Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a Stand
Standing desks - has any other BGR members who work in an office decided to abandon their chairs for their health? If so, how is your workstation configured?

Even for the active, a long sit shortens life and erodes health

In short, if you work in a job where you sit most of the time, then you are much more likely to die suddenly, even if you work out regularly and think you are fit. You are also 90 percent more likely to develop diabetes than a person who does not sit for long periods of time.

I spend most of my day sitting in front of a keyboard, so I decided to change my ways and create a standing workstation. Several of my coworkers have already made the switch, although a couple have already passed their "standing desks" to somebody else. I see a couple others sitting and working with their hands over their heads too, but some have stuck with the new program.

Yesterday, I went to an IKEA store and bought a 13" tall (39" wide x 16" deep) steel and glass table on which I will place my keyboard and mouse. I have ordered a heavy rubber mat from Amazon.com and new wrist pads for my keyboard and mouse.

The table is light enough that I can move it aside and sit down periodically until I get used to standing all day. I paid under $20 for the table, which was a display model that had recently been discontinued. The mat was another $60, and all together I will have about $120 invested in my new setup. The glass table will sit on top of my desk, which will raise my keyboard to 42".

My monitors are mounted to an adjustable bracket. At their maximum height, they will be lower than experts recommend when I stand, but I am hoping to avoid moving them to individual stands.
The desks in our support offices all can be raised and lowered. I've only seen 2 people who have adjusted them up to stand. I'd all over it when it cranks to the floor so I can lay down......
I have one at my desk, we all do in my office. Every now and again I will use it standing up but not alot. Dr says I cant stand in one place very long after breaking both ankles.
I would've LOVED to have had the standing option several years ago!! Actually, I wouldn't mind it so much now. Sitting for so many years has hurt my vision, my joints and my ample ass!
Still standing after about three 3 weeks. The first few days were rough but I am gradually getting used to standing. I have made a couple of additions to my standing desk that has made giving up my chair much easier. To avoid taking breaks in my chair (except for lunch), I have a homemade "leaning stool" (a/k/a a "human kick stand").

I bought a good quality aluminum cane, sawed off the top, and mounted a Schwinn bicycle seat to top of the aluminum tube. It allows me to take a break from standing by taking some of the weight off my feet but it is not comfortable enough to make me give up standing. a broad rubber base keeps the stool from slipping.

I also found that my desk was not quite tall enough, so I added a second glass shelf for my keyboard and mouse that adds 2-3/4" to the height.

I am planning to outfit my living room with a similar setup.
When I use to be out in the field, I was on my feet for 8 hours a day.
Now I set at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I haven't changed anything as far as exercise or eating habits, yet im the same weight and my blood work actually looks better.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:When I use to be out in the field, I was on my feet for 8 hours a day.
Now I set at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I haven't changed anything as far as exercise or eating habits, yet im the same weight and my blood work actually looks better.
I think a standing with periodic breaks leaning or sitting will work best for me. I am using the bicycle seat to make sure that I don't backside into sitting full-time. I can already tell that my legs are getting stronger from the changes that I have made. Humans we're designed to chase small animals and run from large ones.
Another study, more bad news for people who sit while watching TV...

Quote:Each hour of sitting increases chance of heart disease by 14%

A new study has found that for each hour a day that an adult spends sitting down during their lifetime, the likelihood of developing heart disease goes up by 14 per cent.

It further warns that a daily session at the gym won’t undo the damage because any increase in fitness from an hour’s exercise is overridden by several hours of sitting.

Scientists from the Medical College of Wisconsin tracked levels of activity of 2,031 adults whose average age was 50.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Another study, more bad news for people who sit while watching TV...

There's big business in the poor health of a super power! :Thumbs:

I've drawn this conclusion, the more sacrifices I make know will enable me to spend more time with my Grandkids. I like the whole short term sacrifice for long term gain principle.

In and of itself a foreign concept in todays entitled " me now " society!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
After almost three months, I am still standing. I've not lost much weight, but I have trimmed a couple of inches around my waist. The downside is that nothing that I have tried has allowed me to escape pain in my heels. So, I have decided to take the next step and start shedding some weight.

Today, I ordered a treadmill desk to begin using at home. It will arrive in a couple of weeks. My goal is to average 6 miles of walking a day while working on my laptop and watching TV. I wish that I could install it at the office, but I don't have room and would probably not be allowed to set it up there anyway.
I may be in the minority but im happy I made it to 30. I could die today and still feel like I had long enough Confusednicker:
Hey wait, what if you're too much of a lazy bum to stand? ... like me :I

:igiveup: