Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWF 1993.... The End of an Era???
I have said for the longest time that 1993 was the End of an Era. The 1980's wrestling boom was pretty over (Duh, big red truck). All the previous main eventers were being slowly moved down the card. New wrestlers were trying to be 'pushed'.

There was no Saturday Night's Main Event or no The Main Event broadcasts.

The only TV programming that was aired was Prime Time Wrestling, Superstars of Wrestling, Wrestling Challenge and Mania.

The 1993 Royal Rumble was won by Yokozuna giving him a major push as a 'monster heel'. Bret Hart was the WWF champion. Snooze-fest.

WrestleMania IX (The worst WrestleMania in history) saw eight snooze-filled matches with one 'spur of the moment' match saw a black-eyed Hulk Hogan beating Yokozuna for the WWF title.

The first ever King of the Ring event was held. This was a snooze-fest as well. Yokozuna beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF title. And Bret Hart won the first ever King of the Ring title. Another Snooze-fest.

SummerSlam 1993 was just as bad as WrestleMania IX. After a major build up between Lex Luger and Yokozuna.... the match ended in a countout. No other matches worth talking about happened. Yokozuna is still WWF champion. One of the worst SummerSlam events in history. Major Snooze-fest.

Survivor Series 1993 saw four 'Survivor' style matches and one tag team contest for the Smokey Mountain Tag Team titles. Once again, one of the worst Survivor Series on record.

There was three video games released in 1993... WWF Royal Rumble for Sega and Super NES. Which was terrible (I still have my copy for the sega). And WWF Rage in the Cage for Sega CD. WWF King of the Ring for NES and GameBoy.

The Hasbro line of wrestling figures was pretty much a joke from the start. Series 5, 6 and 7 was released along with some WWF magazine "mail away" exclusives.

IMO, the only bright spot that happened to the WWF in 1993 was the inception of Monday Night Raw.
I can't believe nobody hasn't replied to this so far.....

Or atleast made a comment about it......
I will admit that around that same time is when I stopped following wrestling.
It was the end of AN era. 1980 was the actual end of the regional promotions. Once NWA went on WTBS on Saturday nights, the wrestling industry was FOREVER changed. Had Him Barnett had the foresight to push the envelope that Vince did, it would have been the NWA who would still be around. Let's not forget, it was NWA who was on the first national cable network. It was the NWA who was first on PPV.

As for the biggest end of era to date in wrestling???? It was the end of the Monday Night Wars was the end of an era! Wrestling was at it's all-time greatest heights, probably to never be seen again. But end of an era, well, there are THOUSANDS of end of era's in the professional wrestling business.