Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VanHoose quitting coaching?
Follow

Code:
Jamey Johnson
‏@jammin_jamey
Former Mr. Basketball @JRVanHoose has resigned as Phelps girls basketball coach. I wish him nothing but the best in future endeavors.

Looking over my twitter feed and saw this little bit of info.

Done coaching?

Respect what he has done at Phelps, not a good place to coach basketball for several reasons.
I believe he's headed somewhere else
zaga_fan Wrote:I believe he's headed somewhere else

I'm still teaching at Phelps just not coaching.
^There we have it
What happen VanHoose had some very good teams several years ago.I think 5 or 6 yrs ago. :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:What happen VanHoose had some very good teams several years ago.I think 5 or 6 yrs ago. :Cheerlead

Nothing happened. I'm moving. Just won't be able to dedicate the time I need to coach with a longer commute to work.
Who is in the running for the job
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Nothing happened. I'm moving. Just won't be able to dedicate the time I need to coach with a longer commute to work.

We bought a house in Paintsville, that's what happened! Woohoo! :Cheerlead :Thumbs:
There is a lot more to this story.
I don't know anything about this and it's none of my business, but I think this thread will need to be shut down very soon.
If JR wanted people to know more he would post here or release it in another way.
Nothing to say really. Selling my house in Pike Co. and I'm close to closing on one in Paintsville. Because of the long drive every day I just couldn't commit to coaching this year (late practices and games). I'm still teaching Social Studies at Phelps and I enjoy working there.
Wishing you nothing but success (and new tires) because a commute from Paintsville to Phelps everyday is a killer.
Pirate4Life Wrote:Wishing you nothing but success (and new tires) because a commute from Paintsville to Phelps everyday is a killer.

Well, let's just say I'm trying to find a car that gets good gas mileage (and one that I can fit in!! Hahahaha).
The head assistant from last year, Johnny Fields, was given the coaching job. He will do just fine with the ladies at Phelps.

And as far as someone saying there's more to the story -- how is there more to the story when J told you the truth himself? Lord.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Well, let's just say I'm trying to find a car that gets good gas mileage (and one that I can fit in!! Hahahaha).

You better go with a Hybrid cause that is a haul everyday! Good Luck!
Big Don Wrote:You better go with a Hybrid cause that is a haul everyday! Good Luck!

As long as I've got something with XM radio - I can't miss "Mike and Mike" in the morning or the "Dan LeBatard Show" in the afternoon!
I use to commute from Allen,Ky to West Liberty every day(about 60 miles). Did it for several years. It was miserable. I hate to say it friend but I tried to find a vehicle good on gas milage that a big fella could fit in comfortably but gave up:Sad04: I just folded up in a small "uncomfortable" one :HitWall:
Blacksmith Wrote:I use to commute from Allen,Ky to West Liberty every day(about 60 miles). Did it for several years. It was miserable. I hate to say it friend but I tried to find a vehicle good on gas milage that a big fella could fit in comfortably but gave up:Sad04: I just folded up in a small "uncomfortable" one :HitWall:

Don't say that!!!!! Ouch!
Sorry friend:biggrin: You have a good job you like, that will make a big difference. I was not liking mine at the time. That's what made it bad really. What I did honestly was to drive an old,samll beater to work. Like an old chevy spectrum etc..Just something cheap that I didn't care to wear out. I left the good vehicle at home..Im sure you know by now that finding a small vehicle to fit in "comfortably" is a challenge:biggrin: Good luck on your move! and congrats on the new house.
Blacksmith Wrote:Sorry friend:biggrin: You have a good job you like, that will make a big difference. I was not liking mine at the time. That's what made it bad really. What I did honestly was to drive an old,samll beater to work. Like an old chevy spectrum etc..Just something cheap that I didn't care to wear out. I left the good vehicle at home..Im sure you know by now that finding a small vehicle to fit in "comfortably" is a challenge:biggrin: Good luck on your move! and congrats on the new house.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I can find something comfortable to drive and I really can't complain. I work with great people and teach great students. I've had a few people in my family make long drives for work every day.
JR-- just wanted to say read the article about the Russian national team that that played in
Paintsville & went on to get gold medal (1972)in most controversial game ever played.
Very good & interesting article and enjoyed reading, looking forward to your next article.

Know you know this but the United States team has never accepted & have said they will
never accept their silver medal. Remember watching a show on ESPN & these guys said they will take the pain of that game to their graves.
doubledown Wrote:JR-- just wanted to say read the article about the Russian national team that that played in
Paintsville & went on to get gold medal (1972)in most controversial game ever played.
Very good & interesting article and enjoyed reading, looking forward to your next article.

Know you know this but the United States team has never accepted & have said they will
never accept their silver medal. Remember watching a show on ESPN & these guys said they will take the pain of that game to their graves.

Thanks!!!! I'm glad you liked it. I love to write and I'm planning on doing more of these articles in the future. I've been wanting to write like this for a while and now I have the opportunity. One of my biggest thrills has been meeting Kenny Davis, the captain of that 72 team and getting to talk with him about this experience.
Word on the street is that Johnson Central is about to get the big man on their coaching staff. If Tommy McKenzie pulls this off then I may just dance in the street!
amazing how things change, Les Trimble in Blue & White & now JR in Black & Gold.
I dont care about the rivalry in the least. If J.R. VanHoose wants to become an Eagle...... I'm all for it. I cant possibly see how he WOULDNT be an asset to any program. Arguably the best player to come out of the mountains in kentucky basketball history IMO