Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the most important position on the basketball floor?
IMO it is the point guard. In most cases they are the leaders of the team, offensively they put everyone in the right position to score, and defensively they get the pressure started on the ball. What does everyone else think?
ALLDAY Wrote:IMO it is the point guard. In most cases they are the leaders of the team, offensively they put everyone in the right position to score, and defensively they get the pressure started on the ball. What does everyone else think?

I agree...I played on a team with a terrible PG while in high school and we lost in the 1st round of district...a year later (after he graduated) we had a better PG (still not great, but at least could get the ball past half-court and into our shooters hands) and we went all the way to the state elite-8. Having a good PG who can make good decision and understands their role is HUGE.
i agree
Yeah by far the point guard. They are the floor general out there on the court and have to keep track of all the plays and mostly make the plays happen
IMO, there is no "important position" Basketball is a TEAM sport, and if everyone on the floor does their job, you will win. If all 5 players outwork their man, you will win. If all 5 players do their job in boxing out their man, the basketball should hit the floor....if one man slacks, its the other teams board.....team game, no position overrules another..
corndog23 Wrote:IMO, there is no "important position" Basketball is a TEAM sport, and if everyone on the floor does their job, you will win. If all 5 players outwork their man, you will win. If all 5 players do their job in boxing out their man, the basketball should hit the floor....if one man slacks, its the other teams board.....team game, no position overrules another..

I agree, but if I had to choose I'd say the point guard positon:rockon:
blackcat_student Wrote:I agree, but if I had to choose I'd say the point guard positon:rockon:
Exactly.:thumpsup:
corndog23 Wrote:IMO, there is no "important position" Basketball is a TEAM sport, and if everyone on the floor does their job, you will win. If all 5 players outwork their man, you will win. If all 5 players do their job in boxing out their man, the basketball should hit the floor....if one man slacks, its the other teams board.....team game, no position overrules another..
Corndog, I see what you are saying, but on the contrary, I strongly believe that there are "important positions" these positions being all of them. However, you know that a starting center, point guard etc. is going to be much more valuable than that of a utility player. Once again I'm not saying that teams don't need utility players but you depend on your pg to set up the offense and control game situations. You need your sg to knock down the clutch shots, and so on and so forth.
every position is important!
Are some of you saying if you had the best point guard in the region on a team of people who cant play, that team will be one of the best teams in the region? I think all positions are importiant. You need a point guard who can handle the ball, read defences and get the right offense going. A shooting guard and a good shooter in the forward position. A good strong forward to slash to the goal when the defense overplays. And a good post player to keep the defense from overplaying the outside game. If they do overplay the outside players, take it down low, when the post player starts to draw the defense in to him, he kicks it back out for a outside shot. If the point guard is the whole team, why does everyone think Spud made a good decision in going to JC?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
The refs.
Well I agree with all of you that say no one important job. That IS why they call it a TEAM. If one was more important, then there would be a least important, and if that is the case, why the heck would you need them, the game could be played four on five, because that most important position guy don't need any back up. Everyone does their share, and no one could make any shots or blocks with out at least one other guy doing his job. Everyone works together as a whole.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Are some of you saying if you had the best point guard in the region on a team of people who cant play, that team will be one of the best teams in the region? I think all positions are importiant. You need a point guard who can handle the ball, read defences and get the right offense going. A shooting guard and a good shooter in the forward position. A good strong forward to slash to the goal when the defense overplays. And a good post player to keep the defense from overplaying the outside game. If they do overplay the outside players, take it down low, when the post player starts to draw the defense in to him, he kicks it back out for a outside shot. If the point guard is the whole team, why does everyone think Spud made a good decision in going to JC?

Exactly I agree with you, thats what I was trying to say up there..
The coaches
I think every position is pretty equally important. The 4 and 5 men has to get boards before the PG can get the ball. Someone has to get the ball to the PG. The 5 man usually has to get the ball out fast to the PG. the 2 and three have to be in position for the 1 to get the ball to on eighter the fast break or setting up plays. They also handle the ball alot especially if the opposing team is pressing. Pretty much what i'm sayin is certain players are better for the position the play and each player works equally as hard as the other. I'd say each team has a player who is the most important player on there team, and the position they play would differ from team to team.
I would have to say PG because they are the ones that keep the offense under control
The point guard position is the most important.
I will agree all positions are important,but your point guard is the man who get the ball up the floor put the ball where it needs to go. So yes your point guard is your most important position.
I know everyone wants to be the point guard, but all the positions are important.... it is a team sport after all. There should never be any Big I's and Little U's in basketball.
every position is very important and if every one executes ther position the team will be successful.
I think the PG, but only because most of the time they bring the ball up court and start the "O". I have seen some teams that a forward would bring the ball up court and then get it to the PG to get everything started. I guess It wouldnt be the position but the best ball handler.
If a team has a solid PG who could get the ball were it needs to be and some decent players a team would be well off
ALLDAY Wrote:IMO it is the point guard. In most cases they are the leaders of the team, offensively they put everyone in the right position to score, and defensively they get the pressure started on the ball. What does everyone else think?

:thumpsup: If you have to pick one, the PG is crucial!!
Homer Simpson Wrote:The coaches

I agree
#1 BasketBall Fan 23 Wrote:I will agree all positions are important,but your point guard is the man who get the ball up the floor put the ball where it needs to go. So yes your point guard is your most important position.

Tell that to Phil Jackson...who brings the ball up the floor in LA??? Lamar Odom....Who brought it up in Chicago?? Scottie Pippen....you dont have to be a PG to bring the ball up the floor, other people can do it. All positions are of equal importance..... If PG was THE most important, then the Philadelphia 76'rs would be world champions, and the Kentucky Wildcats wouldnt have lost a game last year....Iverson is the best in the NBA, Rondo was the best in college....
corndog23 Wrote:Tell that to Phil Jackson...who brings the ball up the floor in LA??? Lamar Odom....Who brought it up in Chicago?? Scottie Pippen....you dont have to be a PG to bring the ball up the floor, other people can do it. All positions are of equal importance..... If PG was THE most important, then the Philadelphia 76'rs would be world champions, and the Kentucky Wildcats wouldnt have lost a game last year....Iverson is the best in the NBA, Rondo was the best in college....

What have Phil and the lakers done lately with Lamar Odom bringin the ball up the floor, they need a true unselfish point guard who can get Kobe the ball in situations to score. Cant argue much about the Scottie Pippen comment. And as for the 76ers Iverson is not a true point guard, ask anyone the 76ers were much better when they had Eric Snow there to run the show and let Iverson worry about one thing and that is putting the ball in the hole, which is what he does best.
Strongly disagree here, Case in point Paintsville last yr. If they have had a point gaurd last yr there would have been a huge difference in them. From what i hear they may have one this yr. If the previous point guard will stay home (and if not atleast on the bench) Paintsville will be a real hard team to contend with JMO.
center
we had a great team last year but no big man so we couldn't do anything.
Yea i agree, Point Guard is probably one of the most important parts of a team