Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing Game in the MTs,
I met the new South Laurel coach today, I was impressed, His coaching experience is excellent, he came from an area that is, maybe the best college football producing areas in the country North Florida, South Georgia.
I think South Laurel got A good one, I was just thinking that we here in Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Corbin, Williamsburg and UC have coaches that are as good as anywhere in the state. We can add some assistants that could head coach anywhere. Just think, Larkey good coach Jim Black is as good as they come North Laurel, Choach Haddix and Greer, Corbin. Coach Herron and Hatcher, Williamsburg, Coach Chaplain and Woods, Whitley. I predict that we can get ready for some AIR RAIDS, I think you can get ready to see Corbin, Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Put the ball in the Air, Williamsburg we know Gets off the bus throwing, You fans are going to love it. I hope it works now, but if it doesn't just give it A little time. YOU ARE IN FOR A RIDE.
You cannot live by air only. You have to be balanced.
topnotch Wrote:I met the new South Laurel coach today, I was impressed, His coaching experience is excellent, he came from an area that is, maybe the best college football producing areas in the country North Florida, South Georgia.
I think South Laurel got A good one, I was just thinking that we here in Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Corbin, Williamsburg and UC have coaches that are as good as anywhere in the state. We can add some assistants that could head coach anywhere. Just think, Larkey good coach Jim Black is as good as they come North Laurel, Choach Haddix and Greer, Corbin. Coach Herron and Hatcher, Williamsburg, Coach Chaplain and Woods, Whitley. I predict that we can get ready for some AIR RAIDS, I think you can get ready to see Corbin, Whitley, South Laurel, North Laurel, Put the ball in the Air, Williamsburg we know Gets off the bus throwing, You fans are going to love it. I hope it works now, but if it doesn't just give it A little time. YOU ARE IN FOR A RIDE.

MT's? Chappell:insane:
mysonis55 Wrote:You cannot live by air only. You have to be balanced.

I agree. I love to air it out but also love a power running game. you have to keep the defense on their heels, and it is more difficult to do if they know what is coming. :HitWall:
That has been why we have done so well. It also was the key to Hazard's success in 2011.
What in the world does passing game mean? I thought that was illegal?
We used to think so as well. That was until about 2006.
Mayfield is not in the mts. Confusedhh:
Demographically speaking, throwing the ball in south GA and FL is a wee bit different from doing the same in southeastern KY. Just put a little more air under that Air Raid, I guess.

I do wish all the Corbin-area teams well this fall, though. Looking forward to the season.
I didn't say we were in the mountains dufus. He said I thought passing was illegal. I just said we used to think so as well. A few less beers before posting 64.
bear claw Wrote:What in the world does passing game mean? I thought that was illegal?

:biglmao:
mysonis55 Wrote:I didn't say we were in the mountains dufus. He said I thought passing was illegal. I just said we used to think so as well. A few less beers before posting 64.

I may need to start back drinking this year C-A-B-R-O-N 55 just saying know need to get upset....You starting to sound like ( KILLER IN THE SUN ) :popcorn:
I'm not upset. I just think it is harmful to drink and post.
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm not upset. I just think it is harmful to drink and post.

And I think Mayfield is not a mts team that's all I was saying. Now that could be harmful to eastern Kentucky. Confusederiously:
Kentucky.

The only place where going .500, yet running the spread receives more approval than winning more, yet throwing far less.

Has there ever been a "These guys throw the ball to much and need to run it more thread"? For the record..I love watching the Texas Techs of the world..LOVE.
It's ok when it works. It ain't do good when it don't.
I won Best receiver at Belfry my Senior year and when I look at that trophy I feel guilty because we threw like 3 passes all year long....lol
North florida?? I think u mean south. Most coaches are smart enough to do what their team is capable of doing. Those areas you mentioned have multitudes of athletes. They can challenge each other in practice by working on the passing game and competing for positions (esp QB). Most mountain teams do good to find 3-4 really good skilled kids.
I think overall that teams that are balanced are much more dangerous, but outlier teams like Belfry and occasionally Lone Oak in 2009, prove you can win or get to a state championship game. Belfry usually doesn't get beat by the spread teams because they can normally shut down one aspect of their offense whether it is the pass or run. It is teams like Johnson Central who can ram it down your throat which cause them problems, or teams like Central who can line it up and run it straight at you and then pass a little bit. I prefer the ground and pound of Belfry, but a lot of people like the flash of the spread. Ironically enough, some of Haywood's best teams at BHS in '85 and '86 had more passing than his normal teams. They had a dandy QB in Dwayne Francisco.
bucslover68 Wrote:I think overall that teams that are balanced are much more dangerous, but outlier teams like Belfry and occasionally Lone Oak in 2009, prove you can win or get to a state championship game. Belfry usually doesn't get beat by the spread teams because they can normally shut down one aspect of their offense whether it is the pass or run. It is teams like Johnson Central who can ram it down your throat which cause them problems, or teams like Central who can line it up and run it straight at you and then pass a little bit. I prefer the ground and pound of Belfry, but a lot of people like the flash of the spread. Ironically enough, some of Haywood's best teams at BHS in '85 and '86 had more passing than his normal teams. They had a dandy QB in Dwayne Francisco.

