Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County 57 Breathitt County 49 (2OT)
What a crazy game.

Huge win for Magoffin County!
Nice win for Magoffin County. Congratulations
@LaurenWYMT: FINAL (2OT): Magoffin County 57, Breathitt County 49.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Is this Magoffin's first ever win over Breathitt?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Is this Magoffin's first ever win over Breathitt?
Yeah I think so and I'd say this is the biggest win in program history for Magoffin County.
No they a had a bigger win in 1996, but it will rank up there.
foxbatone Wrote:No they a had a bigger win in 1996, but it will rank up there.

What win was that for those of us not super familiar with Magoffin's older history?
Congrats to Scotty and his football team.....

He might end up getting a statue made of him at Magoffin's new football stadium.

But for real...... great win for Magoffin Co.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
A.G. nice windshield art. Good win by Maggoffin Co to.
:trolldad2:Congrats to Scotty and the program on a huge win. I agree you may have a "McCoy Holiday" in MC in the near future.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What win was that for those of us not super familiar with Magoffin's older history?

Magoffin beat Ashland in 1996 12-6, it was when Mick Caba was the Head coach for Magoffin Co. Thanks to Cutis Crye for the info. The Hornets had a few good teams in the mid '90's. they beat Boyd Co. as well 38-29 in 1995 during their brief run.
Bobcats could not get a stop when they needed it. Defense was in the backfield all game absolutely laid the wood on Magoffin's QB but to his credit he got back up and made some HUGE plays. Unfortunately, the Bobcats wasted a great effort from Collins, Hilderbrand, and Turner who played solid games. It's sure been a long year on the riverbank.
Coin Toss Wrote:Bobcats could not get a stop when they needed it. Defense was in the backfield all game absolutely laid the wood on Magoffin's QB but to his credit he got back up and made some HUGE plays. Unfortunately, the Bobcats wasted a great effort from Collins, Hilderbrand, and Turner who played solid games. It's sure been a long year on the riverbank.
A lot of the blame is on the defensive coordinator in my opinion. Many plays the defense was no where near where they needed to be. I watched no tape and after a quarter was calling the plays Mc ran. No adjustments in scheme from the coaching staff or adjustments from the players on the field. All round bad outing on defense. You do not give up that many points against Mc and say that one or two players had a good game. The defense gets an F for this game.

I am not saying that anyone needs to be fired, just that changes in preparation and in game coaching adjustments need to be addressed.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:A lot of the blame is on the defensive coordinator in my opinion. Many plays the defense was no where near where they needed to be. I watched no tape and after a quarter was calling the plays Mc ran. No adjustments in scheme from the coaching staff or adjustments from the players on the field. All round bad outing on defense. You do not give up that many points against Mc and say that one or two players had a good game. The defense gets an F for this game.

I am not saying that anyone needs to be fired, just that changes in preparation and in game coaching adjustments need to be addressed.

Couldn't agree more man. Magoffin ran pretty much the same plays over and over. Magoffin would send a reciever in motion and the Quaterback would run to opposite side of the field without a bobcat player in sight. The defense looks decent on some drives but flat out terrible most of time. Breathitt plays their Db's way to close to the line, and it shows when they get beat deep every play. Magoffin got the ball with 46 seconds left on the clock and passed all the way down the field with Breathitt still playing man to man coverage. They played a little zone and it worked when they did but they still went back to man. All it really comes down to is execution for the defense. But Congrats to Magoffin on the win!!! It was a dandy game to watch.
Sounds like a very fun game to watch.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:A lot of the blame is on the defensive coordinator in my opinion. Many plays the defense was no where near where they needed to be. I watched no tape and after a quarter was calling the plays Mc ran. No adjustments in scheme from the coaching staff or adjustments from the players on the field. All round bad outing on defense. You do not give up that many points against Mc and say that one or two players had a good game. The defense gets an F for this game.

I agree completely. And my points about a couple guys having good games were not necessarily defense related. Turner ran the ball pretty well and plays some LB at times in which he did an okay job. I thought the Collins Kid played his heart out and scored on several plays where he should have been stopped. The Collins kid is a really impressive athlete. But he too did not shine necessarily on defense. Hilderbrand made some big hits but obviously big hits do NOT get you W's only highlights. It just seems like there's absolutely no adjustments being made really on either side of the ball by the coaching staff. And absolutely not taking anything away from MC but Breathitt should not have lost that game at home. Period.
Could this game have sealed Kyle's fate at the end of the season?
I don't think so. And I don't think it should either. However, you have to question the product on the field to a degree.
This game doesn't seal Kyles fate. You play with what you have. Last year Kyle had a QB that could throw a little bit and spread it around. This year he doesn't have that. Kyle does a great job and he will build the program back up. Congrats to the hornets on a big win. Coach McCoy and Combs did a wonderful job keeping the kids in the game. I'd love to see Combs back in Breathitt County next year but who knows. Defensively it looked like they didn't do much but with a fumble on the offense for a TD, a faked punt for a TD, a kickoff for a TD and a punt return for a TD. The Collins kid is the real deal. He gets weapons around him or a QB that can throw it to him they will be dangerous. But I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster. Congrats to the hornets and the Bobcats on a game that was well worth the ticket. Fun to watch.
As a former player, it's very disheartening to see our program in the shape it's currently in. I have heard a lot of talk about this being Magoffin County's most significant win, but on the flip side, this very well could be one of the worst loses our program has endured. Congrats Magoffin County on the hard fought win, you guys deserve it.
foxbatone Wrote:Magoffin beat Ashland in 1996 12-6, it was when Mick Caba was the Head coach for Magoffin Co. Thanks to Cutis Crye for the info. The Hornets had a few good teams in the mid '90's. they beat Boyd Co. as well 38-29 in 1995 during their brief run.

That was huge.
As long as the state runs the school system Kyle's job is safe.
Hard to believe what happens to athletics when the state is in charge.
Coin Toss Wrote:I agree completely. And my points about a couple guys having good games were not necessarily defense related. Turner ran the ball pretty well and plays some LB at times in which he did an okay job. I thought the Collins Kid played his heart out and scored on several plays where he should have been stopped. The Collins kid is a really impressive athlete. But he too did not shine necessarily on defense. Hilderbrand made some big hits but obviously big hits do NOT get you W's only highlights. It just seems like there's absolutely no adjustments being made really on either side of the ball by the coaching staff. And absolutely not taking anything away from MC but Breathitt should not have lost that game at home. Period.
I did not want to sound like I was attacking your post and apologize if I typed it in that way. I agree that a couple of the players had good games, just the team as a whole played an F game.