Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Parts Uknown...
For some wrestlers.... being from Parts Unknown suits their character.

Others, not so much.

Can you imagine Hogan being billed from Parts Unknown
But the Ultimate Warrior being billed from Hollywood, CA.
30 years ago, when we had Marks, Parts unknown worked. Today, it works for no one. Comic book booking is over and it's doubtful that we will ever see a major wrestling company ever go back to the days of over-the-top gimmicks.

Today, the Undertaker would never work. He came along at a time where wrestling was still written for those who "just didn't know". Nobody would give two shits about Gold Dust.

Today, fans want to be smart and actually turn a gimmick into THEIR gimmick. Today's fans have had more to do with dictating who a guy is and whether his gimmick works than ever before.

Daniel Bryan was being punished and the WWE honestly thought that his look was not THEIR look. They put him with Kane, because they had no idea what to do with him. That move took Kan's popularity back to the levels it was when he battled taker alongside Paul Bearer. But it took Bryan's star to what all of us who loved him in the Indies knew he could be. With a simple "Yes" and then a simple "NO", the Fans have made Bryan the biggest that this industry has ever seen when it comes to fan participation.

Bray Wyatt, they wanted to make Evil, now the fans cheer for him!

They wanted Batista to be the FACE and take some of the pressure off of Cena to let him get some rest over this summer! The fans shot that down, because in real life, they sided with CM Punk and every week they let the WWE know about it with the CM Punk chants.

Back to the original question, Parts Unknown is so passe, I really didn't care about it then, and I don't care about it now.

Parts Unknown versus Chicago, New York, or LA, didn't make me think that Ultimate Warrior, Papa Shango, Demolition, The Missing Link, George the Animal Steel - were anymore mysterious than their gimmick.

Parts Unknown meant no more to me than it was just BS, the exact same way that I knew that Hulk Hogan was not from Venice Beach CA and the Road Warriors were not from Chicago! Today, if they said that Brock Lesnar was from NYC, versus Minneapolis or Parts Unknown, the fans would just yawn at it!
Dusty, I was a big Road Warriors fan and they come from Minnesotea. In their DVD Animals says they both moved to Chicago as teenagers. Was that b.s.?
Like Jeff Jarrett being from "Music City U.S.A"
Or Ted DiBiase changing his location depending on the season.

I think wrestling fans "bought in" to the characters more in the 80's and 90's.
To be honest... I was NEVER on the over the top junk.

Seeing The Undertaker get his power from an urn and Kane shooting fire with his "powers" never really sat well with me.
Westside Wrote:Dusty, I was a big Road Warriors fan and they come from Minnesotea. In their DVD Animals says they both moved to Chicago as teenagers. Was that b.s.?

100% BS. They never lived in Chicago. They were discovered when they were bouncers in their hometown of Minneapolis. So no, they never did live in Chicago.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Like Jeff Jarrett being from "Music City U.S.A"
Or Ted DiBiase changing his location depending on the season.

I think wrestling fans "bought in" to the characters more in the 80's and 90's.

YOU THINK??????

Umm, not much SMARKS in the 80's. The only dirtsheets in the 80's were pieces of paper that fell on the ground!