Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a "Down year" ?
People in these parts have been saying Owensboro Catholic was "down" this year after they lost two games in a row back in September. They have reeled off 6 straight to finish 8-2, have a QB that is third leading passer in the state in Houston Hartz, and undefeated in a 6 team district. Coming from back to back undefeated regular seasons I guess 8-2 would be a "down" year, but I suspect most teams would love that record.

What is a down year to everyone else? :HitWall:
Depends on a teams track record over say 5 years. If a team had gone undefeated for three consecutive seasons and then went 8-2. Although spoiled, a fan base, could say it was a down year.

I wouldn't consider 8-2 a down year, simply folks expressing disappointment maybe due to unrealistic expectations.

The flip side is a 2-8 team that finishes 4-6 the next season. 4-6 may upset a lot of other programs, but.....

Good luck to your team Hollywood and don't let the turkeys get you down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
when your competition is having an "up" year
Anything less than a State Championship.:biggrin:
I'll use Johnson Central for an example...

In 2000, we went 11-1. Had our first ever 10-0 regular season, our first ever district championship.

2001, we went 2-8; 2002 we went 2-8; 2003 we went 1-9. Football had fell of the map.

Now a days, anything less than 8+ wins in the regular season and atleast 3 playoff games is considered a "down year"

My how things can change in 10 years.........
They must have had far more problems than looking a few key players for the wheels to have fallen off so fast. A school the size of NVIDIA usually have enough athletes cycling in every couple of years to prevent a major dropout like that.
Of course it varies from team to team but for Boyle County I would say the same thing Pulp Fiction said, and that is, that anything less than 8+ wins and 3 playoff games is considered "down".
sstack Wrote:Anything less than a State Championship.:biggrin:

My thought exactly!

Hopefully there are some down years in the very near future for the Bluebirds then. :1:

Mayfield's one and only goal for the year is to win the State Championship. District and Regional titles don't mean anything.