Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooper 37 Highlands 13
sstack Wrote:Talent is down a lot! The Sr/Jr classes did not do well in Freshmen or JV seasons, all in Ft Thomas knew this and it was talked about a lot. It was parents of kids in these classes that tried to down play it and continued to state it did not matter what the did before that when they got to varsity it would be different. I agree the best players need to go both ways. I give the coach a break until more talent comes through the halls. this years team is what it is, some have just been spoiled by greater than a decade run of great football. This is not end of Highlands, just a down year or two.

Is this the reason they decided to open up the doors to out of district kids again? Thought they were overcrowded.
sstack Wrote:Talent is down a lot! The Sr/Jr classes did not do well in Freshmen or JV seasons, all in Ft Thomas knew this and it was talked about a lot. It was parents of kids in these classes that tried to down play it and continued to state it did not matter what the did before that when they got to varsity it would be different. I agree the best players need to go both ways. I give the coach a break until more talent comes through the halls. this years team is what it is, some have just been spoiled by greater than a decade run of great football. This is not end of Highlands, just a down year or two.

Do you know what you are talking about? No, obviously not. The Senior class did not do well in Frosh or JV seasons? Do you know what their record was as frosh and the one year that they played JV? I will let you tell me before I tell you how much you are full of you know what. Please post the records for each season and let me know who they lost to if you do not mind.
bo67 Wrote:Highlands will lose 5 of next 6 games

Man are you tired yet. You said this same garbage last year and then they won it and you were singing their praises. Man you are a bitter bitter man. Work on that next campaign and maybe you will make it on City Council next year.
sstack Wrote:Cooper has a nice team but they are acting like they are now ready to take on T for the title. The truth is this Highlands team is not good, they have a lot of problems. Last year the problems started to show but they had Hodge and good WR's to hide those holes, this year there is no Hodge. There are no above average skilled players, average at best. Hergott might have the physical tools, but he can't run this team, at least at this point in the season.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. First off no one, not one single person from Cooper has said or even referenced to being ready to take down Trinity. Don't know where that came from but apparently you don't follow or know anything about the program or the coaches and players of Cooper.

Now for those wondering how the game went, I will give you the game information.
Before I do that, there is a reason some in NKY didn't look at this as big of an upset as many across the state did and let me explain.
Cooper returned just about all of their starting offense and defensive starters from last years team that made it all the way to the State Semi Finals game after winning another Regional Championship. Cooper's best part of their team is their defense, so shutting down Highlands wasn't a big surprise considering after last years title game many Highlands fans were worried about their QB position once Hoge was gone.

Highlands couldn't run on the Jaguars at all in the game. The front 7 for Cooper dominated up front and stuffed the run. Hergott had issues with accuracy when he would try and go downfield. He was intercepted 3 times and when their 2nd string QB came in in the 4th was intercepted on his first pass attempt to make the tally 4 int's for Cooper in the game. Coopers defense was pretty impressive as they didn't give up an offensive TD to Highlands until the 3rd QTR. Highlands first score was on a punt return where Cooper only had 10 guys on the field.

Cooper's offense started the game off with a 72 yard TD pass to D Hendrix from their first time starting QB. Torrey Cordell-Armstrong who was returning as NKY's leading rusher from last year averaged 6.5 yards a carry as he had 184 yards rushing and 3 TD's.

Cooper dominated the entire game and although it was a surprise to most of the state, when you knew what both teams had it really wasn't a big surprise especially to anyone inside the Cooper community.

With that said, I will state again that no one and I mean no one has ever said anything about Trinity so you all can ignore this baffoon who claims Cooper is ready tot take them on for the title. It's a long season and the only team Cooper is concerned with is the next team on their schedule. Couldn't find a more humble group of players and coaches if you tried.

Highlands will be ok and I wish them and the Jags the best for the rest of the season.
HHellBird Wrote:You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. First off no one, not one single person from Cooper has said or even referenced to being ready to take down Trinity. Don't know where that came from but apparently you don't follow or know anything about the program or the coaches and players of Cooper.

Now for those wondering how the game went, I will give you the game information.
Before I do that, there is a reason some in NKY didn't look at this as big of an upset as many across the state did and let me explain.
Cooper returned just about all of their starting offense and defensive starters from last years team that made it all the way to the State Semi Finals game after winning another Regional Championship. Cooper's best part of their team is their defense, so shutting down Highlands wasn't a big surprise considering after last years title game many Highlands fans were worried about their QB position once Hoge was gone.

