Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Jv Teams in the 15th
Not alot of talk about Our younger players in the mountains whats some of the up and coming talent around the 15th????
Just curious, and not taking a shot (because I am a coach), but how can you justify how good a JV or a Freshman team is? Schools that are successful, play our best players at the Varsity level. For our programs, our Freshman record (win/loss) is below .500, our JV is not much better, but our Varsity consistently is a top level regional team! We just graduated a Varsity football team with a senior laden group that did not win a single game as Freshmen! We that group of player played JV as Frosh, and Varsity as Soph's! They won District 3 out of four years!

Bottonline, JV success with wins and losses likely means that that team is playing teams whose best players are playing at the Varsity level.

Please help me understand how JV wins translates into Varsity wins, because my experience does not prove that logic out, and I've been around for a long time.
Ive noticed that alot of teams have been playing middle school kids on there jv and freshman teams
That's exactly right Stardust! Most always the good underclass men play up and don't really play much Fresh/JV. Most schools now are pulling up there middle school kids to play fresh/JV which I really like because I think it gets them ready early.
ballstar Wrote:That's exactly right Stardust! Most always the good underclass men play up and don't really play much Fresh/JV. Most schools now are pulling up there middle school kids to play fresh/JV which I really like because I think it gets them ready early.

I agree on the bolded part. It most certainly benefits the younger kids playing against older & better competition. My only worry with this is when the kids play a full middle school schedule and a freshman/jv schedule not to mention most play in a summer league. Is this to much for a kid? Will they get burnt out on basketball all together?

Dusty is right. JV/freshman win and loss record really means squat because the best of the younger class is playing varsity. These games are basically a controlled practice to continue the development of the younger guys. Which of course is needed and a good thing for the kids.
Well I will pick a JV team Lawrence County...If their varsity team play JV. :truestory:
From what I have seen over the years is that kids are playing WAY to many games instead of working on individual skill set. I'm a firm believer in individual skills training. I think it gives the athlete time to get better as an individual which in turn can make the overall team better the following year. AAU is great for the kids but 20 weekends a year plus season and summer ball is just to much. I can see if they play 5/6 weekend tourneys plus a national tourney but much more than that is just to much and to much money for parents. As a parent I want the bang for my buck and I truly believe that's in a gym getting kids all the individual instruction they can take.
Stardust already beat me too it, but I was going to be mean about it.

Wink
I agree with players playing too many basketball games. I think good young talent peak too early due to so many games played. I think basketball needs a dead period with no basketball period being played so they can rest or enjoy another sport and not get burned out.
If programs are done the right way there is not a need for so many games, nor the need for so many you players to be playing up. In some cases with small schools and student bodies to pull from yes you would have to have them play up, but there are a lot of kids out there that are sophomores and juniors that see little time in the varsity but still do not play JV. The 15th is about to get back on track with its freshman league that for a few years only included a few teams, but I noticed in those years that there were freshman that were playing JV and limited varsity minutes that weren't playing freshman ball. The AAU circuit is so crowded these days because kids want to play, but there are plenty of opportunities to play within your program if done right and you can get without getting burned out, and quality of games and instruction is IMO better than quantity of games.
^Very well said. I agree.
Stardust Wrote:Just curious, and not taking a shot (because I am a coach), but how can you justify how good a JV or a Freshman team is? Schools that are successful, play our best players at the Varsity level. For our programs, our Freshman record (win/loss) is below .500, our JV is not much better, but our Varsity consistently is a top level regional team! We just graduated a Varsity football team with a senior laden group that did not win a single game as Freshmen! We that group of player played JV as Frosh, and Varsity as Soph's! They won District 3 out of four years!

Bottonline, JV success with wins and losses likely means that that team is playing teams whose best players are playing at the Varsity level.

Please help me understand how JV wins translates into Varsity wins, because my experience does not prove that logic out, and I've been around for a long time.

Exactly!! I was thinking the same thing when I saw the topic. I see you have beat me to the punch. But if a father wants to get some info I understand the post.
^ Excellent follow-up post.

You are right, and I honestly did not mean to try and under value the question that was posed. I completely support wanting to brag (or better yet, see someone else brag) about our children, but I had to weigh in on the value of wins and losses for any other level than Varsity when it comes to High School Sports.

When we are talking about Frosh and JV sports, the playing field is not equal. We only can compare talent levels at the Varsity when so many of our underclassmen are playing at the Highest level.

I come from a 6A school with three levels for every boys sport. For baseball, we have 100 athletes tryout every year, thus we are cutting more than half that number. We do let 8th graders tryout out, and keep no more than a handful. Even that said, we have Frosh that start with our JV and sometimes even at the varsity level every year. Our Frosh and JV teams suffer every year because we are putting the best athletes where they can compete at their best.

Someone else said it better than I earlier, but my situation is even rarer than schools smaller than 6A size. Most schools are filling their JV teams with 7,8th and Freshmen. How can you then say that a JV team filled with Sophomores and even in rare cases some Jr's getting innings, is a good team because they are beating teams that don't have mature enough athletes to compete at that level. We return 8 juniors on our baseball team that were starters or played key innings. EIGHT - that's a lot for a team that lost 1-0 in the Regional finals. Our JV team was no better than .500 last year. Had those eight played JV as sophomores last year, I'd venture to say that they may have played .900 ball.

So, I'm not discounting the question, just stating that answering that question for any sport cannot be based on wins/losses.

I hope the originator of this thread does not take offense, but maybe has a better understanding of most on here's point.