Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry's Randy Casey Resigns
Coach Casey has resigned to look for future career opportunities. A great guy and a friend of mine, hate to see him go but look forward to seeing what he does next. While his Facebook post and his message to news media (WYMT, local papers) says that Mark Thompson will be the next coach I have heard a few other rumors that cannot be confirmed so as of now I will go ahead and congratulate Coach Thompson, a wonderful guy who did a killer job with the JV this past year.
Where do you think he will end up?
I'm not sure, I would imagine after 24 years he had to have a job in line to leave and I wish him the best. Coach Casey is a great dude, always an intelligent basketball conversation to be had with him. Hope he ends up somewhere he's always wanted to be!
well not trying to bash him or anything but i thought that Belfry always could have done better under his watch,they have had some good players come through there.
Opinions aside, he's put a ton of work and 24 years of his life into our program and is a lover of the game and has a great future ahead of him.
A good coach and a great guy. Done a great job at a football school.
best of luck to him
I hear him and Kelly Wells are pretty good friends.
This decision is going to make for some interesting discussions. On one hand Belfry was fortunate to find a coach to stick around this long and put in the effort that Coach Casey has. This is a football school without question and no doubt is a tough situation. On the other hand there is no reason that Belfry cannot be a basketball power in the 15th region again. They have the athletes and have proven they can be dominant in this region albeit it was 20 yrs ago when they were. Belfry has been mired in mediocrity over the last 15 years with only a few regional runner ups to show for it. Is that the coaches fault? Well he is in charge and there are many many people in the community fed up with the lack of control, lack of enthusiasm from the principal and also in the recent direction of the program to cater to WV boys. Anxious to see a good hire and if its Thompson then expect a lot more mediocrity in the years to come.
It will be Mark Thompson, announced today or tomorrow.
region Wrote:It will be Mark Thompson, announced today or tomorrow.

What about the Pike County hiring freeze?
Thompson is already a teacher there, just a transfer of extra duties.

Once again Pike County politics at its best.

I am sure this has upset Phelp's coach, Bobby Varney. He wants out of Phelps and wanted the Shelby Valley or Belfry job.
region Wrote:Thompson is already a teacher there, just a transfer of extra duties.

Once again Pike County politics at its best.

From what I have been told hiring freezes include all positions including coaches.

If this is the case then the expectations at Belfry will continue to be competing for district championships and a ton of 1st round exits in the region. Just sad. Belfry basketball, mediocrity at its best.
The talk around FoodCity -

Mark Thompson is the hire for just the summer, main target is Frankie Smith, next in line Garland "Rabbit" Thompson.

If neither of those come then Mark Thompson is your man.
region Wrote:The talk around FoodCity -Mark Thompson is the hire for just the summer, main target is Frankie Smith, next in line Garland "Rabbit" Thompson.

It has to be true if it came from the wise men of Food City.:yawn:
region Wrote:The talk around FoodCity -

Mark Thompson is the hire for just the summer, main target is Frankie Smith, next in line Garland "Rabbit" Thompson.

Why it's in that order I don't understand... Rabbit is a younger coach, coming off of two state titles and the asking price would probably still be lower. Can't we just have Raymond or at least his kid back? :/ Lol
Belfry called Smith three times and from a source close to the situation Smith told them he was not interested.
Best if luck
Jed you are clueless my friend....your so called sources crack me up...
Belfry0304 Wrote:Why it's in that order I don't understand... Rabbit is a younger coach, coming off of two state titles and the asking price would probably still be lower. Can't we just have Raymond or at least his kid back? :/ Lol

Smith is the younger of the two by quite a bit. He's been a head coach longer but he is definitely the younger of the two.
Smith is definitely trying to get the job, he wants a raise with it though. Pike Co. and Belfry are not able to do that now with the hiring freeze etc. and I don't think Belfry is going to pay to get a coach.

Couple things are very weird about this situation -

Casey resigns and congratulates Thompson for getting the job on Facebook, Twitter, or in the paper, but the school has not announced anything.

One name in the community and mentioned once on this thread is Coach Varney at Phelps but the administration wants no part of - bad blood or something else?
Well u r correct, he definitely is the younger of the two, but other than that completely clueless
Leonidas Wrote:Smith is the younger of the two by quite a bit. He's been a head coach longer but he is definitely the younger of the two.

Though I did think Frankie was older, I was just meaning that Rabbit isn't an "old guy" ... but that does surprise me that he's younger.
Could it be that Varney can't coach?