Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Belfry Basketball ever get back to where it once was
Your thoughts please!!!!!
I think the coach is a fine person but I believe he isn't a good fit for the program. Randy Casey did a lot for Belfry basketball, regardless of how it ended.
K40 Wrote:I think the coach is a fine person but I believe he isn't a good fit for the program. Randy Casey did a lot for Belfry basketball, regardless of how it ended.

Well the worst season under Coach Casey they won 18 games it depends on what they do this year but it don't look any better but we won't win 18 games in three years now it's hard to watch.
No.

Has nothing to do with Mark Thompson and everything to do with the school, administration, and community not supporting basketball.

I'm not talking about showing up at games and standing for the fight song when it plays. I am talking putting your money where your mouth is. The parents I know that have their kids in little league say it is awful with no practice time for teams other than 1-2.

Thompson doesn't have an assistant one with any experience at anything other than hanging out as far as I know. Will they ever hire help?

Thompson is the least of the problems, the talent on that roster is not very good outside 2-3 kids and two of those are transfers I think.

If you fire Thompson who are they going to hire? Who would do better? Kevin Deskins? Michael Hager? You're getting one of those two, so be careful what you wish for.

Belfry and Prestonsburg are very similar.
I think Thompson has Cameron Smith, he played and has been an assistant for several years from my understanding.

I get the situation and see what you're saying.

Would they hire Bobby Varney? Isn't he coaching BMS now?
K40 Wrote:I think Thompson has Cameron Smith, he played and has been an assistant for several years from my understanding.

I get the situation and see what you're saying.

Would they hire Bobby Varney? Isn't he coaching BMS now?

If he is the young one then he was on the bench for Phelps or ER last year.

Bobby Varney will never be the coach at Belfry, take that to the bank.
Yes, that's the one. He was Bobby's assistant at Phelps.

I'm not familiar enough to make speculations about who would or wouldn't be hired -- seems like you know way more than I do! I'll take your word for it.
They have a basketball team at Belfry?
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:They have a basketball team at Belfry?

Yep, we've got uniforms and everything, it's really great!
When were they ever good?
Coach Thompson does a good job , support your team .
basketball101 Wrote:Coach Thompson does a good job , support your team .

That's the problem, people refuse to support the team. It's a domino effect. Maybe if the parents showed a little more faith in Coach Thompson, the kids would play harder for him.
Rumor has it that pikecentral coach is trying to get the job at belfry, has anyone else heard this.
Lleyton21 Wrote:When were they ever good?

JJ Hylton era! They werent good they were freaking awesome. But they have been competitive since, 2009-11 werent bad but those years belonged to Shelby Valley and a lot of normally good regional teams just didnt look to good. But thave stunk the lst 3 years. But true its not Marks fault. He isnt a great coach, but in my oppinion theres not one left in the 15th. All the great ones retired or were run off and instead of schools cultivating great young coaches they have outsourced and taken some other regions garbage or given the jobs to the next in line just cause they were next in line or worse let politics hire the coach and the teams have paid the price and the good teams from the 15th get spanked by mediocre teams from other regions. But Mark is right there in the same league with his peers.
Seems like with the football athletes they could find 5 they could put on the floor
Well guys Justice is looking for a new job and he does have family in Belfry we just couldn't get that lucky
region Wrote:No.

Has nothing to do with Mark Thompson and everything to do with the school, administration, and community not supporting basketball.

I'm not talking about showing up at games and standing for the fight song when it plays. I am talking putting your money where your mouth is. The parents I know that have their kids in little league say it is awful with no practice time for teams other than 1-2.

Thompson doesn't have an assistant one with any experience at anything other than hanging out as far as I know. Will they ever hire help?

Thompson is the least of the problems, the talent on that roster is not very good outside 2-3 kids and two of those are transfers I think.

If you fire Thompson who are they going to hire? Who would do better? Kevin Deskins? Michael Hager? You're getting one of those two, so be careful what you wish for.

Belfry and Prestonsburg are very similar.
Your smoking crack Thompson is like a ball in high weeds lost all he does is scream and act like a idiot and there are kids walking the halls good basketball players not playing because of him we need to get someone from away from Belfry to bring our basketball back Thompsom if you read this don't embarrass yourself anymore it's past time for a change:beg::beg::beg::beg:
Back in the day when the district consisted of Belfry, Phelps, Feds Creek, and Elkorn City Belfry dominated that district. Belfry eaither won the district or was runner up for 10 or 12 years in row. Early 80s they had the team that the Bass kid played on then the Helton era.
Belfrys basketball wows is a direct result of how great their football team is. Those kids focus so much on football from 4th or 5th grade on up that it does not allow time to develop as basketball players. But its great for the football program.
dawg fan Wrote:Back in the day when the district consisted of Belfry, Phelps, Feds Creek, and Elkorn City Belfry dominated that district. Belfry eaither won the district or was runner up for 10 or 12 years in row. Early 80s they had the team that the Bass kid played on then the Helton era.
Belfrys basketball wows is a direct result of how great their football team is. Those kids focus so much on football from 4th or 5th grade on up that it does not allow time to develop as basketball players. But its great for the football program.

I agree with you to a point but the coaching is just not there ether some people are made to be a head coach and some are not and I've heard Thompson say he wasn't a good head coach so it's time for us to get better I think.
Coach Haywood has built the football program up to where it is impossible to build a program up to the 90's again. After he retires a couple of years, then I can see the team getting back to being competative in the region.