Highlands couldn't run on the Jaguars at all in the game. The front 7 for Cooper dominated up front and stuffed the run. Hergott had issues with accuracy when he would try and go downfield. He was intercepted 3 times and when their 2nd string QB came in in the 4th was intercepted on his first pass attempt to make the tally 4 int's for Cooper in the game. Coopers defense was pretty impressive as they didn't give up an offensive TD to Highlands until the 3rd QTR. Highlands first score was on a punt return where Cooper only had 10 guys on the field.

Cooper's offense started the game off with a 72 yard TD pass to D Hendrix from their first time starting QB. Torrey Cordell-Armstrong who was returning as NKY's leading rusher from last year averaged 6.5 yards a carry as he had 184 yards rushing and 3 TD's.

Cooper dominated the entire game and although it was a surprise to most of the state, when you knew what both teams had it really wasn't a big surprise especially to anyone inside the Cooper community.

With that said, I will state again that no one and I mean no one has ever said anything about Trinity so you all can ignore this baffoon who claims Cooper is ready tot take them on for the title. It's a long season and the only team Cooper is concerned with is the next team on their schedule. Couldn't find a more humble group of players and coaches if you tried.

Highlands will be ok and I wish them and the Jags the best for the rest of the season.

Bingo. Cooper's win was not a surprise to me and it wasn't because Highlands talent level is down a lot. It wasn't because Hergot is a terrible QB, or the O line is terrible or the D can't tackle. The Birds are simply very young and inexperienced. When you two platoon, that inexperience really shows in the early games playing against very experienced opponents.

Yes the Birds returned 3 starters on the O line. However, anyone that knows anything about O line play knows that when you add 2 new starters to the O line, it takes a while to for the O line to mesh. That had a lot to do with the problem the Birds had running the ball against Cooper. That and the fact that Cooper had a whole lot of very, very good defensive players returning.

I had my doubts about Hergot over the off season. Strangely enough, I actually now think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB. Yeah, he made some bad decisions Friday night. People forget that Hoge made some bad decisions last year in the first game against Campbell Co. And there is zero doubt that Cooper this year is much, much, much better than Campbell Co. was last year. Lest people forget, Campbell Co shut out the Birds in the second half last year (and no it wasn't because the Birds went conservative in the second half) and we were very fortunate to get out of there with a win.

Who knows, maybe this will be the year that CovCath gets us and we don't get to enjoy watching the Birds practice on Thanksgiving. Personally I think it's way too early to make any predictions about the Birds' season.
charlie22 Wrote:Bingo. Cooper's win was not a surprise to me and it wasn't because Highlands talent level is down a lot. It wasn't because Hergot is a terrible QB, or the O line is terrible or the D can't tackle. The Birds are simply very young and inexperienced. When you two platoon, that inexperience really shows in the early games playing against very experienced opponents.

Yes the Birds returned 3 starters on the O line. However, anyone that knows anything about O line play knows that when you add 2 new starters to the O line, it takes a while to for the O line to mesh. That had a lot to do with the problem the Birds had running the ball against Cooper. That and the fact that Cooper had a whole lot of very, very good defensive players returning.

I had my doubts about Hergot over the off season. Strangely enough, I actually now think he's going to turn out to be a pretty good QB. Yeah, he made some bad decisions Friday night. People forget that Hoge made some bad decisions last year in the first game against Campbell Co. And there is zero doubt that Cooper this year is much, much, much better than Campbell Co. was last year. Lest people forget, Campbell Co shut out the Birds in the second half last year (and no it wasn't because the Birds went conservative in the second half) and we were very fortunate to get out of there with a win.

Who knows, maybe this will be the year that CovCath gets us and we don't get to enjoy watching the Birds practice on Thanksgiving. Personally I think it's way too early to make any predictions about the Birds' season.

Agree 100% with what you said about the game.

I also want to point out the issue with recruiting when recruiting for DI is based mainly on measurable. I hope Hergott has a great career at Central Michigan but to offer a scholarship to someone who has never taken a snap as the Varsity starting QB is a joke. I hope he does improve but from what I have heard over the last few years about him as Frosh and JV qb, last Friday nights performance didn't really surprise anyone.

If anyone is still naive enough to think players are recruited by coaches sitting in the stands etc. on Friday Nights, well I have plenty of stories on plenty of kids who have been recruited and offered scholarships before they even get a varsity start and it has 100% to do with going to camps and measurables period.

Again, I wish Hergott the best at the next level but there are many many MANY DIII QB's better. Doesn't hurt to have connections but it isn't fair to those other kids that bust their butts and lose a spot because of connections to the program from a former QB who is now recruiting coordinator for a DI college. OK, Off my soap box
Does Cooper platoon or do they have many players going both ways?
HHellBird Wrote:Agree 100% with what you said about the game.

