Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4.Somerset @ 1.Shelby Valley First Round
oneijoe Wrote:I'll assume you were talking about Leslie Co.. That's the only way your first statement makes sense. As for the rest of it Shelby Valley won the tiebreaker on points. The poor officiating ended up doing -nothing- for Leslie Co., though it screwed P-burg out of the district title.

That is what I am referring too. That is the impression I got from several people, but if its not the case thats fine. However, it doesnt change the fact that Prestonsburg should have been the district champs, and bad officiating was at the root of why that didn't happen.
baseball1974 Wrote:That is what I am referring too. That is the impression I got from several people, but if its not the case thats fine. However, it doesnt change the fact that Prestonsburg should have been the district champs, and bad officiating was at the root of why that didn't happen.

Yep, a big part of it. Prestonsburg certainly didn't help themselves on their last drive by scoring a TD (ya don't hear that often...lol), but the timing was such that the NEXT play is the one P-burg would have taken a knee and iced it.

It is what it is... :HitWall:
I've said it all year long, Shelby Valley has one of the best front 5 on both sides. With a hard runner in Rowe, they have potential. Valley wins 35-21
Somerset is the best winless team in the state, played a very difficult schedule.

I think they have the potential to make a mini-run in the playoffs. I like Somerset in this one.

Somerset - 29

Shelby Valley - 14
Somerset gets 1st win.
Valley takes care of business. All this talk of an unbeaten 0-10 team beating a 8-2 team will only add fuel to the fire of wanting to win at home in first round of playoffs.
Sv 28
Somerset 20
34-21 Somerset Will Win! Playing a tough Schedule does make a Huge Difference which will show Friday Night! LOOKOUT 2A HERE COMES THE JUMPERS
Somerset
If Valley doesn't put the ball on the ground 3-4 times, I think this one is theirs to lose.

The Wing-T SV runs could be a shock to a young Jumper defense. If so, and Valley gets up a couple scores early, it's big trouble for Somerset. Even though the Jumpers have shown some great come-from-behind ability (example: Middlesboro game), SV's offense WILL shorten the game with ball control. Also, Valley's defense does a good job preventing big plays.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

Valley - 28
Somerset - 14
The fact that anyone considers a Somerset win possible testifies to something, I guess. They have improved over the losing streak, and they have continued to learn how to play hard (if not always especially smart).

It's always neat to make "history" and a winless team finally winning in the playoffs would definitely qualify. When everything and everyone around you says "just lie down," you rise up and swing again anyway. That's special. I guess we'll see what the cold, misty mountains divulge.

Good luck to both teams for an injury-free contest.
Shelby Valley made some history of their own this year by being the first district champions in the 25 years of the school. These young men hungry for something more and are not satisfied in the least. They have the community behind their backs now. They have been told from day 1 that they weren't good enough and have done things this year no one thought they could do, including me.

The talk of an 0-9 team beating them and them being a possible favorite, I'm sure, has only added fuel to the fire. More motivation for them than anything. I think, that they are tired of hearing about all this somerset history and tradition. I think they truly believe it's time for them to make some history and start a tradition of their own. I believe Valley comes out with a chip on their shoulder from the beating they took from somerset 2 years ago.

Shelby Valley - 34
Somerset - 21
Briar jumpers 31-20
This somerset team is a sleeper, well seasoned, hungry, if valley lets up its over for them Somerset 30- valley 28
Somerset will put up a fight but will fall short 33-27.
It seems like Valley has been playing some of their best ball these last few weeks. They hung tough with Prestonsburg, won a road game at Leslie County under difficult circumstances, blew out Betsy Layne, then knocked off a strong 3A team in Fleming County.

After careful contemplation, I think I will go against the majority on this thread and pick the 1-seed in an upset. Let's say...

Shelby Valley 32
Somerset 30
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I like Somerset's chances in this one. I'll go with the 4th Seed moving on to 2nd round!!!
Somerset-14

Shelby Valley-27
More Cowbell Wrote:It seems like Valley has been playing some of their best ball these last few weeks. They hung tough with Prestonsburg, won a road game at Leslie County under difficult circumstances, blew out Betsy Layne, then knocked off a strong 3A team in Fleming County.

After careful contemplation, I think I will go against the majority on this thread and pick the 1-seed in an upset. Let's say...

Shelby Valley 32
Somerset 30

Is that the Fleming County team that only beat West Carter by 1 point?
baseball1974 Wrote:Is that the Fleming County team that only beat West Carter by 1 point?

Yes. I seen where you deleted your last post bashing them for "getting shut out 50-0 by Morgan county" it was the other way around lol. My IQ drops with every post I read of yours. Fleming is a quality team. They best a good mason county team and a few other good wins.
Gator95 Wrote:Yes. I seen where you deleted your last post bashing them for "getting shut out 50-0 by Morgan county" it was the other way around lol. My IQ drops with every post I read of yours. Fleming is a quality team. They best a good mason county team and a few other good wins.

Fleming didn't play Morgan? I do agree with you about Mason County. I seen them play Newport earlier in the year. They have a good balanced team and are well coached. However, Fleming is up and down and have been all year.
baseball1974 Wrote:Is that the Fleming County team that only beat West Carter by 1 point?

Yes it is. Fleming Co. finished 7-3 and claimed the #2 seed in their district. They beat a good Mason Co. team, and hung tough in a close loss to Russell. A win over Fleming Co. is a quality win.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]