Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Richlands, VA Scrimmage(s)
From the Belfry fans that went, our defense really looked good against them. In the Scrimmage still in progress vs. Richlands (Va), Belfry up by two scores.

Thanks to those at the game for keeping us updated!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1st Scrimmage:

Belfry - 14
Gate City (Va) - 7 Final

2nd Scrimmage:

Belfry - 14
Richlands (Va) - 14 Final

3rd Scrimmage:

Belfry won 33-14
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Heard it was a very productive scrimmage.

As mentioned Belfry outscored Gate City 2-1... Belfry scored on a nice pass from Taylor to Catron and on a Joplin scamper. The GC TD came on a heavily subbed Belfry varsity.

Belfry was 2-2 with Richlands. One of the Richlands scores cames on the Belfry 1's on a screen pass...the other score on a heavily subbed varsity. Hatfield had an impressive TD run.

Belfry outscored George Wythe but a few scores and kept a revolving door of subs going.

Thoughts and obersvations I heard in next post
-Ray Horton was the best player on the field all night and unblockable. Said he looked like a man amongst boys and looked super impressive.
- Taylor looked pretty good and comfortable at QB. Threw a couple TD passes and looked pretty fluid and sharp.
- Very light work load for Hatfield at FB..very light. When he got it he was vintage Austin Hatfield but it was clear Haywood didn't want to risk his health and was more concerned seeing everyone else getting the reps.
- Hall played well at DE and the Scott kid had a nice showing. Said Scott is strong as an oxe on defense but will have to improve at finding the ball carrier instead of trying to simply dominate his man.
- Catron looked really good, especially at HB. Runs angry and attacks the hole.

The Negatives:
- Timing, as expected, simply isn't there yet offensively.
- The HB's have to break some bad habits. Too much stopping their momentum especially outside and too many times not attacking the hole. The talent is definitely there but they have to improve for the offense to flow.
- CB's had issues. Got beat more than you want... Front 7 was stout... but the DB's have to get better. Hazard will help that process.

Summary:
Good but not great performance. Great potential.

Team has A LOT to improve on but the majority of it is the same ole same ole this time of the year for Belfry. Get your timing down, improve pass defense, improve tackling, and the backs have to get more aggressive.

Haywood was extremely liberal with subbing and tried different looks and different plays to see how guys would react. Belfry is going to be stout... but they have a lot of work left to get back to the level you need to play at to reach Bowling Green.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Heard it was a very productive scrimmage.

As mentioned Belfry outscored Gate City 2-1... Belfry scored on a nice pass from Taylor to Catron and on a Joplin scamper. The GC TD came on a heavily subbed Belfry varsity.

Belfry was 2-2 with Richlands. One of the Richlands scores cames on the Belfry 1's on a screen pass...the other score on a heavily subbed varsity. Hatfield had an impressive TD run.

Belfry outscored George Wythe but a few scores and kept a revolving door of subs going.

Thoughts and obersvations I heard in next post

Congratulations Belfry. Hatfield has been an absolute beast on both sides of the ball since his Soph. campaign.
Would love to see a Belfry-Richlands series. Lots of tradition there.
Good to see Belfry play some really good out of state competition. Richlands isn't a pushover by any means.
I found this website informational . It says Richlands,VA is one of the most dominate teams in the state. Sounds like the young Pirates did well.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NwyLmQuDDke...ps-era.htm
EKUAlum05 Wrote:-Ray Horton was the best player on the field all night and unblockable. Said he looked like a man amongst boys and looked super impressive.
- Taylor looked pretty good and comfortable at QB. Threw a couple TD passes and looked pretty fluid and sharp.
- Very light work load for Hatfield at FB..very light. When he got it he was vintage Austin Hatfield but it was clear Haywood didn't want to risk his health and was more concerned seeing everyone else getting the reps.
- Hall played well at DE and the Scott kid had a nice showing. Said Scott is strong as an oxe on defense but will have to improve at finding the ball carrier instead of trying to simply dominate his man.
- Catron looked really good, especially at HB. Runs angry and attacks the hole.

The Negatives:
- Timing, as expected, simply isn't there yet offensively.
- The HB's have to break some bad habits. Too much stopping their momentum especially outside and too many times not attacking the hole. The talent is definitely there but they have to improve for the offense to flow.
- CB's had issues. Got beat more than you want... Front 7 was stout... but the DB's have to get better. Hazard will help that process.

Summary:
Good but not great performance. Great potential.

Team has A LOT to improve on but the majority of it is the same ole same ole this time of the year for Belfry. Get your timing down, improve pass defense, improve tackling, and the backs have to get more aggressive.

Haywood was extremely liberal with subbing and tried different looks and different plays to see how guys would react. Belfry is going to be stout... but they have a lot of work left to get back to the level you need to play at to reach Bowling Green.
To add to what EKU has already said, our pass defense looked really good. The only big play coming off the screen for a td. Everything EKU has said seemed pretty much dead on. Catron and Joplin as the two halfbacks seems to be the way to go. Both run really well. Defensively, we will be a force to be reckoned with, Horton, Whitt, Carr on D line. They stuffed the line all night. Not much going for opposing offenses up the middle that I can see this season.
skully03 Wrote:To add to what EKU has already said, our pass defense looked really good. The only big play coming off the screen for a td. Everything EKU has said seemed pretty much dead on. Catron and Joplin as the two halfbacks seems to be the way to go. Both run really well. Defensively, we will be a force to be reckoned with, Horton, Whitt, Carr on D line. They stuffed the line all night. Not much going for opposing offenses up the middle that I can see this season.

where was X,did he not play,i thought he was going to be the man this year.
Adding to original post, Gate City and George Whythe are pretty good as well. All three teams have captured Virginia state titles in recent years.
cuppett777 Wrote:where was X,did he not play,i thought he was going to be the man this year.
I actually forgot about X. He had a few decent runs but the two that stood out more was Joplin, and Catron. As you could tell by me letting him slip my mind. He actually was a started tonight. But most of the damage was done by Joplin and Catron. Taylor done real good running the option. Gonna be a weapon from the QB position throwing and running IMO.
cuppett777 Wrote:where was X,did he not play,i thought he was going to be the man this year.

X also had an interception according to Skully...Lots of kids played from what I hear and that is a real good thing IMO...I was trying to think how many kids went both ways. I know 3 of the secondary and maybe Scott played some O line too, but only 4-5 going both ways. I would think that may even decrease some when other kids get experience. I like the report of Scott's strength and the getting to the ball carrier and wrapping up will come with reps. Hall, Carr, Ray, Stanley, Sanger, and Whitt only play D. Nobody except Scott on the O line plays D. Those are big pluses IMO...Any reports of Joplin or Corbett playing D? Any reports of Fletcher or Varney or Hunter playing any.
bucslover68 Wrote:X also had an interception according to Skully...Lots of kids played from what I hear and that is a real good thing IMO...I was trying to think how many kids went both ways. I know 3 of the secondary and maybe Scott played some O line too, but only 4-5 going both ways. I would think that may even decrease some when other kids get experience. I like the report of Scott's strength and the getting to the ball carrier and wrapping up will come with reps. Hall, Carr, Ray, Stanley, Sanger, and Whitt only play D. Nobody except Scott on the O line plays D. Those are big pluses IMO...Any reports of Joplin or Corbett playing D? Any reports of Fletcher or Varney or Hunter playing any.
Yes. X did have a pic. It's hard for me to remember all that I texted. Lol. Joplin and Corbett did play some corner. As far as the others I'm not to sure. I'm pretty sure Fletcher wasn't on D any at all.
How did Sanger and Stanley play at LB? Who got the most snaps at WR? I assume it was Catron and Edwarda at Safety - but sounds like a revolving door at CB.