as long as you keep the defense guessing and dont let them stack the box on you because they know what's coming. its easier to run through a hole in the wall than it is to run through the wall Confusednicker:
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Kentucky.

The only place where going .500, yet running the spread receives more approval than winning more, yet throwing far less.

Has there ever been a "These guys throw the ball to much and need to run it more thread"? For the record..I love watching the Texas Techs of the world..LOVE.

I and a lot of Highlands fans would jump on that thread quickly. Hard to argue with their success, but HHS fans have been left scratching their heads many times wondering why we do not do a little more running and less passing. We will see a lot of running from the QB this year as opposed to last year.
Throwing the FB you have to start when they are young and teach two skill positions
QB and Receivers, You must also have a good OL coach that knows and understands pass protection. The MT teams in most cases throw out of desperation, 3rd and 15 or a trick play halfback pass. If you do not believe in it you can't coach it...period if you throw because you want to verses you have to anyone can do it. I often wonder when I see the Mt teams run over other Mt teams how good they could be if they threw the ball. Kids at an early dream of being the Qb, I wonder how many QBs that would have been great from MT, teams, ended their careers after the last game in HS because colleges do not want HS QBs just because they really hand the football off well. Have you ever watched a team warm up before a game they run the best routes and the Qb is right on target and he must throw it a 100 times but when the kick off starts the game they may throw it 3 or 4 times and every person in the stands know they are going to do it. I truly believe that MT teams are are missing the boat.
I think it is going to change with the new coaches coming in I* also believe you all are going to love it.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:North florida?? I think u mean south. Most coaches are smart enough to do what their team is capable of doing. Those areas you mentioned have multitudes of athletes. They can challenge each other in practice by working on the passing game and competing for positions (esp QB). Most mountain teams do good to find 3-4 really good skilled kids.

NO I mean it, North Florida, South Georgia.
Stay in the bone on the east side. Please , stay in the bone.
mysonis55 Wrote:Stay in the bone on the east side. Please , stay in the bone.

Most 1A teams in the East run the spread.

In fact... of the three teams Mayfield has met in the Finals in recent years only Fairview was a run only team... Hazard and Wburg were both the epitome of spread teams.
For the record I made a lengthy post about this in the Lawrence County thread... in the grand picture it comes down to your system and overall program much more than your scheme.

This isn't college where you can find the exact players you want to fill out your team, you have a finite talent pool and the best programs are the ones who can maintain consistency from the feeder level up, play to their strengths, and assure that they execute.

Some of the best programs in the entire country run out of the bone or the Wing T and have a playbook with less than 10 plays they use. The problem with the spread is a lot of teams simply don't have the personnel or install their offense using players who most of their life ran something entirely different.

It doesn't matter what you do...what matters is how well you do it and if you can repeat it. When you try to use a massive playbook at the HS level simply you are taking time away from the repetition needed to execute fluidly. As a result instead of some greta balanced offensive machine you get an offense that can run 30 plays, but can only run them in a very mediocre manner.

IMHO, if you have the time to instill it and the players to use it the perfect HS offense is the offense Gus Malzahn became famous for in Arkansas and now is using at Auburn. Spread the field but 75% of the time you are simply running a triple option using a dual threat QB, and strong RB, and a lightning quick slot man going in motion. Then you are rushing the tempo to never give the Defense a chance to sub or adjust.
mysonis55 Wrote:I didn't say we were in the mountains dufus. He said I thought passing was illegal. I just said we used to think so as well. A few less beers before posting 64.
64Sur ain't drinking but he might have a "Illegel Smile"
OldJacket Wrote:64Sur ain't drinking but he might have a "Illegel Smile"

I have a big legal smile Oldjacket. :blonded: