrence and Elliott county again this year. Mountain basketball teams never get the credit they deserve and are almost always overlooked. Lets all get behind these teams since our teams are out of tournament play and root them on. Rant over and good luck to our mountain teams.

Craig Ratliff and J.R. Vanhoose would win this game alone, then the supporting cast would finish it off. You're saying that all of LC players are just as good as Dustin Stakley, Luke Coffey, Scott Johnson? No way, regardless I could care less how good LC does. Getting blown out in the first round is coming but I really don't care if they win or lose. My team isn't there so I support our local team. Go Newcath.
My team isn't there so I support our local team. Go Newcath.[/QUOTE]

Talking a lot of yap when your "local team" did this against LC:

Dec 26, 15 Newport Central Catholic at Lexington Catholic (W) 84 - 76 Click

Hope they meet again, so you can give some more expert analysis.
For the record, most observers of eastern KY basketball (LC fans included) revere the Paintsville and Shelby Valley championship teams. But it is pointless to compare LC 2016 to them. It's also graceless to contrast this LC team to anyone else. Let the kids enjoy their season. Let the coaches savor the team they have now. Chances are they've worked harder for this than most of us did for anything at that age.
They aren't the '85 Lakers or old Celtics or current Warriors, they didn't beat Paintsville '96 or SV '10 to get to Rupp, but they didn't have to. They only had to beat who was in front of them.
As to a blowout in the offing, I'd expect you're arguing that from a distaste for their fans, not evidence. Data suggests a tough, but reasonably winnable matchup.
dbcooper Wrote:My team isn't there so I support our local team. Go Newcath.

Talking a lot of yap when your "local team" did this against LC:

Dec 26, 15 Newport Central Catholic at Lexington Catholic (W) 84 - 76 Click

Hope they meet again, so you can give some more expert analysis.
For the record, most observers of eastern KY basketball (LC fans included) revere the Paintsville and Shelby Valley championship teams. But it is pointless to compare LC 2016 to them. It's also graceless to contrast this LC team to anyone else. Let the kids enjoy their season. Let the coaches savor the team they have now. Chances are they've worked harder for this than most of us did for anything at that age.
They aren't the '85 Lakers or old Celtics or current Warriors, they didn't beat Paintsville '96 or SV '10 to get to Rupp, but they didn't have to. They only had to beat who was in front of them.
As to a blowout in the offing, I'd expect you're arguing that from a distaste for their fans, not evidence. Data suggests a tough, but reasonably winnable matchup.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused now, what about my local team and something about LC winning against New Cath. I mean since we are comparing Montgomery County beat LC. MC didn't even make region finals. I said once I could care less about LC and how they do, I'm there to support family and our local school.
dbcooper Wrote:For the record, most observers of eastern KY basketball (LC fans included) revere the Paintsville and Shelby Valley championship teams. But it is pointless to compare LC 2016 to them. It's also graceless to contrast this LC team to anyone else..

Just wanted to point out that the Lawrence County faithful are the ones who started that debate. Can't expect to say that without it getting some attention.
Actually, in other threads other posters began immediately belittling LC's achievement with "the 15th is way down" talk. Then catwoman hit his head on the way to the keyboard and said they were as good as Paintsville 96 or SV '10.
Having watched/followed HS hoops closely from Pikeville to Piner and Catlettsburg to Carlisle County, I can add a reasonable LC fan's perspective - and one that most would fall in line with, too.
This team lacks size. It is their key bugaboo. Teams with length who commit to the post and crash the glass are likely to pose a significant challenge to them. Teams that can pair that with an effective perimeter shooting performance will probably beat them.
There was also reason to be skeptical of LC's defensive play during a lot of the regular season.
During most of the postseason, however, LC has upped their defensive commitment and has played at a higher level. So, I think that issue has subsided a bit.
Another thing that isn't quite accurate in most assessments of LC is that they haven't played enough at the Sweet 16 level to be ready for it. This team is pretty battle-tested. They did 13 games in 15 days over Christmas and beat a top 10 team on a neutral floor, a good Perry Central team and have gone 13-4 out of region.
All in all, it looks to be a fun tournament and there's a chance that these kids could make noise. If they lose, they've still had a historic season. If they make a good run, it'll be the stuff of legend. Should be fun to see.
Doss 62 Lawrence 54
I do not think LC understands what they have gotten themselves in to. This Doss team will be the most athletic long team they have played against to date. These kids play above the rim and can run. It is a great accomplishment for all of these teams to make it, but..... Doss by 15-20
South Laurel fans will be cheering for Lawrence County tomorrow. :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
coach4life Wrote:I do not think LC understands what they have gotten themselves in to. This Doss team will be the most athletic long team they have played against to date. These kids play above the rim and can run. It is a great accomplishment for all of these teams to make it, but..... Doss by 15-20
I'm pretty sure LC understands what they have gotten themselves into. It's called the sweet 16 AKA the state championship. Which means that 15 other teams beside themselves are very good or they wouldn't be there. And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't trade what they have gotten into for love or money. Good Luck to my Dawg Family I'm so proud of this team.
You guys have accomplished something that all of us old Dawgs have only dreamed about. So enjoy every moment of this tournament:worthy:
WSIP 98.9 in Paintsville will broadcast this game @ noon.

So you won't have to use a Stream and be on a delay.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed