Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Tournament
Professional courtesy was not shown in this issue. It was underhanded. When the girls rotation comes up, Leslie and Jenkins will lose out next. There will be repercussions to those who initiated the lack of discussion.
Look for something like this to happen in baseball as well
You're right this might happen in both Girls basketball & Baseball. I think all sports should work on a district hosting rotation. The difference is the amount of places that can host every sport other than boys basketball is fairly high. I think what they did was great taking Hazard & LCC out of the rotation. Hazard is way to small, out dated, and zero parking. LCC did a very poor job of building their gym and parking as far as the rest of their facilities compare. Their gym is small with no parking.

As far as how the vote came about, I don't think either Hazard or LCC should have been surprised by this vote. Very few people like trying to go to Hazard and watch a game. Even few people are going to drive from places north of Hazard to watch a game at LCC with the chance of getting stuck in the parking lot for 30 minutes or have to stand on the rail to watch a game.
Very few people like driving to Powell Co, especially from the far eastern part the state. It's too far on a school/ work night.
blueandgoldfan Wrote:Very few people like driving to Powell Co, especially from the far eastern part the state. It's too far on a school/ work night.

I see. So it's okay for people from Powell, Estill, Wolfe, Owsley, etc, to drive a long distance to get to the games when the tournament is played at one of the 53rd or 54th schools but is a big no-no when the fans from the southern part of the region have to drive a long way to get to Powell once every 4 years. That's really a nice proposal if you live in the southern regional counties. Not so much for the 55th and 56th fans, though.
I don't believe Powell Co should be in the 14th Region with Letcher, Jenkins, etc., schools that are close to the state line. Obviously, everyone must take a turn at driving a long distance to games. However, it would not be so if the region was not so spread out.
Bluecat Wrote:Look for something like this to happen in baseball as well

I don't think it will. Region has been hosted by nine different schools at nine different fields over the last nine years. There have been many improvements- grass infields, lights, new fencing to many of the baseball facilities in the 14th region over the past 20-25 years. Not to mention Wolfe, Breathitt, LCC, and Estill built brand new facilities.
blueandgoldfan Wrote:I don't believe Powell Co should be in the 14th Region with Letcher, Jenkins, etc., schools that are close to the state line. Obviously, everyone must take a turn at driving a long distance to games. However, it would not be so if the region was not so spread out.

The 14th region is no more spread out than many of the other regions. Wayne County in the 12th region is not exactly next door to the Jessamine County schools. Clinton County in the 4th region is not a bedroom community to the Warren County schools. Same thing with Clark County in the 10th when they have to travel to Northern Kentucky or Mason County.

Powell's been in the 14th region since the 1940's. I don't see any reason in moving them out of the region now. Estill is just as far away from the Letcher schools as Powell. Do you want them out too? These schools have to be somewhere.
Maybe the Letcher schools would be more suitable for the 15th region. That could possibly shorten their driving time to games.