Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan Co. Looking For New Head Coach
Per The Morehead News, Rowan County football coach Kyle Singleton has resigned to take an assistants position at Danville.
They already have the next head coach in the system. This was step one.
Ray Graham posted as the "interim head coach" this morning less than 24 hours later. Has this been in the works?
Rowan will not find a better man and one that will work harder. Great leader and coach. A sort of homecoming he played a MSU. I really hope it works out for Coach Graham.
An odd situation though, Coach Graham was brought on shortly after the New Yr and given the title of permenant sub at Rowan County. Wish the best to Coach Singleton, the admiral nation and Coach Clevenger got a great addition to their program
An odd situation though. Coach Graham was hired shortly after the begining of the New Year as the permanent sub at RCSHS. I know his resume speaks for itself just the timing seems strange, but in coaching nothing should suprise us anymore. Want to wish Coach Singleton good luck in his new job, Coach Clevenger and admiral nation got a good pick up for their program.
He has applied for nearly every opening around the state. Ray will do a good job and may actually stick around for a while.
He may do a great job, but the entire thing looks very shady and reflects very pooy on all parties involved.
The old coach had been saying for a while he was leaving. Everyone knew it was going to happen. He was not fired or ask to leave. Nothing more than that. I promise you one thing Ray Graham would never hurt anyone, and never do anything shady.
This would be Ray Graham second round at being the head coach at Rowan Co. He posted records in 1980 6-4, 1981 11-1, 1982 7-6, and 11 wins is the most in Rowan Co. history. In '82 and '81 Rowan Co. finished in the Regional finals both seasons in 2A. Rowan Co. would be in good hands if they have Ray Graham as head coach.
So you're saying this guy willingly gave up a Head Coaching job to move somewhere else and be an assistant? I'm having a hard time buying that.
Jackson05 Wrote:So you're saying this guy willingly gave up a Head Coaching job to move somewhere else and be an assistant? I'm having a hard time buying that.

Why not? Because making literally a handfull of thousand dollars more, dealing with more crap, and coaching at a place where you might have ONE good year every 5-6 is so much better than being an assistant at one of our states traditional power houses, probably close to the same amount as money and less headache is that much of a difference?

I can name several former head coaches who resigned to go be assistants somewhere else, then became a HC again.

Chris Engstrand left Henry County after the '09 season to go be the OC at North Hardin in 2010, then became the HC at Fairdale and now Green County.

Marty Jaggers left Lincoln County in the mid 90's to go be an assistant at Danville for several years before becoming a HC again at Mercer County.

Jerry Perry left Garrard County about the same time as Jaggers to go to Danville, and has been there since just now taking the HC job again at Garrard.

Doug Preston left Bullitt East two years after leading them to the State Finals to go be an assistant at North Hardin in 2011, then took the Franklin-Simpson job in 2012.

Jeff Hester left Garrard County a few years later after taking over for Perry to go join Boyle County, where he has been for the past 11-12 years, and has ran the defense the last 6 or so.

Billy Goldsmith left Lawrence County after his 2nd stint as their HC to go join Boyle County.

...that crap isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially at a average to below average programs where you scratch and claw just to be average, to below average. Busting your tail over the long haul just to have one or two good years spread out isn't worth it. Being an assistant at a program that wins and gives a flip is much more enjoyable than being a HC at one that doesnt.
Its my understanding that the interim title has been removed and he has been named permanent Head Coach. Is this true??
Quickkickonthird Wrote:Its my understanding that the interim title has been removed and he has been named permanent Head Coach. Is this true??
No surprise here. I was more suprised he had the interim title to begin with.
Ray Graham is a class act
Quickkickonthird Wrote:Its my understanding that the interim title has been removed and he has been named permanent Head Coach. Is this true??

It is printed that Rowan is accepting applications for Head Football Coach until around April 25. So not sure that it is finalized yet.
There is a mandatory 30 day period that the job must be posted.
Interim coach, asking for assistants, doesnt sound like an open job to me.
I agree that it is sometimes more fulfilling to be an assistant coach
How is the transition to coach Graham going?
crazysprtgy Wrote:How is the transition to coach Graham going?

Pretty smoothly, this is the year Graham and the Vikings get over the hump!
Thrillex Wrote:Pretty smoothly, this is the year Graham and the Vikings get over the hump!

You realize Ray was fired less than a month ago, right?
This job is a train wreck. What they did to Graham will be some awesome karma when it comes back around. Can't wait to watch.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:This job is a train wreck. What they did to Graham will be some awesome karma when it comes back around. Can't wait to watch.

So was this Karma with Graham/Henry Co.?
Thrillex Wrote:So was this Karma with Graham/Henry Co.?

I am sure some will say maybe but given the fact that Graham has already landed on a college staff makes me think they did him a favor.
What was the deal with Graham and Henry County?