Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High School Player dies after brain injury.
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/99667...fered-game

A high school football player in Arizona died from an injury suffered during the fourth quarter of a blowout playoff loss, serving as yet another reminder of the dangers of head trauma in youth sports.

Hopi High School senior Charles Youvella died of a traumatic brain injury Monday at a hospital, the Arizona Interscholastic Association said. He was hurt Saturday in Hopi's 60-6 loss to Arizona Lutheran in a first-round playoff game. Youvella scored Hopi's touchdown.
Quick question. Why do we continue to villify football? We all know that kids get hurt and its tragic. Kids get hurt riding skateboards, driving cars and riding 4 wheelers or dirtbikes among a million other things. I did a google search for "teen tramatic brain injury" along with some things about football there are articles on car accidents and skateboard accidents. I see that you highlighted the score and that it was a first round game. Would it have been any different if the score was 23-22? A brain injury is a brain injury right. I guess what you were trying to get at was that it was lopsided and shouldnt be played. What about these district games that are lopsided? Should they just not be played? Whats the solution here? I just get tired of football getting a bad wrap while all the other things that kill teens and hurt teens and kids get a free pass.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/99667...fered-game

A high school football player in Arizona died from an injury suffered during the fourth quarter of a blowout playoff loss, serving as yet another reminder of the dangers of head trauma in youth sports.

Hopi High School senior Charles Youvella died of a traumatic brain injury Monday at a hospital, the Arizona Interscholastic Association said. He was hurt Saturday in Hopi's 60-6 loss to Arizona Lutheran in a first-round playoff game. Youvella scored Hopi's touchdown.
Not to mix politics and football but....

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh, who is a huge football fan, a few years ago. He said with all the concussion stuff and liberal media constantly badgering the gam, he predicted football as we knew it would be gone in less than 10 years. I remember thinking, naaaa, what's he talking about? He could of not been more right.
johnnyd Wrote:Quick question. Why do we continue to villify football? We all know that kids get hurt and its tragic. Kids get hurt riding skateboards, driving cars and riding 4 wheelers or dirtbikes among a million other things. I did a google search for "teen tramatic brain injury" along with some things about football there are articles on car accidents and skateboard accidents. I see that you highlighted the score and that it was a first round game. Would it have been any different if the score was 23-22? A brain injury is a brain injury right. I guess what you were trying to get at was that it was lopsided and shouldnt be played. What about these district games that are lopsided? Should they just not be played? Whats the solution here? I just get tired of football getting a bad wrap while all the other things that kill teens and hurt teens and kids get a free pass.

The bolded underlined is the point I was trying to get across.
Just didn't get to type the other post fast enough.
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=166494

I started this thread and some other posters have made the same comments about the 1st round games between the 1 and 4 seeds being cancelled.
I agree. We had a kid collapse and die from playing basketball here a few years ago. Not very much said about that. There have been several deaths in football as well. Those from heat or getting hit in the head or chest with a baseball. Nothing gets said about those. But my gosh, if it is football, totally different. Maybe this kid was wearing a helmet that fit wrong. Maybe he was leading with his head. Maybe he should have come out sooner. I don't want to see any kid hurt, but we haven't had one killed around here in football. We have however had many on 4 wheelers and automobile accidents. Too many of them. One is too many but, I do think people are attacking this sport way too much. If you take it away, how many lives are going to be affected. For some kids this is all they have in life.
mysonis55 Wrote:I agree. We had a kid collapse and die from playing basketball here a few years ago. Not very much said about that. There have been several deaths in football as well. Those from heat or getting hit in the head or chest with a baseball. Nothing gets said about those. But my gosh, if it is football, totally different. Maybe this kid was wearing a helmet that fit wrong. Maybe he was leading with his head. Maybe he should have come out sooner. I don't want to see any kid hurt, but we haven't had one killed around here in football. We have however had many on 4 wheelers and automobile accidents. Too many of them. One is too many but, I do think people are attacking this sport way too much. If you take it away, how many lives are going to be affected. For some kids this is all they have in life.
Same here, 4 wheelers have hurt/killed more than football ever has
:dudecomeon:my heart goes out to the family however some blame should be on the coach for not seeing he was hurting and by not pulling him out sooner!:biglmao:
sandybastrd27 Wrote::dudecomeon:my heart goes out to the family however some blame should be on the coach for not seeing he was hurting and by not pulling him out sooner!:biglmao:

Why did you put a :biglmao: in a thread about a kid dying?????

:lame: :dudecomeon:
Tragic tragic story. I cant imagine and hope I never have to bury one of my children. My heart goes out to the family, program and the entire community.

Football isn't going anywhere. More and more changes/restrictions will be set in place, but it's not going anywhere. The parents who are smart enough to realize all of the other things out there that are more dangerous than football will continue to let their kids play. Those that see the big picture aren't going anywhere.

The kids and parents that are effected by these stories are the ones who are sitting on the fence about football as is.
mysonis55 Wrote:I agree. We had a kid collapse and die from playing basketball here a few years ago. Not very much said about that. There have been several deaths in football as well. Those from heat or getting hit in the head or chest with a baseball. Nothing gets said about those. But my gosh, if it is football, totally different. Maybe this kid was wearing a helmet that fit wrong. Maybe he was leading with his head. Maybe he should have come out sooner. I don't want to see any kid hurt, but we haven't had one killed around here in football. We have however had many on 4 wheelers and automobile accidents. Too many of them. One is too many but, I do think people are attacking this sport way too much. If you take it away, how many lives are going to be affected. For some kids this is all they have in life.

You said it all, too. The most dangerous thing that we all do is getting in a car everyday, especially teenagers.
. I'm sure there has been studies on the impact a soccer ball has bouncing of those kids heads all year. Does anyone know of such a study and what the results were?
mightydog Wrote:. I'm sure there has been studies on the impact a soccer ball has bouncing of those kids heads all year. Does anyone know of such a study and what the results were?

NBC Nightly News ran a story about a year ago about the number of concussions suffered yearly in soccer. It was exponentially higher than the number of the same injury in football.....
Wildcat1 Wrote:NBC Nightly News ran a story about a year ago about the number of concussions suffered yearly in soccer. It was exponentially higher than the number of the same injury in football.....
How does boxing get a pass then. You get your head wailed on for 12, 3 minute rounds. Taking hundreds of blows. Some fighters fight 50 fights, not counting all the daily sparring and training. What happens to all these boxers?? They aren't all like Muhammad Ali are they?
Football Junky Wrote:How does boxing get a pass then. You get your head wailed on for 12, 3 minute rounds. Taking hundreds of blows. Some fighters fight 50 fights, not counting all the daily sparring and training. What happens to all these boxers?? They aren't all like Muhammad Ali are they?

Oops.... never mind. Misread what you wrote.