Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler 70 Magoffin Co. 59
Butler led the entire way, the JV played most of the 4th quarter. Was told Magoffin looked terrible on D tonight. Butler is a very, very good team so this was a great showing for the mountains.
didnt help that after the Johnson Central game they had to go back to Salyersville get there stuff then got to Louisville arrive at 1 am then play at noon the next day They where worn out midway in the 2nd quarter stupid to schedule a road trip next day after a district game
eaglehoops Wrote:Butler led the entire way, the JV played most of the 4th quarter. Was told Magoffin looked terrible on D tonight. Butler is a very, very good team so this was a great showing for the mountains.
You are wrong Butlers two best players Gibbs and Hopper played the entire 4th quarter, the Lady Hornets looked terrible on both sides of the ball as they did against Johnson Central. They were obviously warn because of all the games and all the travling they have been doing lately. You can't play bad and turn the ball over against a good team like that and expect to win. They had numerous oppurtunities in the third quarter to get the score down to 3 or 4 but di not convert and Butler took advantage of it.
The truth of the matter is that the Lady Hornets have played Central on Friday night and then played Saturday afternoon for the last 3 seasons-Last year and the year beforw they played two of their best games of the season, soundly defeating Boyd County.
Yea I do not agree with this kind of decision. If you are going to play a good team like this make sure your players are well rested. Not the night after a hard fought game. Especially it being a district game and all.
magic man Wrote:The truth of the matter is that the Lady Hornets have played Central on Friday night and then played Saturday afternoon for the last 3seasons-Last year and the year beforw they played two of their best games of the season, soundly defeating Boyd County.
they lost to a better team if they was rested who knows but they where tired trust me traveling to Florida playing 4 games then travel back home 4 days later play a very very tough game then travel that night to Lou. play the next morning heck they were tired against Central couple told me after the game they were exhausted when your tired you tend to slack on defense your shots are flat (Brittney ) no excuses but that is alot of traveling for any body especially on a bus the louisville game shoulda never been scheduled but its JMO
I have some concern right now with the Lady Hornets.. Defensively they are just simply not playing very well. They take 0 cuts (they are always trailing) and they do not block out. Thankfully, they are great on the ball defenders. When they want to deny someone a pass or deny penetration, they are as good as it gets.

Offensively, they are just simply not getting everyone involved. The big girl (Adams, I think...) could be the difference maker down the stretch, however she is getting no touches. It appears they are getting out of their offense to quick and it is turnging into nothing but penetrate and kick (which is perfectly fine if they are hitting their perimeter shots). I also think they need to be getting the Howard girl (#15) the ball on the post about 6-8 more times a game. I really like the Hall girl also. She has a knack for making big plays at big times.

The two small guards are as talented as I have seen in some time. They both have the ability to take over the game at any one time. But you can see teams are keying on them more and sagging defenders over to cut off penetration lanes. If i were these two girls, I would make it my goal to have 5 more assists per game a piece to the girls in the frontcourt. If this were to happen, not only would Magoffin County be unbeatable, the college coaches would be drooling in the stands.
MCDADDY Wrote:I have some concern right now with the Lady Hornets.. Defensively they are just simply not playing very well. They take 0 cuts (they are always trailing) and they do not block out. Thankfully, they are great on the ball defenders. When they want to deny someone a pass or deny penetration, they are as good as it gets.

Offensively, they are just simply not getting everyone involved. The big girl (Adams, I think...) could be the difference maker down the stretch, however she is getting no touches. It appears they are getting out of their offense to quick and it is turnging into nothing but penetrate and kick (which is perfectly fine if they are hitting their perimeter shots). I also think they need to be getting the Howard girl (#15) the ball on the post about 6-8 more times a game. I really like the Hall girl also. She has a knack for making big plays at big times.