I also want to point out the issue with recruiting when recruiting for DI is based mainly on measurable. I hope Hergott has a great career at Central Michigan but to offer a scholarship to someone who has never taken a snap as the Varsity starting QB is a joke. I hope he does improve but from what I have heard over the last few years about him as Frosh and JV qb, last Friday nights performance didn't really surprise anyone.

If anyone is still naive enough to think players are recruited by coaches sitting in the stands etc. on Friday Nights, well I have plenty of stories on plenty of kids who have been recruited and offered scholarships before they even get a varsity start and it has 100% to do with going to camps and measurables period.

Again, I wish Hergott the best at the next level but there are many many MANY DIII QB's better. Doesn't hurt to have connections but it isn't fair to those other kids that bust their butts and lose a spot because of connections to the program from a former QB who is now recruiting coordinator for a DI college. OK, Off my soap box

Wow!!!! You gleaned this from one game? You have been singing his praises somewhere else and then get on here and completely rip on a high school kid? I know you have heartburn about your kid going DIII, but come on man, we are talking about high school kids. Sad.
mantax Wrote:Wow!!!! You gleaned this from one game? You have been singing his praises somewhere else and then get on here and completely rip on a high school kid? I know you have heartburn about your kid going DIII, but come on man, we are talking about high school kids. Sad.

No, you are wrong. I have no issue with Hergott at all. It also has nothing to do with my kid at all. It has everything to do with anyone, it could be anyone, getting a DI scholarship before they even get a vbarsity start. Again it has nothing to do with Hergott at all, he just happens to be the latest example of my point. I even said I hope he has a great career at the next level. He just happened to be the example I used to make my point.

Also I didn't rip him on here at all. Just because there are better QB's in college right now means I think he's horrible? Not even close. My point was just because you get a DI scholarship doesn't automatically mean you are a better player than others.

I have never seen Hergott before Friday Night and left my opinions about him to myself. The information I got about him was from Highlands fans.

Can you be objective? I ask you, before the a kid gets his first varsity snap do you think they deserve a DI scholarship? I also ask because of the circumstances surrounding his scholarship...you don't think there are perhaps other kids that actually may deserve it more? You can disagree, thata is fine. I was simply pointing out the fact that many times scholarships are awarded for reasons other than playing abilities.

Actually don't even bother replying to this post. I read some of your previous posts and found out if anyone says anything other than Hergott is the best thing since sliced bread you get all over them. This dating back to the off season posts about Highland. I guess your either him or his daddy, either way I don't care because when you can't hold a civil and objective conversation about a player then you're wasting my time. Sorry that you have to bring my kid into a conversation he was never involved in in the first place. Goes to show what type of person you are in the first place. Take care.
hop24 Wrote:Does Cooper platoon or do they have many players going both ways?

They have several playing both ways
HHellBird Wrote:No, you are wrong. I have no issue with Hergott at all. It also has nothing to do with my kid at all. It has everything to do with anyone, it could be anyone, getting a DI scholarship before they even get a vbarsity start. Again it has nothing to do with Hergott at all, he just happens to be the latest example of my point. I even said I hope he has a great career at the next level. He just happened to be the example I used to make my point.

Also I didn't rip him on here at all. Just because there are better QB's in college right now means I think he's horrible? Not even close. My point was just because you get a DI scholarship doesn't automatically mean you are a better player than others.

I have never seen Hergott before Friday Night and left my opinions about him to myself. The information I got about him was from Highlands fans.

Can you be objective? I ask you, before the a kid gets his first varsity snap do you think they deserve a DI scholarship? I also ask because of the circumstances surrounding his scholarship...you don't think there are perhaps other kids that actually may deserve it more? You can disagree, thata is fine. I was simply pointing out the fact that many times scholarships are awarded for reasons other than playing abilities.

Actually don't even bother replying to this post. I read some of your previous posts and found out if anyone says anything other than Hergott is the best thing since sliced bread you get all over them. This dating back to the off season posts about Highland. I guess your either him or his daddy, either way I don't care because when you can't hold a civil and objective conversation about a player then you're wasting my time. Sorry that you have to bring my kid into a conversation he was never involved in in the first place. Goes to show what type of person you are in the first place. Take care.

Oh please, you do not know me, but want to take shots at me? I am not Austin Hergott nor am I any relation to him. Just tired of ADULTS ripping on high school kids for goodness sakes. I am interested in hearing what you have to say about his recruitment. Not sure I get what you are trying to say, what are the circumstances surrounding his recruitment?
HHellBird Wrote:Agree 100% with what you said about the game.

