Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland's Quinton Baker decommits from UK
jetpilot Wrote:Hopefully UPike gets him.

Another vintage post from JP :hilarious:
TigerBlues Wrote:Another vintage post from JP :hilarious:

:biggrin:
:yawn:
"Verbal" commitments are just as valid as "verbal" offers.

And both are just as "real" as the paper they're written on.
I think Bakers decision to de-commit has little to do with Neal Brown leaving, but a lot to do with Damien Harris eventually committing to UK. I believe Harris will be a Wildcat, and Baker wants to go somewhere where he will eventually be the lead back. As long as Harris is in Lexington, he will be the leading man, with Baker likely red shirting, and seeing very little playing time behind Harris, Boom, and Jo Jo.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Reading between the lines, I would say that Baker's big game against Highlands convinced him that he could do better than UK. It is also very possible that his performance won over a few doubters.

I doubt that this is a case of UK deciding it was no longer interested in Baker. UK would be lucky to have him on their roster. I am not so sure that Baker would be lucky to be on UK's roster.

Great player and a great kid I am sure but if you saw what Boom Williams did on Saturday and what other guys have done at that position for the Cats this year its pretty apparent that he would not be in the top 3 on the depth chart at UK next year. Very good player though and I would not be shocked if he ends up at Troy as a slot receiver with Neal Brown. I think that is where he would have made an impact at UK as well.
Baker is just a Junior this year… He would not be on campus at UK until 2016 football season.
His best fit would be naia football or D11
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Look I wish the kid well but lets be honest. We don't need anymore 3 star running backs.
We have plenty of them. If we want to compete were going to have to do better than 3 Stars in the back field.

Randall Cobb 2*, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan, Avery Williamson, and Myron Pryor were 3*. There have been more 2 and 3 stars reach their potential and make it to the next level than there have been 5 star guys live up to their expectations.
Baker can play in the SEC. He doesn't have to be a TB to get on the field. Slot WR punt returner an occasion carry or reverse. Even a DB which may be his best position. Kid is a Junior will be a Senior next year. Him and O'Byran are close and he may end up going somewhere with him. O'Byran took a visit a few weeks back to Ohio U and Baker went too. A buddy of mine heard Purdue has offered him and that might be a spot he lands. Think he has a offer from the Cards too.
Very good player that prolly end up Eku or wku
Very good player and (by all accounts) a very good student. I wish him the best in his decision.

Most of us have the knee-jerk reaction to equate "Division I" with some sort of status not afforded other programs and institutions. But I'm here to tell you that "D-I" ain't always so "first class." It can be a real a meat market, bro.

Sometimes, smaller is better. Ask Dyshawn Mobley. Ask Channing Fugate.

Best of luck to the kid in finding a place that feels like home.
The only individuals that Baker needs to impress are college coaches. None of us are responsible for handing out scholarships, none of us get paid by a university to evaluate talent and none of us should be so critical in judging his talents or telling him where he is best suited.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Does he decommit or is it uk saying behind the scenes we aren't interested? It gives him a chance to open his recruitment on his terms without uk tarnishing his ability, jmo.

thats what I was thinking.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Randall Cobb 2*, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan, Avery Williamson, and Myron Pryor were 3*. There have been more 2 and 3 stars reach their potential and make it to the next level than there have been 5 star guys live up to their expectations.
Devante Parker who may be #1 WR coming out of college and possibly a number 1 over all first round draft pick this year was a 3 star recruit from rivals. I remember seeing him at some track meets from Ballard and he was probably their 4th fastest guy on their track team. No one ever mentioned Parker as high profile or a big time recruit coming out of Ballard. Recruiting is a crap shoot most of the time. Many 4 and 5 stars just don't pan out!
IMO he's small Division 1 at best. I saw a lot of Arliss Beach and played against David Jones for Belfry both of whom were big strong physical kids that dominated games. Baker is good but one man brings him down needs to hit the weights. Everyone at the next level is fast even at the NAIA level which I played at there were no slouches out there. The kid is talented but he has a long way to go, I wish him all the best.
I agree. Makes great spins and jukes but rarely breaks tackles. He has 1 more year to get stronger. I'm sure he can do it. As long as he stays away from crossfit he will be fine. Lol