Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 69 Boyd County 62
The Lions only managed 13 first half points as both teams struggled. Also missed 12 free throws....what might have been....
Boyd played the worst half of the season, but made a strong run at the end . They did not quit !!!!!!
Far closer than expected. Hopefully, NCC can shake off the rust and play nearer its level of ability. NCC, if not "homered", should win this tournament.
I wouldn't pencil NCC into anything just yet.
Newport Catholic 14 13 22 20 - 69
Boyd Co. 5 8 20 29 - 62

Newport Catholic (9-0) - Pangallo 1, Bueter 29, Dupont 7, Seibert 6, Devoto 2, Haas 2, Schulte 8, McDonald 14,.

Boyd County (7-6) - Hunt 21, Stacy 11, Wallace 1, Jarrell 4, Taylor 2, Griffith 8, Anderson 2, Burgess 7, Lowe 6 .

3-point goals - Bueter 2, Stacy 2, Griffith, Lowe

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312280007
ozzy72666 Wrote:Boyd played the worst half of the season, but made a strong run at the end . They did not quit !!!!!!

I'm guessing by the number of ! you put after your statement that you are excited that Boyd didn't quit. Isn't that expected?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Far closer than expected. Hopefully, NCC can shake off the rust and play nearer its level of ability. NCC, if not "homered", should win this tournament.

Harry give us a scouting report on NCC.
Leaping Lee Wrote:Harry give us a scouting report on NCC.

Some have NCC as the top team in the 9th Region but I would be more inclined to put Covington Holmes (13-0) at the top with CovCath (9-1 with a win over Archbishop Moeller and a close loss to Louisville St. Xavier) a close second.. NCC has won two close games on the road- Dixie Heights (65-63), Cooper (44-42). They beat Boone County handily (65-41) at home. Several wins have been against lesser teams.

NCC plays a hustling and tight defense. The Boyd County total of 62 is the second most scored against the Thoroughbreds this year.

The offense is usually led by Mike Bueter (Senior Captain) with strong help, as last night, from Drew McDonald (Sophomore), Mike Seibert (Senior), and Jake Schulte (Junior).

If NCC plays as it did in the fourth quarter last night, they cannot beat Russell and Ashland- particularly on Ashland's home floor. It is my understanding that, for tournaments such as this, the host school chooses the referees. That can prove to be a bit of a problem for those coming from a distance and a bonus to the local schools- particularly the host school. I'm not condemning the selection practice but merely stating a well known fact.

Still, if NCC plays very well and if they aren't hampered by untimely and unbalanced foul trouble, they should win the tournament. That is not meant to take anything away from either Russell or Ashland. Both are dangerous teams- particluarly Ashland with the home atmosphere).

I hope that answers your question, Leaping Lee. Best wishes to you.