No doubt that D-1 recruiting is based on measurables. I'm amazed that some ffolks still naively think it's based on high school performance. I watched Larry Warford (spelling?) get his lunch ate all game his senior year against Highlands. His high school performance didn't merit a D-1 scholarship from what I saw. But the guy had the measurables D-1 coaches are looking for. So all he did was go to UK, make All-SEC and now plays in the NFL.

Where I will disagree with you is the "fairness" part of your post. Not really sure where that is coming from. Trust me, the head coach of Central Michigan didn't extend a scholly to Hergott just because Gino Guidugli knew Hergott. He offered a scholly because Hergott had the measurables that D-1 coaches want. Period. I played D-III football and played with some outstanding football players. Unfortunately for them, they just didn't possess the height (or quickness or speed) needed to play D-1 ball. Unfair? Maybe I guess depending on what you think is "fair". Never bothered me at all, even several years later when a guy who played on my D-III team later became a coach at UK and told me I could have played for UK. I shrugged my shoulders, said thanks and told him I had a lot of fun playing for Centre (which I did) and had no regrets.

As for what Highlands fans say about Hergott, I wish I could say this nicely, but having been around Highlands football my entire adult life (which is a long time), 75% of them don't really have a clue. They make judgments based upon what they observe at the game which is pure silliness. Think they'd have learned by now by listening to coaches say about a billion times "I have to watch the tape before I comment on how we played". They see the QB get sacked and naively proclaim the O line is terrible. They don't realize that it was the RB fault for not blocking the blitzing OLB. They see the QB throw a pick on an anticipation route and naively proclaim the QB is terrible. They don't see that the receiver ran the wrong route. Etc., etc.

I'm not proclaiming that Hergott will turn into an outstanding high school QB by year end. But I have a strong feeling that after several games of experience, he will be a whole lot better than what he showed last Friday.
charlie22 Wrote:No doubt that D-1 recruiting is based on measurables. I'm amazed that some ffolks still naively think it's based on high school performance. I watched Larry Warford (spelling?) get his lunch ate all game his senior year against Highlands. His high school performance didn't merit a D-1 scholarship from what I saw. But the guy had the measurables D-1 coaches are looking for. So all he did was go to UK, make All-SEC and now plays in the NFL.

Where I will disagree with you is the "fairness" part of your post. Not really sure where that is coming from. Trust me, the head coach of Central Michigan didn't extend a scholly to Hergott just because Gino Guidugli knew Hergott. He offered a scholly because Hergott had the measurables that D-1 coaches want. Period. I played D-III football and played with some outstanding football players. Unfortunately for them, they just didn't possess the height (or quickness or speed) needed to play D-1 ball. Unfair? Maybe I guess depending on what you think is "fair". Never bothered me at all, even several years later when a guy who played on my D-III team later became a coach at UK and told me I could have played for UK. I shrugged my shoulders, said thanks and told him I had a lot of fun playing for Centre (which I did) and had no regrets.

As for what Highlands fans say about Hergott, I wish I could say this nicely, but having been around Highlands football my entire adult life (which is a long time), 75% of them don't really have a clue. They make judgments based upon what they observe at the game which is pure silliness. Think they'd have learned by now by listening to coaches say about a billion times "I have to watch the tape before I comment on how we played". They see the QB get sacked and naively proclaim the O line is terrible. They don't realize that it was the RB fault for not blocking the blitzing OLB. They see the QB throw a pick on an anticipation route and naively proclaim the QB is terrible. They don't see that the receiver ran the wrong route. Etc., etc.

I'm not proclaiming that Hergott will turn into an outstanding high school QB by year end. But I have a strong feeling that after several games of experience, he will be a whole lot better than what he showed last Friday.

I agree with everything you've said. Maybe I didn't say it as well but the points are the exact same. I hope he turns out to be an all american in college and to think I was ripping on him then I didn't express what I was trying to say correctly. Never ripped or meant to rip the kid at all. What I was stating is more proof for those parents that for some reason think players get recruited from coaches sitting in the stands Friday night couldn't be further from the truth. Hergott was recruited, and I could name a lot of other DI kids from NKY area such as Lex Sowards (Who is a personal friend and his family are among our best friends...using him as an example to show I'm not ripping kids at all plus the fact he turned out to be a stud lineman for Ryle) along with Drew Barker as another who were recruited even before they even got their first Varsity start. Just like Hergott which proves the point it is camps/combines that get kids recruited, not what they do on Friday Nights.

Now I will disagree with the connection of Guidugli and Highlands as far as his recruitment goes.