Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impact of officiating changes on AAU games
Will the new rules governing officiating in college basketball have a big impact on AAU games? Most AAU games are expected to be completed in 1hr so the tournaments and games can remain on schedule. I have always attributed the large number of "no calls" and roughness of these games to the need to keep foul counts down and the games moving along. How will AAU tournaments adjust or will they? Will there be any impact at all on these tournaments and how the games are called?
You answered your own question. These games have to move along. There will be no fouls called as usual.
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:Will the new rules governing officiating in college basketball have a big impact on AAU games? Most AAU games are expected to be completed in 1hr so the tournaments and games can remain on schedule. I have always attributed the large number of "no calls" and roughness of these games to the need to keep foul counts down and the games moving along. How will AAU tournaments adjust or will they? Will there be any impact at all on these tournaments and how the games are called?

That's a really good question! I've always had an hatred for AAU officiating because they will make an extremely terrible call just to keep from going to OT so that games can move along. From watching college/high school games so far this year their is no way a game will b over n an hour or less. If they keep it the way it's going right now you had better give at least an hour and 30 mins per game.
ballstar Wrote:That's a really good question! I've always had an hatred for AAU officiating because they will make an extremely terrible call just to keep from going to OT so that games can move along. From watching college/high school games so far this year their is no way a game will b over n an hour or less. If they keep it the way it's going right now you had better give at least an hour and 30 mins per game.

But I don't see the tournament directors wanting that to happen. My belief always was that all the hand checking and body contact was created by AAU ball where almost anything was let go for the sacrifice of the time allotment. I'm just wondering now if college officiating will now filter down and force a more civilized but lengthier AAU game? I'm sure time will tell but AAU ball could be forced to drastically change.
I really hope so. I think this rule will end up being a lot better for the offensive player because I think he/she will have better passing/driving and shooting lanes. If you have a player w/ good ball handling skills they will b almost impossible to guard. Should make it a little more fun to watch the game especially on offense. I truly think players will adjust!
One would only hope that some players will develop much better defensive skills and equally improve in that area also. Be a much different game to watch as players develop superior defensive skills also.
I think it will really help catch and shoot kids. They can create space because the defense can't touch them.
AAU basketball is the root of all evil.