Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullitt East/Willis
Looks as if Derek Willis of BE is really starting to come into his own. After being ejected early in the season and having to sit out a couple of big events, Willis has shown a great deal of maturity in his basketball skills but more importantly his personal development. His performance in the Whataburger tourney in Texas(all-tournament) was outstanding. East recently went 2-1 in the Bass Pro Tournament Of Champions at Missouri State U. Willis averaged 21 points 8.3 rebounds 3 assists and 3 blocked shots while joining some serious talent on the all-tourney team. Look for Willis' stock to begin to rise with the national exposure.
When Willis grows into his body he will be a good player at UK.
When you look at the caliber of player Calipari recruits, Willis is gonna have trouble finding minutes IMO. Wiltjer is a liability....Wills is similar and doesn't shoot it as well
Calipari could have one of the top recruiting classes ever coming in next season, so there could be alot of guys not getting as many minutes as they might like. The comparison to Wiltjer is totally off base as Willis has better skill in every basketball fundamental. Athletically Willis is far superior because he has the ability to elevate and run the floor. Does not shoot it as well as Wiltjer but how many big guys do? The win saturday night was against Bobby Portis' team. Portis is 6' 9 and ranked #11 in the same class. Willis finished with 19 points 9 rebounds 6assists and 6 blocks. Watch this kid, he has something to prove.
The Chargers beat Arkansas Hall who has Bobby Portis going to Arkansas. Portis is ranked 14 by Rivals, the stats from that game and word from the media out there said Willis is far better. Willis sent Portis's first shot out and he was timid the rest of the game.
Have had the pleasure to watch Willis numerous times. He is playing with a sense of urgency that I haven't seen in him before. I believe that he brings an unusual skill set that you normally don't see in a kid with this length. Three of the hottest coaches in college basketball offered the kid almost immediately after seeing him play. Should tell us something!
Willis is much more athletic than Wiltjer.
I repeat....minutes will be hard for him to come by at UK. Too slow to guard on the perimeter and too weak to guard the post.
Give him a few years at kentucky and he will shine! I could be wrong. He could be another Jon Hood?
I don't see him being strong enough to play major minutes early in his UK career. Johnson, Lee, Wiltjer and any one else who returns out of the Noel, Cauley-Stein, Poythress trio will be ahead of Willis in terms of playing time.

If he works hard in the weight room and dedicates himself to the game he will earn more time as he develops.

I fail to see the Wiltjer comparisons that many people continue to make. Willis is a different type of player. More of a traditional 3/4 where as Wiltjer has more of a European style skill set.
Easy fellas..nobody is saying the kid will start as a freshman. The point is that Willis has shown great improvement over the last few weeks and considering that some people have written him off, could be a very pleasant surprise.
You compsared him to a 4*...in fact, you said he was better in every phase except shooting. So obviously you have high hopes for him. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed....I hope he's an all american because I'm a huge UK fan, but....
HD28 Wrote:When you look at the caliber of player Calipari recruits, Willis is gonna have trouble finding minutes IMO. Wiltjer is a liability....Wills is similar and doesn't shoot it as well
With all due respesct you said he was similar to Wiltjer, not I. The only thing I compared were athleticism and skill at basketball fundamentals. I too am a huge UK fan and I hope only the best for any future cats.