Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Any Game Played Before May Have Much Relevence?
I realize that every season's early results are not indicative of any teams potential, but with the way the weather has wrecked havoc on this season's beginning, will there really be a lot relevant to any game results until much later in the season regular schedule than normal?
Seems like early season results are less relevant in baseball than most other HS sports, on a pretty consistent basis. I attribute a lot of that to the nature of March weather in Kentucky. I wonder if states like Texas and Florida have the same problems.
Bob Seger Wrote:I realize that every season's early results are not indicative of any teams potential, but with the way the weather has wrecked havoc on this season's beginning, will there really be a lot relevant to any game results until much later in the season regular schedule than normal?

My prediction is no, there will not be much relevance in early season games (unless they are district seeded games). Even these district seeded games will suffer because of the weather, lack of field time, and such.

My reasoning is that too many teams have not conditioned the pitcher's arms well enough to go deep in a game. I bet pitch counts will be relatively low, probably around 60-65 pitches per game. If efficient, that put a pitcher at 5 innings TOPS. So, there will be multiple pitchers used early in the season in each game, including the seeded games. This could cause a few things:

1. Depth at the pitching staff with new guys being discovered that normally may not have gotten the chance in critical situations.

2. Early district losses by some favorites.

Should be interesting. LC had their first scrimmage from what I heard (and read below). All things told to me seem promising. Still too early to tell.
Lc has belfry next friday in a district game.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:My prediction is no, there will not be much relevance in early season games (unless they are district seeded games). Even these district seeded games will suffer because of the weather, lack of field time, and such.

My reasoning is that too many teams have not conditioned the pitcher's arms well enough to go deep in a game. I bet pitch counts will be relatively low, probably around 60-65 pitches per game. If efficient, that put a pitcher at 5 innings TOPS. So, there will be multiple pitchers used early in the season in each game, including the seeded games. This could cause a few things:

1. Depth at the pitching staff with new guys being discovered that normally may not have gotten the chance in critical situations.

2. Early district losses by some favorites.

Should be interesting. LC had their first scrimmage from what I heard (and read below). All things told to me seem promising. Still too early to tell.

WOW...You call that low?

I would say that you won't see any kids from Paintsville go over 40 the first two weeks or so.

Maybe Rice. But, that also depends on the weather conditions and other factors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Simply put...no. The games early in the season will have no relevance to the games in mid to late May.
^
I would agree that anything over 50 pitches seems a little iffy right now, probably around three innings tops. But you know there will be a coach here and there that will roll a guy out there and let him throw 90-plus pitches even this early. Just hope no lasting injuries come of it.
OffTheHook Wrote:WOW...You call that low?

I would say that you won't see any kids from Paintsville go over 40 the first two weeks or so.

Maybe Rice. But, that also depends on the weather conditions and other factors.

Well, maybe there were some teams that haven't been throwing before February 15th off the mound. I'm assuming many coaches though had their pitchers working out before the official practice. Plus, with the weather, there has been a lot of indoor time. So, I assume it would be rational to think that pitching was a primary focus to build up stamina.

I do not believe 60-65 pitches is too much, even this early. And we cannot judge coaches who run guys out there for 90-100 pitches if the weather is warm because we do not know how much that pitcher has thrown in the preseason practices. He may be conditioned for that already. Again, we do not know...but I'm sure we will be quick to judge....:eyeroll:
Some kids have been throwing all winter and fall. Part of the issue I think is how far they can throw inside. Part of conditioning an arm is throwing beyond the parameters of 60' 6" to let the throwing arm gain strength. During the winter, is very difficult to throw long distances. However, it does need to be a case-by-case basis on the amount of pitches. Not everyone goes at the same pace and not everyone has been throwing for the same length of time. I think 60-65 pitches would be fine for some but it could be way too much for others. If their mechanics are sound, it can also allow them a different amount as well.