At the end of the day, if no one steps up Taylor can play it.
PaytoPlay Wrote:How did Sanger and Stanley play at LB? Who got the most snaps at WR? I assume it was Catron and Edwarda at Safety - but sounds like a revolving door at CB.

They ahead good at the LB spots. Like I had said before our run defense IMO is great. The D line with the LBs stopped it pretty much all night. A few instances of not wrapping up let a runner get free but not much. Taylor did play corner starting out.
^They did good
Real Badman Wrote:Adding to original post, Gate City and George Whythe are pretty good as well. All three teams have captured Virginia state titles in recent years.

Actually Richlands hasn't won a state title since they cheated their way to one in 1992.

Gate City n George Wythere good but play in Class A
Pirate4Life Wrote:I found this website informational . It says Richlands,VA is one of the most dominate teams in the state. Sounds like the young Pirates did well.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NwyLmQuDDke...ps-era.htm

Richlands is always pretty good but they haven't won a state title since 1992
PaytoPlay Wrote:How did Sanger and Stanley play at LB? Who got the most snaps at WR? I assume it was Catron and Edwarda at Safety - but sounds like a revolving door at CB.

Skully says he believes Woolum started at the other safety instead of Edwards. Someone can clarify if this is not right, but that is what he texted me last night. The corners were X and Keaton.
Hatz Wrote:Actually Richlands hasn't won a state title since they cheated their way to one in 1992.

Gate City is 2A
A few other things I heard:

Francis was held out. Having the anchor of the line and a guy I think that has been starting since 2004 will certainly help the timing out.

The Freshman Wellman looked good backing up Hatfield... Real good. Had a nice long TD run.

Asked specifically about the LBs and was told they need as many reps as possible. Had some issues on reads and taking the wrong angles. Said they should be fine but Hatfield may be called upon more than they would like until they get up to speed.

Woolum and Taylor hooked up on a pretty slant that was executed to perfection that went for 6

A negative that may bare watching is long snapping. Said in the limited sample size it didn't look real smooth with one super high and one super low.

Woolum was perfect on XPs and the younger kicker looked pretty good as well.

A funny comment was after the scrimmage they were up by the press box and a Richlands fan complimented Belfry on how good of a ball club they had. When they told the Richlands fan they only had 7 seniors and one didn't even play they were shocked. Haha.
Hatz Wrote:Actually Richlands hasn't won a state title since they cheated their way to one in 1992.

wow... use a cleat that's a little too long in a semi-final and some ppl. never let it go.
In fact, the Blues won state in 06 over Rockbridge Co., and were runners-up in 05, 07 & 10

Gate City was the 2010 2A state champions

George Whythe was the 2012 1A state champions

Richlands was the 2007 3A state champions

All three teams from Virginia are pretty good. Nobody really realizes how good Virginia football is, but then again Belfry is pretty good too.
^ Thanks RBM.

Hatz - you still mad bro? Wink
bucslover68 Wrote:X also had an interception according to Skully...Lots of kids played from what I hear and that is a real good thing IMO...I was trying to think how many kids went both ways. I know 3 of the secondary and maybe Scott played some O line too, but only 4-5 going both ways. I would think that may even decrease some when other kids get experience. I like the report of Scott's strength and the getting to the ball carrier and wrapping up will come with reps. Hall, Carr, Ray, Stanley, Sanger, and Whitt only play D. Nobody except Scott on the O line plays D. Those are big pluses IMO...Any reports of Joplin or Corbett playing D? Any reports of Fletcher or Varney or Hunter playing any.
Yes Fletcher played they had him at fullback They had Varney in at corner he went in and out on all three teams Wellman came and ran the ball really good.
VHSL-helper Wrote:wow... use a cleat that's a little too long in a semi-final and some ppl. never let it go.
In fact, the Blues won state in 06 over Rockbridge Co., and were runners-up in 05, 07 & 10

As to 06 I overlooked that one. Congrats.:Thumbs:
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Thanks RBM.

Hatz - you still mad bro? Wink

Only for 92. :betterthanexpected: