Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the process of evaluating h.s. basketball officials ever be changed for better?
I start this thread because it has gotten just sad at how the level of officiating has become at the regional and state tournament levels, all because the true ratings system of evaluation is completely flawed to where the some of the best officials are left at home because they are not afraid to do the job right, not play the politics, and not afraid of certain coaches who can truly hurt them ratings-wise. AND, the main thing, not a good friend of the assigner, or in some clique. If we have someone who is supposed to be over officials at the KHSAA in a certain assistant commissioner, and someone who is supposed to as hands-on as he proclaims to be with officials as our commissioner, then why can't they make a system that puts the best on the floor? I'm tired of seeing officials who scored a higher rating than others, yet don't get rewarded for the job well-done and are those others are picked over them because of who they know, etc. I know there are others out there who feel the same. Give your thoughts.
daredevil4life Wrote:I start this thread because it has gotten just sad at how the level of officiating has become at the regional and state tournament levels, all because the true ratings system of evaluation is completely flawed to where the some of the best officials are left at home because they are not afraid to do the job right, not play the politics, and not afraid of certain coaches who can truly hurt them ratings-wise. AND, the main thing, not a good friend of the assigner, or in some clique. If we have someone who is supposed to be over officials at the KHSAA in a certain assistant commissioner, and someone who is supposed to as hands-on as he proclaims to be with officials as our commissioner, then why can't they make a system that puts the best on the floor? I'm tired of seeing officials who scored a higher rating than others, yet don't get rewarded for the job well-done and are those others are picked over them because of who they know, etc. I know there are others out there who feel the same. Give your thoughts.

The reason why this happens is because your commissioner picks who he wants to come to the state tournaments.The assigners are afraid that they will loose their stipends if they don't send who he wants, and someone who will, will take their place.
They are all puppets on a string from Asst. Commish. to Assigners.
I am historically, a harsh critic when it comes to the officials. However, I will say that the team that did our game at the District Tournament did a phenomenal job.

You didn't notice them on the floor, and they kept the officiating consistent and unbiased.
Fattyfatpat Wrote:They are all puppets on a string from Asst. Commish. to Assigners.

Not the refs, the people who are over them.
This is why I never complain about officials.
It simply will never do any good, at least not in our life time.

Officials are average joes in most cases looking to make a couple of extra bucks every week. As long as they don't do anything shady, they have nothing to worry about and there job is safe. I cant blame them for not getting better because there is simply no incentive to get any better in any way.
I'm more concerned with weeding out the worst rather than rewarding the best.

With every person in the house carrying a video camera these days, there's plenty of evidence of repeated and blatant corruption in officials on the floor. Video evidence of the worst offenders should be allowed to be submitted to some state wide review board.
Who evaluates the officials or what is the process
Until the khsaa or the board of controls will stand up and admit there is a problem then you are beating your head against the walls. I agree with what is being said here........officials now are out of shape and seemingly think that people pay to see them blow their whistles. I have been to games this year where they shot over 70 free throws........one game where they called nearly 50 fouls.......then other games where the helmets and pads had to come out. Until there is some system of checks and balances then is basically a free-for-all. Recently watched guys from the 10th and 11th do the 13th region tournament and overall they did a pretty good job. But your supposed to get the best at that point in the season. But locally, things look pretty bad and will get worse until something is done.........just don't know what can be at this point.
I agree. There should be a better process. Something they should do is watch film of these games and attend some and if they have fault with an official over a few games then take action. As for us in the 14th region that's one reason our teams have trouble at the state tournament. Officials call for certain players and they don't let teams play the way they do in the state tourny. And someone else said that refs feel like they have to let calls go for the assigning secretary's team so they can get more work.
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:Until the khsaa or the board of controls will stand up and admit there is a problem then you are beating your head against the walls. I agree with what is being said here........officials now are out of shape and seemingly think that people pay to see them blow their whistles. I have been to games this year where they shot over 70 free throws........one game where they called nearly 50 fouls.......then other games where the helmets and pads had to come out. Until there is some system of checks and balances then is basically a free-for-all. Recently watched guys from the 10th and 11th do the 13th region tournament and overall they did a pretty good job. But your supposed to get the best at that point in the season. But locally, things look pretty bad and will get worse until something is done.........just don't know what can be at this point.

Everyone watches games from a fan perspective , now hear me out. 90% of people who criticize refs their teams lost a game and they are mad! Are there bad refs, yes and there are good ones and most of the good ones work their butts off only to crucified in this forum because some team didn't win. They can't win, if you want or think you can do better, they are always looking for good refs, but most would rather sit on their butts and complain. Until you have been on the floor dealt with idiot coaches who think they are Calipari and kids whose mommy and daddy thinks they are the greatest thing since John Wall but in reality not very good, then leave them alone. How would you like it if 500 people came to your work and yelled at you, you suck, I'm gonna whip your ass, plus cussed at you constantly and if that wasn't enough, they also get on this forum and talk about how your work is horrible, you shouldn't be in your job? You wouldn't like it. Are there faults yes, DI the best refs get to the state No, but that is because of politics! The same thing that got must of us jobs or how you snooze the boss to keep it. It's comicsl to hear and read how people who have never done it nor have the balls to try, complain. Moral of the story if you want change get out there and do it, otherwise accept it
daredevil4life Wrote:I start this thread because it has gotten just sad at how the level of officiating has become at the regional and state tournament levels, all because the true ratings system of evaluation is completely flawed to where the some of the best officials are left at home because they are not afraid to do the job right, not play the politics, and not afraid of certain coaches who can truly hurt them ratings-wise. AND, the main thing, not a good friend of the assigner, or in some clique. If we have someone who is supposed to be over officials at the KHSAA in a certain assistant commissioner, and someone who is supposed to as hands-on as he proclaims to be with officials as our commissioner, then why can't they make a system that puts the best on the floor? I'm tired of seeing officials who scored a higher rating than others, yet don't get rewarded for the job well-done and are those others are picked over them because of who they know, etc. I know there are others out there who feel the same. Give your thoughts.

Politics! Plus coaches HS coaches don't want guys to call it straight! They want someone to cheat for them and give them calls! The ones that don't get blackballed ! Mostly the best refs are used in Regionals but definitely not in State Tournaments