Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One and Done
Ok, so with the recent events that has happened with Noel in my eyes it has opened a conversation with the one and done rule. IMO, I believe that a kid isn't mature enough to handle the pressures out of high school; not physically but mentally. Also, you will have your superstars like Kobe and Lebron every 10 years but when you look at numbers as a whole, it really doesn't effect the overall nature of the beast (so a few superstars to go a year or two wouldn't hurt the overall picture). My argument would be how could we help this situation from happening? Noel will still go onto the NBA and have some money come his way but what about the ones who can't continue and not have the talent level to still achieve such goals? My rough draft solution is a small one but something that will open up a discussion to hear other thoughts. What if you took a certain percentage of the money generated every year (say 15%) from the athletic program and gave it back to players? You would have to play a certain amount of minutes with your time at the school; the longer you stay the more you earn. The money is set aside and the kids are open a fund for that money to go into. In the case of leaving early or injury the kids can pull the money out once they withdraw from school or earn a bonus for getting their degree. I know society is a "my kid should get a trophey to" days, but this is reality and I'm sorry but more are talented than others and honestly life isn't fair. Just an idea and could really get into depth but a broad picture and I would love to hear what others think. What are your ideas?
You will get the conversationthese kids are already being payed with a scholarship.
The "one and done" is an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. That said, I think that if a kid leaves after his freshman year then his scholarship cannot be filled for at least two years.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:The "one and done" is an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. That said, I think that if a kid leaves after his freshman year then his scholarship cannot be filled for at least two years.

If Huggy Bear were able to recruit that kind of talent I doubt you would have this opinion.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:The "one and done" is an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. That said, I think that if a kid leaves after his freshman year then his scholarship cannot be filled for at least two years.

That is by far the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You would be losing possible tens of thousands of dollars alone.
Its fine the way it is.
It's an NBA problem, not a college basketball one.

And, the NBA sucks, and its boring, personally i like making them come to college so we can watch great players, even if only for a year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its fine the way it is.

And, the NBA sucks, and its boring, personally i like making them come to college so we can watch great players, even if only for a year.

Yea, it's a fine line and like you said it is a NBA problem. I just hate to see kids make universities substantial amounts of money with no return. Yes, they do get a college education but honestly how long does it take a college graduate to make a millions dollars over their working career; some are fortunate but across the board id say it takes the average graduate his whole career. Sam Bowie is a good example because what if he didn't get to return his senior season? I think the 1 and done system creates so much corruption that it makes kids do things they normally wouldn't do but given their situation are forced to (steal). Also, when a university gives a "Tim Tebow" for example a lunch meal and a dorm, is that fair? The kid generated "millions upon millions" of dollars in ticket sales, apparel, merchandise, public relations, etc. and say he has a life altering injury his senior year and they send him packing with a hand shake and thank you. Is that really fair? Just saying, I guess your right. The system is what it is and there may never be a perfect picture. It's a tough situation to be in charge of and make decisions (nba and college), just look how far the high school scene and kids have come. 15 years ago, a team on the TV would have been insane to talk about. When the kids come to college they are far more progressed than they have ever been and going to the NBA quicker is their right to get paid.
I hate the rule and yes it is the NBA's doing. Alot of college man hours goes into making sure these kids are eligible and that their scholarship paperwork is correct, etc...just for them to be here for 1 year, and we all know that after the first semester, they are pretty much a no-show in the classroom. Now, as a fan I enjoy seeing them play but I also would like to have a "team" and not a revolving door.

My suggestion to the NBA would be first to do away with the rule. If they have an issue with high school players coming straight to the NBA, then these players should have to spend their first year in the D-League. If a player decided to go to college, they should have to stay at least 3 years with an option to leave early (but they have to pay back their scholarship money).

If Huggie could land a one and doner you'd think it was the greatest thing
that ever happened and would scream bloody murder over your proposal here.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its fine the way it is.

I completely agree. Essentially these kids are learning their craft. They are PROS yet. They shouldn't get paid. Next thin u know it will trickle down to high school.

Pay the med student while u are at it.

I HELP make my company millions of dollars a year. But I'm not paid based on what they make. And I'm considered a professional in my field.

I think some of these guys could use help as far as money goes. But they shouldn't be paid to play until they make the pros. That way if they don't make the pros they need to stay in school and pursue something else
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Blah blah blah blah blah

Let's say Noel blew out his knee his rookie season after going straight to the NBA.
He's got a ferrari payment, his mom's mortgage and his outrageous bachelor pad payment - he gets cut and has too much debt to maintain when he resigns the next year for a smaller salary.

It would be nice if he would have...
A.) Been a little more wise when he entered the league
B.) Maybe taken an accounting class in college
C.) Had a degree to fall back on

There are arguments for both sides.

But IMO set the league max at 1 Million a year, tax the hell out of the revenue the NBA would make and use it for something useful.
zaga_fan Wrote:Blah blah blah blah blah

Let's say Noel blew out his knee his rookie season after going straight to the NBA.
He's got a ferrari payment, his mom's mortgage and his outrageous bachelor pad payment - he gets cut and has too much debt to maintain when he resigns the next year for a smaller salary.

