Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Championship Game Upsets
Usually when there is a significant favorite in a title game, the game goes according to plan. But on occasion the underdog doesn't cooperate. What are some of the greatest upsets in Kentucky High School Football Championship Game history?

In recent memory, Hazard over Mayfield in 2011 comes to mind. There might be some Cardinal fans on this board still losing sleep over that one. :yawn:
samson81 Wrote:Usually when there is a significant favorite in a title game, the game goes according to plan. But on occasion the underdog doesn't cooperate. What are some of the greatest upsets in Kentucky High School Football Championship Game history?

In recent memory, Hazard over Mayfield in 2011 comes to mind. There might be some Cardinal fans on this board still losing sleep over that one. :yawn:

Mayfield will just take it out on williamsburg, and hopefully it will help ease the pain of 2011.
Whoops! How could I forget Collins over Highlands just last year?
Bourbon County in 1997

4 Seed to State Champs
1A Williamsburg upsets mayfield that was easy. Confusednicker:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Bourbon County in 1997

4 Seed to State Champs

They were a 3 seed.
I can't remember what year exactly but the most recent Paducah tilghman team that was a 4 seed and had a awful record in the regular season Won very unexpectedly. 2008 or 2009 maybe?
MountainSports Wrote:I can't remember what year exactly but the most recent Paducah tilghman team that was a 4 seed and had a awful record in the regular season Won very unexpectedly. 2008 or 2009 maybe?
2009. Seems like the only year in recent memory that neither Central nor Belfry made the 3A final.
It was 2009 for PT. That year we had Lone Oak, PT and Mayfield at the finals.
It may not seem like it now but in 2007 Central's win over Belfry surprised a few. Undefeated Belfry coming in against a 5 loss Central team. Both teams had played Johnson Central that year Belfry won by I believe 2 scores while Central got slashed by them. All things pointed to Belfry completing an undefeated season, Scroggins had other plans.
samson81 Wrote:Usually when there is a significant favorite in a title game, the game goes according to plan. But on occasion the underdog doesn't cooperate. What are some of the greatest upsets in Kentucky High School Football Championship Game history?

I hope so.
64SUR Wrote:1A Williamsburg upsets mayfield that was easy. Confusednicker:

Go Jackets!
AtlPirateFan Wrote:It may not seem like it now but in 2007 Central's win over Belfry surprised a few. Undefeated Belfry coming in against a 5 loss Central team. Both teams had played Johnson Central that year Belfry won by I believe 2 scores while Central got slashed by them. All things pointed to Belfry completing an undefeated season, Scroggins had other plans.
How about Belfry in '03 against Elizabethtown? Chris Todd led a high flying offense that put up huge numbers that year. I don't recall many outside of Pond Creek giving the Pirates a shot. Yet another example of how you don't need a pass happy spread offense to win titles. Tough, disciplined, hard nosed, fundamental football can still get the job done.
That 2009 PT team had more talent than their 6 loss regular season would have you believe. Their defense was super quick and forced what seemed like at least 30-40 turnovers on us. That was far and away the worst game we played that year.
samson81 Wrote:How about Belfry in '03 against Elizabethtown? Chris Todd led a high flying offense that put up huge numbers that year. I don't recall many outside of Pond Creek giving the Pirates a shot. Yet another example of how you don't need a pass happy spread offense to win titles. Tough, disciplined, hard nosed, fundamental football can still get the job done.

Belfry was the favorite all year long in '03, although Etown was very deserving of being there and every bit as good.
MountainSports Wrote:I can't remember what year exactly but the most recent Paducah tilghman team that was a 4 seed and had a awful record in the regular season Won very unexpectedly. 2008 or 2009 maybe?
Good one. Tilghman was a 3 seed that year, but still a great answer.