The two small guards are as talented as I have seen in some time. They both have the ability to take over the game at any one time. But you can see teams are keying on them more and sagging defenders over to cut off penetration lanes. If i were these two girls, I would make it my goal to have 5 more assists per game a piece to the girls in the frontcourt. If this were to happen, not only would Magoffin County be unbeatable, the college coaches would be drooling in the stands.
Great post!
MCDADDY Wrote:I have some concern right now with the Lady Hornets.. Defensively they are just simply not playing very well. They take 0 cuts (they are always trailing) and they do not block out. Thankfully, they are great on the ball defenders. When they want to deny someone a pass or deny penetration, they are as good as it gets.

Nice post I totally agree

I agree with you about the Adams girl. She has improved so much since last year and can do some damage on the block as well as #15.
imo i think the scheduling really isnt that bad...yeah they had to travel alot but that is exactly how it will be come tourny time...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:imo i think the scheduling really isnt that bad...yeah they had to travel alot but that is exactly how it will be come tourny time...
its a lot closer to Paintsville ,Pikeville than Daytona Beach from Salyersville
Congrats Butler!

The Adams girl needs to be more agressive on establishing herself in the post and creating good post position for the other players to get her the ball. It does no good for the Center to catch the ball 12 to 15 feet from the goal. Also if you watched the game Friday night; you would see that she was out of position on defense several times. She needs to stick her player and not be switching off to a players that can take her off the dribble.

#15 has the green light whenever she gets the ball to do as she pleases. However she unlike a lot of us has enough basketball knowledge to realize when she should shoot it or pass it. If you want her to shoot the ball talk to her.

In all I could set here and type a book on it. But instead I will say this. I have been around the Girls Program since it was re-started. Just because the Girls went to Louisville and lost to a very good team after they played the night before; dosen't mean that the wheels are comming off. It just simply means they lost a game. You guys don't rember the days when we would go 5, 6and 7 games trying to pick up a win.

Also before you question the scheduling; lets see you try to put together a schedule for a whole year. After you have won the Region and are returning most of your players. They had a hard time getting non-district teams to schedule them. Also if you just play cup cakes and dont play good teams how in the world are you going to improve?

The Girls are fine.
The Fan Wrote:its a lot closer to Paintsville ,Pikeville than Daytona Beach from Salyersville

i was refering to this past game traveling from MC to Louisville...which is a big diffrence but i mean it will get them use to playing late at night getting back at around 11 or so wakeing up going to class in the morning and turning around and possibly having a game the next day...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:i was refering to this past game traveling from MC to Louisville...which is a big diffrence but i mean it will get them use to playing late at night getting back at around 11 or so wakeing up going to class in the morning and turning around and possibly having a game the next day...

That is a very good point!
Tricky Wrote:The Adams girl needs to be more agressive on establishing herself in the post and creating good post position for the other players to get her the ball. It does no good for the Center to catch the ball 12 to 15 feet from the goal. Also if you watched the game Friday night; you would see that she was out of position on defense several times. She needs to stick her player and not be switching off to a players that can take her off the dribble.

#15 has the green light whenever she gets the ball to do as she pleases. However she unlike a lot of us has enough basketball knowledge to realize when she should shoot it or pass it. If you want her to shoot the ball talk to her.

In all I could set here and type a book on it. But instead I will say this. I have been around the Girls Program since it was re-started. Just because the Girls went to Louisville and lost to a very good team after they played the night before; dosen't mean that the wheels are comming off. It just simply means they lost a game. You guys don't rember the days when we would go 5, 6and 7 games trying to pick up a win.

Also before you question the scheduling; lets see you try to put together a schedule for a whole year. After you have won the Region and are returning most of your players. They had a hard time getting non-district teams to schedule them. Also if you just play cup cakes and dont play good teams how in the world are you going to improve?