It would be nice if he would have...
A.) Been a little more wise when he entered the league
B.) Maybe taken an accounting class in college
C.) Had a degree to fall back on

There are arguments for both sides.

But IMO set the league max at 1 Million a year, tax the hell out of the revenue the NBA would make and use it for something useful.

First of all, NBA first rounders have 3 year GUARANTEED contracts,
they can teoretically be cut, but they still get the 3 years' money.

Second, you're an idiot for proposing more taxes.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I completely agree. Essentially these kids are learning their craft. They are PROS yet. They shouldn't get paid. Next thin u know it will trickle down to high school.

Pay the med student while u are at it.

I HELP make my company millions of dollars a year. But I'm not paid based on what they make. And I'm considered a professional in my field.

I think some of these guys could use help as far as money goes. But they shouldn't be paid to play until they make the pros. That way if they don't make the pros they need to stay in school and pursue something else

I thought i had heard a few months ago that they were preparing some way to pay student athletes?
I agree with everything you said however. To me, the college game is so much better in the both sports. I hate the NBA, and although i love the NFL, college football is still better.
Observing Wrote:First of all, NBA first rounders have 3 year GUARANTEED contracts,
they can teoretically be cut, but they still get the 3 years' money.

Second, you're an idiot for proposing more taxes.

1.) Noted - but no way he pays off the debt that young guys like that would accrue with their new paychecks.
2.) Don't call me an idiot - it's against forum rules.
zaga_fan Wrote:1.) Noted - but no way he pays off the debt that young guys like that would accrue with their new paychecks.
2.) Don't call me an idiot - it's against forum rules.

Sorry, I apologize, I just see red at the mere mention of more
taxes.
Nevermind!! I just learned that Noel had a 10 million dollar insurance policy taken out. Any college player has the ability to take out a insurance policy against future earnings. My argument is irrelevant. But I would still like to see athletic departments give back a little more because of the money they make.
It is sad in one respect because Noel got a scholly only to go to class one semester. There is probably a deserving kid at Lawrence County HS that could use that scholarship to UK. And before you smack me, I also feel the same way about WVU.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:It is sad in one respect because Noel got a scholly only to go to class one semester. There is probably a deserving kid at Lawrence County HS that could use that scholarship to UK. And before you smack me, I also feel the same way about WVU.

Well maybe the deserving kid at Lawrence county should have worked his ass of in the classroom and got a education scholarship.
He earned the scholarship he got. Simple as that.
inspiron Wrote:Nevermind!! I just learned that Noel had a 10 million dollar insurance policy taken out. Any college player has the ability to take out a insurance policy against future earnings. My argument is irrelevant. But I would still like to see athletic departments give back a little more because of the money they make.

I agree that the athletic money generated by our institututions for higher education is incredible. What would college tuitions be without this source of revenue? Go onto the internet and research how much cash money these players are putting in their pockets each year. You gonna be surprised!
inspiron Wrote:Nevermind!! I just learned that Noel had a 10 million dollar insurance policy taken out. Any college player has the ability to take out a insurance policy against future earnings. My argument is irrelevant. But I would still like to see athletic departments give back a little more because of the money they make.

They give these guys free tuition, equipment, room & board, tutoring, school supplies, transportation around campus & Lexington, free plane rides, free hotel stays, free health care, etc...

IMO, they give enough.
judgementday Wrote:They give these guys free tuition, equipment, room & board, tutoring, school supplies, transportation around campus & Lexington, free plane rides, free hotel stays, free health care, etc...

IMO, they give enough.

Don't forget that these players can cash out unused portions of these benefits, well within the guidelines of NCAA rules.
Id blow out my knee on purpose for 10 million, than never worry about playing the game again and live life on a beach somewhere.
It's not like he'd get that entire $10m, wouldn't really get close to that, lol. It was just the normal plan through the NCAA.

Love to see him come back but can't pass up going lottery with only one leg though IMO. He could definitely comeback still too, his family isn't hurting for money or any of that.

Who purachased that policy???? I have sold AD&D insurance policys and know very well that a policy like that cost big bucks.
You can take policies of any sort based on future earnings? Didn't LeBron lose his entire NCAA eligibility over that?
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Who purachased that policy???? I have sold AD&D insurance policys and know very well that a policy like that cost big bucks.

I really don't know but yea the premium would be insane!! I just seen on the TV where they talked about him having one and they didn't go into details. The only people that in my eyes that can afford something like that would be the university.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You can take policies of any sort based on future earnings? Didn't LeBron lose his entire NCAA eligibility over that?

Don't recall LeBron losing eligibility, and he was never concerned
about eligibility to begin with.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I thought i had heard a few months ago that they were preparing some way to pay student athletes?
I agree with everything you said however. To me, the college game is so much better in the both sports. I hate the NBA, and although i love the NFL, college football is still better.

The college level is better because they aren't getting paid to play yet..
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Interesting article I came across, while reading on ESPN and it made me remember this thread.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8990966