The Girls are fine.
couldnt have said it better i to have been there since the inception of the program when they where flying to get into double figures for the game let alone win, nothing wrong whatsoever they played avery good team and they where tired
Tricky Wrote:The Adams girl needs to be more agressive on establishing herself in the post and creating good post position for the other players to get her the ball. It does no good for the Center to catch the ball 12 to 15 feet from the goal. Also if you watched the game Friday night; you would see that she was out of position on defense several times. She needs to stick her player and not be switching off to a players that can take her off the dribble.

The Girls are fine.

You appear to be very defensive in your post. First of all, I am in no way questioning the Coaching or the effort of these girls. I am merely making an analyzation of what I have seen throughout this year as teams try to find a way to combat the team everyone is trying to beat. I also am in no way trying to say that someone needs the "red" or "green" light to shoot the ball. All I said was I would like to see the team utilize her on the post more. Shooting decisions can be made by the two or three people that sit on the bench during the game. I assure you they are much more qualified to make those decisions than I am, since I am just a fan that wants to see these young ladies succeed. Win, Lose, or Draw you will here nothing but support from me for both these Ladies and Coaches. I thought I was doing that in my previous post. However, if I have offended a player, coach, or anyone that has been "affiliated" with the program then please allow this to serve as a re-traction and apology.

As for the scheduling, I am totally in favor of it. REGARDLESS of Distance!!!!!! To be the best you have to play the best. The Florida trip served in a dual role for these young ladies. Not only did they get to play some great competition, they also got to travel and gain some social and cultural diversity, which is the backbone of education!!
MCDADDY Wrote:You appear to be very defensive in your post. First of all, I am in no way questioning the Coaching or the effort of these girls. I am merely making an analyzation of what I have seen throughout this year as teams try to find a way to combat the team everyone is trying to beat. I also am in no way trying to say that someone needs the "red" or "green" light to shoot the ball. All I said was I would like to see the team utilize her on the post more. Shooting decisions can be made by the two or three people that sit on the bench during the game. I assure you they are much more qualified to make those decisions than I am, since I am just a fan that wants to see these young ladies succeed. Win, Lose, or Draw you will here nothing but support from me for both these Ladies and Coaches. I thought I was doing that in my previous post. However, if I have offended a player, coach, or anyone that has been "affiliated" with the program then please allow this to serve as a re-traction and apology.

As for the scheduling, I am totally in favor of it. REGARDLESS of Distance!!!!!! To be the best you have to play the best. The Florida trip served in a dual role for these young ladies. Not only did they get to play some great competition, they also got to travel and gain some social and cultural diversity, which is the backbone of education!!

No, apology needed. I was merely giving my take on things and was kinda answering things from other posts after I quoted you. Sorry, I should have answered in seperate posts. However in defense of Pup; how many coaches will you hear yelling at their players to please shoot the ball?
Tricky Wrote:No, apology needed. I was merely giving my take on things and was kinda answering things from other posts after I quoted you. Sorry, I should have answered in seperate posts. However in defense of Pup; how many coaches will you hear yelling at their players to please shoot the ball?

That is specifically why i asked you to re-read my original post. I in no way insinuated anything remotely close to the fact that the girls do not have the opportunity to shoot the ball. All I commented on was some things I think they are weak at right now and how I think they could improve it.
MCDADDY Wrote:That is specifically why i asked you to re-read my original post. I in no way insinuated anything remotely close to the fact that the girls do not have the opportunity to shoot the ball. All I commented on was some things I think they are weak at right now and how I think they could improve it.

Yes, you definately pointed out some things they need to improve on.
The interior players could help out a lot on defense by checking the cutters comming thru the lane and slowing them down.
The two big girls Powers and Adams need to be more agressive and quicker to the ball. They also tend to give up inside position too quickly allowing the other team to gather offensive rebounds.
All in all the Coach does a great job with the program, considering that he only has 2 part time coaches and that he has to do it all. I wouldn't have his job for what he is making. He is the Lowest Paid Major Sports Coach ( Baseball and Softball coaches make more than him) and he is the only coach in Magoffin history to win a Regional Title.

Go and figure the politics on that one!